3D Modelling A Slot Car - Dodge Monaco

53 replies to this topic

#41 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hmmm... can we see a production team up in the works?
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#42 choc-ice

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

I'm off to a slot car exhibition today, we'll see what sort of feedback I get when the car is seen on the track. To say I'm nervous is an understatement, but I'll let you know how it goes.

If I pick up any design changes I'll incorporate them before making one more prototype, then start doing them in batches of 5.
3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

#43 choc-ice

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

What's been happening over the last couple of weeks?

I'm glad you asked - I took the car to a slot car festival and had a huge laugh around the Circuits To Scale Pioneertrack. Everyone who drove the car had a huge grin even though we weren't setting any lap records. It's just as fast down the straight as the Pioneer cars but slower around the corners, I think because there was so much grip that I couldn't get the tail to slide, very unlike how the car is on plastic Scalextric track.

A few things came out of the testing - the springs really need to be easily adjustable to suit different track surfaces, the steering linkage needs to be stronger because we managed to break it, the guide blade should be lower to avoid de-slotting so easily and the kingpins should be bigger than 1mm because they're starting to wear the hubs.

This is on top of all the other modifications like more clearance around the guide wires, adjustable wheelbase, better retention of the nylon bushes etc.

Want to see how it looks now? :P

Posted Image
I couldn't resist adding some tailpipes. You'll have to humour me, sorry.

Posted Image
The wheelbase adjustment is in the L brackets along each side. I've made them bolt through the side and the top to give better stiffness. This should make it much easier to fit under other slot car or model kit bodies

Posted Image
Suspension leaning nicely, as anyone who saw (and drove) the car will testify.

I need to sort out how tightly I can nest the parts to get the chassis made, then I'll order 2 for testing. After that, we're into production! Bodyshells are being made now with clear resin or vac formed police lights.

#44 manimmal

I'm Rad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'll be very interested to see where the $$ comes out at, i'm pretty sure my track needs one, and then when i take it racing, well, you get the point.

No fouling issues, anything like that? ie can a trained monkey build one with only basic modelling skills?

Will you be supplying them with all the running gear, or what do we get?

OH, and what are you going to do when you get orders for 8 million?
My mum says I'm an excellent driver

#45 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Bring it on! Let's get more of the beached whale yanktanks wallowing around the track like they should do.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#46 choc-ice

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

View Postmanimmal, on 05 June 2011 - 10:12 AM, said:

I'll be very interested to see where the $$ comes out at, i'm pretty sure my track needs one, and then when i take it racing, well, you get the point.

Will you be supplying them with all the running gear, or what do we get?
Cost for the whole lot is AUS $145, that's as close to 95 as I can get - you guys can keep the 57 cents ;) Not sure how much post and packing is from England to Australia, but whatever you get charged from other places, I'll match (unless it's free!)

That will include everything you need to get running, but you'll need to paint the bodyshell.

No fouling issues, anything like that? ie can a trained monkey build one with only basic modelling skills?
I certainly did :D

The chassis will be fully assembled like this
Posted Image

And the bodyshell is like this
Posted Image

All the clearances for wheels at full travel will be done.

If you're at trained monkey level like myself you don't even cut out the windows. Prime and paint the whole lot silver, then mask off the bumpers and headlights. Then paint the whole lot white (or black and white if you're after that colour scheme) and you're done. I then lay on some aluminium tape over the windows and cut out the outline you don't want. I've found it easier than pre-cutting the tape then positioning it.

If you're more talented, there's vac-formed windows included but you'll need to gut the resin bodyshell to get them fitted. There's no interior for the moment and I'm not sure whether to build one or not.

OH, and what are you going to do when you get orders for 8 million?
Get a bigger kitchen table to build the chassis on?

#47 choc-ice

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

What's been happening lately? Sitting on my hands?

Not quite, I've started a new job which is a lot more interesting, so slot cars have taken a back seat, not helped by a delay in getting wheel centres made by Shapeways. Their ultra detail resin machine was broken for several weeks so by the time their backlog was cleared about a month had passed.

Fortunately, that's all cleared and now I have resin wheel inserts with the correct dog-dish hubcaps. Want to see them? Good shot showing the exhausts too...

Posted Image
What's the red car in the background? He's getting away ;)

Posted Image
You can just about see the Sheriff in hot pursuit

Posted Image
Wooah, that Charger is fast! He's getting away

Posted Image
Catching him...!

Posted Image
Four tailpipes leaving a cloud of four star haze

Posted Image
Gonna catch him

Posted Image
Got him! Cuff him and stuff him, deputy!

This is the underside, you can see the split just ahead of the motor, this is where the wheelbase adjustment is done. Ninco sprung guide, adjustable springs (with the same hex key as used on the alloy wheels) and enough paint to make the exhausts look realistic
Posted Image

#48 Mohawkk

prettiest rally car 2011-12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Looks great
Love,
Kai Posted Image

#49 choc-ice

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:19 AM

Someone with far more skill than me bought two bodyshells and interiors and created two iconic Police cars

Posted Image

Posted Image

The detail on the driver figures just blows my mind. At the start of this project I didn't really want an interior, but this has completely opened my eyes to what can be done
Posted Image

#50 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

It's got cop tyres, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say?

Love it!! :D

Posted Image

#51 Burglar

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

These are great!

I'd like to seem some 'Crazy Larry, Dirty Mary' action myself.
Posted Image

#52 Eno the Wonderdog

Woof Woof and erm.. Bark

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Those are quite magnificent! I love the idea of the cars lurching about on the saggy US suspension.. be just like on telly!
Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

#53 choc-ice

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Time to bring this up to date! I've used the Sheriff's car as police car in most of my videos at some point

Youtube

And as most people buy them to use with an orange car, I thought I'd do the same. No video yet, but I took some photos. When I can think of a storyboard for the video I'll shoot one :wacko:

Posted Image

Fitted with Scalextric digital chips and SureChange guide to never miss a lane change, even with the tail out and leaning over. The chassis is much simpler to build if you compare the photo below with the original at the top of this page. And it's easier to adapt to other bodyshells.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by choc-ice, 22 July 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#54 shadow_rusty

"Team ABC" Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Love it...
They just keep getting better and better...

The digital idea is great as it lets you run 5x Cops and 1x Bandit...
The aim can then be to box the bandit in... lol.
Posted Image
Stolen from SlotsNZ

Team ABC Team Leader
(Ambitious, But Crap)

Home Track Threads - Shadow's Semi-Permanent Layout & Another Rug Racer & Proud of It & Gymkhana Test Track
Car Collection Thread - My Car Collection
Charts / Diagrams - MJK Tyre Selector
/ Slot.it 4wd Gearing / PoliCar Rollout / [size=3]Rollout Chart Generator / SCX 4wd Rollout / Track Wiring with Brake on Track Call

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users