Pontiac Park

digby

G'day Steve , No rain and no braid this end so just working on the barriers for the odd do-nut(looking more and more like a NASCAR oval :lol: . I can't tie the rest down until the last bit of braid gets here.Good luck with your's.I'll post more pics soon if any-ones interested.regards to All digby,thanks for looking.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

G'day Steve , No rain and no braid this end so just working on the barriers for the odd do-nut(looking more and more like a NASCAR oval . I can't tie the rest down until the last bit of braid gets here.Good luck with your's.I'll post more pics soon if any-ones interested.regards to All digby,thanks for looking.

Im in the same spot - I only have 1/2 the braid I need for the job as well

I managed to have a play around on a local oval track Tuesday night , lotsa fun and fast action , it was door to door for about 50 laps . It did make me think the straights Im making may be too long for 1/32 cars but I have to allow for 1/24th cars to stretch their legs as well . I may make a couple or shorter sections for the straights later on after its built and run on a few times , bit of a wait n see thing there .

I hope to have it built and running by mid June . maybe quicker if I can stay off Auslot for a while :lol:

Edited by BMR

G'day Steve, Another big day of MDF,thought you might like these questions.

pontiacpark002-4.jpg

how high for an over-pass?

pontiacpark003-1.jpg

how many cup holders on the power shelf?

pontiacpark004-1.jpg

how do you brush the aluminium?

pontiacpark006-1.jpg

what do the ford guys think their doing on the back straight?

regards digby

Wow its looking excellent , not long now and I'll be checking my mailbox for an invite :rolleyes:

re questions and answers :lol:

how high for an over-pass?

An overpass should always be higher than the underpass :lol:

how many cup holders on the power shelf?

Thats a trick question - most men drink from the can

how do you brush the aluminium?

The wife's toothbrush works well and watching her use it later is always good for a laugh cos she screams when her tooth fillings ring

what do the ford guys think their doing on the back straight?

By the look on the indians face I reckon the Ford guys are searching for reverse gear :lol:

Have you got any ideas for the infield areas , you have plenty of room for a pit area or grand stands if your into the extra work . I have a wrecking yard at one end but I have never really got around to filling it up with old wrecked cars , the most its seen is a few guard dogs and a little tin shed made up from a bit of painted corrogated cardboard .

Thanks Steve I knew you would have the answers.Scenery ? was going to be arcade style( metalflake and chrome) now thinking a secret test facility in the southern Flinders Ranges,but probably end up some where inbetween.Your oval is looking great, might need a beer and burger joint 1/2 way along the straight for the slower cars to take a break.

regards digby

Thanks Steve I knew you would have the answers.Scenery ? was going to be arcade style( metalflake and chrome) now thinking a secret test facility in the southern Flinders Ranges,but probably end up some where inbetween.Your oval is looking great, might need a beer and burger joint 1/2 way along the straight for the slower cars to take a break.

regards digby

re Oval track scenery - If the track ends up being hoisted up and down the extra weight may hinder me having any scenery unfortunately . But if its not too heavy I may be able to use some 3mm MDF sheet in the middle areas to put in some NASCAR style scenery .

I will have to troll through Auslot and find those fat redneck looking 1/32 scale figures for the infield

G'day All , A couple of pictures that may be of interest

pontiacpark006-2.jpg

pontiacpark007.jpg

second style just clips on

pontiacpark008-1.jpg

pontiacpark001-4.jpg

first style can be seen on the right of the overpass ,I'll put extras when I get more channel.

second style on the left of the o/pass.

hope these are of usefull to someone. regards digby

The clip on barrier is a neat idea , both styles do the job well . What size is the alloy channel , 12mm inside ID ?

Im curious , what is that red car with the dark roof heading towards the bridge overpass ? - Looks like a hot rod of sorts

g'day Steve, It's sold as 16mm channel fits firmly on the 12mm mdf. the car is a Patto's 32 ford. your oval is looking very flash.

sugarlips003.jpg

sugarlips002.jpg

Still practicing the brass work and painting ,but it goes well

regards digby

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Steve,Things are pretty slow on the shed front, hardest job is keeping the home brew warm enough.Still waiting for the braid to finish the other two lanes .At the moment I have a nice bench while I'm wiring the reversing switches

pontiacpark002-6.jpg

and watching the trees grow

pontiacpark004-4.jpg

Hope your health improves soon. regards digby

A few burbouns n coke have improved the health outlook :P

Its good to see a few soft bodied cars on a track , they are often overlooked these days in favour of RTR cars . A few are building soft bodies to race at my place , mainly aimed towards the sprint plus kits at this stage but one or two racers have mentioned some other they would be keen to resurrect , old style womp or international 32 brass chassis racing , using plafit fox motors in them instead of 16d motors . The speed freaks love them and they are hard to break . Im fairly open to any kind of car if there is enough players to race and marshal em

Is the art work behind the blue Ford yours - looks good , is there a plan to write Mt Panorama on the hillside

whatever happened to the thumbs up emote thingy ?

G'Day Steve,Good to hear you are taking your medicine.No plans to write on the hill, but if you look closely past the trees you may see a sheep station named Pontiac Park. The local Pontiac dealer owns the station and built the test track,car dealers come from all over the north to try out new vehicles.Pontiac Pete (Red to his friends) made a fortune trading army surplus and scrap metal that the Yanks left behind after the war,now the price of wool is so high he can afford to collect cars and race his mates at his track(if he ever gets it finished).Regards digby

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The tracks scenery is looking good . That FJ Holden in the video has the typical soft body FJ sound , those FJ vac bodies are like a bell they all seem to have the same gear mesh ( diff whine ) sound , where did you score that Kangaroo emblem on the kangaroo court track ? It looks like something that could have been on the dash panel of an early QUANTAS AIRLINES plane :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

G'day Steve,I've been working on the other track lately .But I've taken up population control,as they said 'populate or perish' now it's more populate and perish.

this is Igor ,named after the butler in Duckulla, very tall but once they have a name it's hard to get rid of them

004.jpg

and the old fart that looks after Red's cars

KangarooCourt0042.jpg

pity he wont do tyres on fords

regards digby

your oval looks good with all those cars ,great job

• 4 weeks later...