Oz Rally Round 9

kalbfellp

I was going to post this Friday morning,but though all you guys might just think it was an April fools joke that we have finally managed to get to the final round!

The cars are here and all unpacked ready for the final round, finally.

I checked all the cars yesterday and cleaned the braids and tyres.

Haystacks car really needs some more tyres BUT he has decided it it not worth the effort.

The Shelmore track is lacking grip at present ( lack of use) so will need some more rubber down before the first stage later this week.

I will post some pics of the track in the next few days.

Edited by kalbfellp

This is the Shelmore Rally track almost ready for Stage 1 of the Final round of OzRally 2010/2011.

ShelmoreRallyTrackpainted.jpg

The fold up barriers are still to be fitted in this pic. Scenery will be a job over the winter when the shed extension is completed and i have some more room.

Well Stage one and two have been completed and Stage one results are all collated and sorted.

Stage1.jpg

A few changes is positions with some cars not liking the "loop" and would not flow also a couple of cars had some real grip problems,possibly Ortman tyres??

But the change of direction for stage two produced some very different results.

More in the morning when I have a chance to download and sort the results from the Track computer.

Wow. Huge difference between a good lap and a bad. I see Pheno's best lap sitting at 8.266. Must've been an absolute blinder of a run. Almost a full second ahead of the next best from SmallNails at 9.229.

Feel free to forget my little blue buzzer ever existed Phil. :rolleyes:

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Mel your car would just not Flow in the loop section on stage 1. The two fast lap times are errors as both cars had an OFF in the loop and the marshall (grand daughter) had to reach over the counter. Minimum lap time was set at 8 for the first stage.

Stage two was run in the opposite direction and I was very surprised that the loop section was the make or break for some cars.

356 speedsters Porsche was just a dream to get around the loop (his time would have been even better had I not had an off with it)as was Dave's little Talbot,IMO this car was a real surprise it was very fast thru the loop.

Then I looked at the times early this morning I was surprised with the times that some cars had put up. A big change for some cars.

Stage2.jpg

Now to adjust the track elevations for Stage 3 later this week. This will be interesting,judging on the first two stages.

Edited by kalbfellp

Manic, no matter what I clean your tyres with I just cannot get them to grip on either surface. The track is finished with acrylic for the brown areas and the road surface is ferodor with a thin coat of satin enal over the top. What tyres are they??? The only other car was Tazracers that had similar grip problems. I have sanded them today to see it that will improve them for stage 3.

Manic, no matter what I clean your tyres with I just cannot get them to grip on either surface. The track is finished with acrylic for the brown areas and the road surface is ferodor with a thin coat of satin enal over the top. What tyres are they??? The only other car was Tazracers that had similar grip problems. I have sanded them today to see it that will improve them for stage 3.

To be honest Phil, I don't remember what brand the rubber is on the car...

I appreciate you giving them a sand, hopefully it will do the trick. :)

Just wondering if there is a mistake somewhere in the stage 2 results, the No. 15 buzzer seems to be in an unusual position. Has the driver been swabbed?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Like many of you I am surprised just how different the track was when run in the opposite direction. This was the first time the track had been used that way for an actual event. I had driven over 100 laps to ensure that it was rubbered up both ways. BUT the loop is very different when the car has the "straight" to build up speed. Some cars worked really well others just would not turn into the loop.

Edited by kalbfellp

Shelmore Rally Park underwent some changes last week! All the rain made the track grow several inches in height.

Tracklow.jpg

Trackhigh-1.jpg

This reverse camber corner caused a few problems even resurfacing did not help a lot.

Mels Healey was lifting the rear wheel on every lap thru this corner during stage 3.

But the change of direction for Stage 4 made the corner a lot more drivable.

Trackbenchend.jpg

But we managed to get the final two round completed O/K

Stage 3 on the new elevated track cased a few problems for some cars but the front runners remained the same.

Stage3.jpg

Stage 4 in the reverse direction did give a couple of cars a good result.

Daves Talbot and Munters Fiat were surprise packets.

As was Espsix's Porsche that really liked the uphill section and the loop.Big Surprise this one also.

Stage4.jpg

This track really suited the big Torana and being able to stretch its legs on the faster "straights" helped.

But the smooth Porsche of speedsters was never very far behind.

Alans Opel and Stigs 240Z are very similar to drive and even sound the same, just like in a real rally car, noisy!

Dave's little Talbot was a real pleasure to drive on the elevated track.

Round9results.jpg

Just wondering if there is a mistake somewhere in the stage 2 results
well, I'm wondering the same thing about stage 4.

Plucked from obscurity and then tossed back into it.....luv it.

Thanks Phil

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Well done to Phil on the round win. Also to Tore and Stig on the runner up spots.

It looks like the Opel lurked around the podium through out the round but just wasn't quick enough in the end. a reasonable result just the same.

It was interesting to see different cars move up and down the finishing order throughout the event.

Phil's comments on Munters car handling better going in one direction was interesting. I found that the case at my round with most of the SCX Fiat Spyders as well. I wonder if the dominate number of corners in one direction and the torque reaction from the motors had some bearing on this. going in the other direction the fiats had a propensity to want to flip over.

Cheers Alan

All done and dusted eh? Phil. You can finish the track now :lol: :lol: :lol::P

Congratulations to the top 4 - nothing in it, any one of them could have been at the top of the podium.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg