3D Modelling A Slot Car - Dodge Monaco

Looks great. Now, add in a sound chip with appropriate tyre screech sounds on steer and roll, and the world is your oyster. :D

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Looks great. Now, add in a sound chip with appropriate tyre screech sounds on steer and roll, and the world is your oyster. :D

In the early '80s I had a Scalextric sound system which did that and it was more annoying than anything!

Would that chassis fit under the scalextric dukes of hazard dodge? and will it stand up to a jump over a creek/broken bridge/etc ? This project has so much potential for digital car chases.

That's a good quesion - for the moment I don't know the answer. I'll try and pick one up this weekend, then I can see how it looks for body clearance when the wheels turn. One of the changes (suggested by Ember) is to make the wheelbase adjustable so that shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how the Charger's wide wheels will fit under the rear arches, and how to make the front wheels spin on the stub axles but not fall off. The police car has a nut that's hidden under the resin wheel cap.

As for how tough it is, once I've taken the car to the slot car exhibition on Sunday, it'll get tested to destruction to see where it fails. The steering joints for the hubs and steering linkage are all in double-shear so they're pretty tough

3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

That is so awesome! Man I would definately buy one of those, you planning on selling them?

Can't believe the big companies can't produce anything like that, yet a sole individual can! Good work mate. ;)

Yes, I'll be selling them, prices and delivery dates should be available in about 2 weeks. I'm trying to figure out how to get my costs down and how much is a fair price to sell for, and hoping that the difference is in my favour a little :blink:

It's nothing that the major manufacturers couldn't do, I'm a design engineer who loves cars, but that's nothing special I'm sure. The complexity and cost might be putting them off? Or the fact that cars going slower could be a good thing ;)

I'm off to a slot car exhibition today, we'll see what sort of feedback I get when the car is seen on the track. To say I'm nervous is an understatement, but I'll let you know how it goes.

If I pick up any design changes I'll incorporate them before making one more prototype, then start doing them in batches of 5.

• 2 weeks later...

What's been happening over the last couple of weeks?

I'm glad you asked - I took the car to a slot car festival and had a huge laugh around the Circuits To Scale Pioneertrack. Everyone who drove the car had a huge grin even though we weren't setting any lap records. It's just as fast down the straight as the Pioneer cars but slower around the corners, I think because there was so much grip that I couldn't get the tail to slide, very unlike how the car is on plastic Scalextric track.

A few things came out of the testing - the springs really need to be easily adjustable to suit different track surfaces, the steering linkage needs to be stronger because we managed to break it, the guide blade should be lower to avoid de-slotting so easily and the kingpins should be bigger than 1mm because they're starting to wear the hubs.

This is on top of all the other modifications like more clearance around the guide wires, adjustable wheelbase, better retention of the nylon bushes etc.

Want to see how it looks now? :P

Adjchassis2.jpg

I couldn't resist adding some tailpipes. You'll have to humour me, sorry.

Adjchassis1.jpg

The wheelbase adjustment is in the L brackets along each side. I've made them bolt through the side and the top to give better stiffness. This should make it much easier to fit under other slot car or model kit bodies

Adjchassis3.jpg

Suspension leaning nicely, as anyone who saw (and drove) the car will testify.

I need to sort out how tightly I can nest the parts to get the chassis made, then I'll order 2 for testing. After that, we're into production! Bodyshells are being made now with clear resin or vac formed police lights.

I'll be very interested to see where the $$ comes out at, i'm pretty sure my track needs one, and then when i take it racing, well, you get the point.

No fouling issues, anything like that? ie can a trained monkey build one with only basic modelling skills?

Will you be supplying them with all the running gear, or what do we get?

OH, and what are you going to do when you get orders for 8 million?

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Bring it on! Let's get more of the beached whale yanktanks wallowing around the track like they should do.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I'll be very interested to see where the $$ comes out at, i'm pretty sure my track needs one, and then when i take it racing, well, you get the point.

Will you be supplying them with all the running gear, or what do we get?

Cost for the whole lot is AUS $145, that's as close to £95 as I can get - you guys can keep the 57 cents ;) Not sure how much post and packing is from England to Australia, but whatever you get charged from other places, I'll match (unless it's free!)

That will include everything you need to get running, but you'll need to paint the bodyshell.

No fouling issues, anything like that? ie can a trained monkey build one with only basic modelling skills?

I certainly did :D

The chassis will be fully assembled like this

IMAG0030.jpg

And the bodyshell is like this

IMAG0060.jpg

All the clearances for wheels at full travel will be done.

If you're at trained monkey level like myself you don't even cut out the windows. Prime and paint the whole lot silver, then mask off the bumpers and headlights. Then paint the whole lot white (or black and white if you're after that colour scheme) and you're done. I then lay on some aluminium tape over the windows and cut out the outline you don't want. I've found it easier than pre-cutting the tape then positioning it.

If you're more talented, there's vac-formed windows included but you'll need to gut the resin bodyshell to get them fitted. There's no interior for the moment and I'm not sure whether to build one or not.

OH, and what are you going to do when you get orders for 8 million?

Get a bigger kitchen table to build the chassis on?

• 2 months later...

What's been happening lately? Sitting on my hands?

Not quite, I've started a new job which is a lot more interesting, so slot cars have taken a back seat, not helped by a delay in getting wheel centres made by Shapeways. Their ultra detail resin machine was broken for several weeks so by the time their backlog was cleared about a month had passed.

Fortunately, that's all cleared and now I have resin wheel inserts with the correct dog-dish hubcaps. Want to see them? Good shot showing the exhausts too...

IMAG0172.jpg

What's the red car in the background? He's getting away ;)

IMAG0171.jpg

You can just about see the Sheriff in hot pursuit

IMAG0173.jpg

Wooah, that Charger is fast! He's getting away

IMAG0178.jpg

Catching him...!

IMAG0177.jpg

Four tailpipes leaving a cloud of four star haze

IMAG0175.jpg

Gonna catch him

IMAG0174.jpg

Got him! Cuff him and stuff him, deputy!

This is the underside, you can see the split just ahead of the motor, this is where the wheelbase adjustment is done. Ninco sprung guide, adjustable springs (with the same hex key as used on the alloy wheels) and enough paint to make the exhausts look realistic

IMAG0176.jpg

It's got cop tyres, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say?

Love it!! :D

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg