Scx Classic Rally Proxy 2011 Round 4

Copied from Oldslotracer's (Luf) post on SCI 8 Mar 2011, 11:00

"Got the qualifying done today, track is set to 13 volts.

We only run urethanes on this track, so there was a bit of slipping and sliding with these cars.

I'll get photos and video later this week, and hope to run the cars before the 15th. We plan to run the cars for 3 minutes in each lane"

2011SCXproxy.jpg

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

These are the series points (as I see them) leading into this - the 4th round

PointsasatRnd3.jpg

Details of the previous 3 rounds can be found here . . .

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

The race is run...we ran the cars at 14 volts, 3 minutes in each lane for a total of 9 minutes per car. Unfortunately we got short handed part way through, so we didn't get as much video as planned, but we got enough to give a feel of the track. I will be doing the editing on Monday.

It was good fun, thanks to everyone for letting us drive your cars.

The results...

2011SCXproxyrace.jpg

14 Volts. That has put the cat amongst the pigeons. :P

Not sure if the same driver drove all cars on each lane or if their were various drivers.

Sent a message to Luf on that question also to get some idea of the lap times and winners of each lane (stage) for the allocation of bonus points.

I had my money on the two Celica's but there you go! Shows what 14 volts does to some of the lower powered motors. Would be great to know the "offs" as well.

Well done John - hopefully more to come eh?

Bring on the Oregon Trail at Autumn Hills on the 26th March. The schedule shows a plastic track but there is a rumor it will be a new routed rally track.

Cheers Flipper

Results by Class

Round4totallapsbyclass.jpg

Edited by Ontheflipside

Congrats on the win John. One to be proud of...Dave

Dave, I must admit that I looked at the results more than a few times as I didnt believe my name was first. Luf must have been on the limit to keep it going so well as I remember at Mel's it was ok but nothing earth shattering.

Two posts from Luf on SFI

I'm involved in another Proxy, the SLOP proxy (Super Little Open Proxy).

Each entrant has to build a single lane wood track which cannot be bigger than 9 sq ft. Just for fun I decided to run the SCX cars on this track as a special stage.

This track is run at 9 volts and the results are way different from the Targa track. I ran each car for one minute and recorded the number of laps and the best lap. I put pictures of each car on my website (oldslotracer.com) and video is coming.

I'm not sure what you guys want to do with this information, but I had fun.

DSCN9743.JPG

2011SCXproxySLOP.jpg

For what it's worth, here's some video of the cars on the SLOP track...

Go to his web site for pics of cars on of the SLOP track HERE

Edited by Ontheflipside

After Oldslotracer sent me the details (lengths) of his two tracks it was possible to calculate the laps of the S.L.O.P. track to add to the total laps run on the three lanes however on checking the rules, they state there are to be three stages . . .

3. RALLY FORMAT

In short, rallying is a time trial sport where the cars race against the clock while completing defined stages (routes). A rally event consists of several different stages, often on various surfaces (tarmac, dirt, gravel, ice, snow, etc..), and the car that complete all the stages in the least amount of time is the winner of the rally

In our slotcar series the track hosts will arrange the events in a similar style as in real rallying. The hosts are free to decide how they want to present their rally event and organize it, as long as they follow these basic guidelines.

Each rally event is divided into 3 stages. Each stage is a single race (stint) within the event.

Each stage (stint) has a set amount of laps (distance).

After each stage the cars are ranked by time used to complete the stage. The 3 fastest cars in each class receive stage points.

The times from all 3 stages are added up to make the event time which rank the cars to receive time points.

Time points + stage points = event points which gives the final ranking and determine the winners of the rally event (in each class).

So at this stage unless Tore rules it otherwise I have calculated the event without the S.L.O.P. Stage. As Oldslotracer said "It was just for fun".

Here are the results for Lane/Stage 1

Lane1TargaBurnaby.jpg

Lane/Stage 2 Results

Lane2TargaBurnaby.jpg

Lane/Stage 3 Results

Lane3TargaBurnaby.jpg

Total Results by Class

TotallapsbyclassTargaBurnaby.jpg

I will try and finish the points in the morning.

Hi guys

First I want to give big thanks to Luf for hosting this great event for us. Your tracks are some of the best in the world so it's an honor to have our cars rallying on them. The reported pic's are fantastic and I especially love the video's that give us an insight on how the layout flows, the grip level and how the cars behave, something that otherwise would be near to impossible to describe through pictures and text. Thanks Luf!

As for this event being measured in distance rather than time, is my fault. I forgot to inform Luf about this even though I knew most races in US and Canada are measured by distance. As much as we want these little events to be perfect, real life sometimes gets too busy and consuming to keep up with all spare time obligations. Luckily for the series though, we have some very dedicated entrants that step up and keep things running when it's needed, so a big thanks goes to Mel (Ontheflipside) and the other Australian hosts.

To get back to the scoring. The overall series scoreboard only records points from each event, so it really doesn't matter if the event is measured by time or distance, and now we have the results per lane, which has given us 3 independent stages, just as we like it ;) About the SLOP stage results, the rules say 3 stages per event, and that was written with the intention that every event should reward the same amount of bonus points, so that all the events are equally important points wise. But since the SLOP stage is run, scored and documented with video, it would be a waste not to use it. Not just because it's located in slotcar mekka and built by the master of routed slots, but because it offers the huge difference and demand very different qualities from the cars, compared to the large main track. This Is how I want this series to be, tough and demanding!

So, I will include the SLOP result as a 4th stage. Bonus points will only be rewarded for stage1 (lane1), stage2 (lane2) and stage3 (lane3). After converting laps to distance the SLOP stage account for about 5% of the total distance, and 0 bonus points, so the final results will reflect the overall event without rewarding more points than other events. Case closed.

Here is the re-worked score sheet for round 4 with laps converted to distance in Meters:

gallery_434_503_141142.jpg

IMPORTANT: to allow points to all 32 cars, the old points scale has been increased with 2 points. The old scale went to maximum 35 points + bonus points, The new points scale goes to maximum 37 points + maximum 9 bonus points. I will rework the score sheets for the previous 3 events and post the overall series scoreboard. Increasing the scale will not affect the standings between the cars, except maybe for those who previously received 0 points, so again a big thanks to Mel for keeping the points posted in my absence.

As earlier we use colors to separate the classes, and now I have also added Gold (3 points), silver (2p) and bronze (1p) backgrounds to the top 3 of each stage, who gets the stage bonus points.

The total distance show that most of the top 10 cars managed to cover over 1.2 Km. Yngwie's Fiat won almost a lap ahead of the Wolves Abarth, but between the others in the upper half it's pretty close. In fact it was so close that even if the SLOP stage only account for about 5% of the total distance it still managed to shake around a few spots, including dropping my Lancia 037 from a respectable 2nd to a flattering 4th :)

Fiat 131 Abarths and the 4WD cars dominated the event, and the Targa showed us that the low and wide Ferrari's can really struggle for grip while the tall narrow Citroen DS can do the exact opposite and do surprisingly well (14th) when grip is moderate, and this is what rallying is about!

BTW: my hosted webserver has gone down so some older SCX CRP pics and documents are temporarily unavaliable, but it should get back up soon.

Regards

Tore

gallery_434_503_9937.jpg