BMR

Oval Track Do'S And Don'Ts

Missed answering this earlier Alan ,

I like the Daytona layout as well but the main straight I have will need a slight curve in it to get around the marshal box in the centre of the main ( road course ) track underneath it.

I cant really go higher, if I built the oval so it could sit above the marshal box it would end up being somewhere around chin height for the shorter drivers :lol:

I figured on having the oval main straight on the same side as the road course track and the largest radius corner at the end closest to the computer screen .

After fiddling around a bit today routing from the edge looks like a good option for the larger radius corner - opening out the lanes like Syds track . Only the inner most lane will need the raduis arm so I can squeeze the inner lane over .

Missed answering this earlier Alan ,

I like the Daytona layout as well but the main straight I have will need a slight curve in it to get around the marshal box in the centre of the main ( road course ) track underneath it.

I cant really go higher, if I built the oval so it could sit above the marshal box it would end up being somewhere around chin height for the shorter drivers :lol:

I figured on having the oval main straight on the same side as the road course track and the largest radius corner at the end closest to the computer screen .

After fiddling around a bit today routing from the edge looks like a good option for the larger radius corner - opening out the lanes like Syds track . Only the inner most lane will need the raduis arm so I can squeeze the inner lane over .

Hi Steve with that jig I reckon it's possible to use it to do the squeezes with it. The only issue being that the squeeze would go for the entire corner/bend from the straight onwards to the next straight.

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Im leaning heavily towards your method for routering the lanes using the tracks outer barrier wall edge Syd , but the squeeze lanes ( one at each end ) will be routered either by raduis arm using two slightly different centrepoints at each end for locating the raduis arm to get two different raduis arcs through the corner or using the flexible strips Lenny dropped around on Friday night .

Nothing happening at the moment though , waiting for the GP to start and the rain outside to stop .

Question for all , how many router bits ( 1/8th - 3.2mm ) did you use / break / wear out to make your track slots ?

A mate reckons I will probably waste 3 of them making this oval . ouch they're not cheap huh

I have used one to make my track,2 rally tracks and one of our guys used the same bit for his track and it is still good for more.

There are two main sorts HSS and Carbide spend the extra and buy the carbide one it will last for several tracks. I break a 4mm bit some years ago bounced the router and bit on the floor! That is the only way I have broken any.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Steve, buy a good quality bit & that bit will last you without breaking. I bought a good quality bit & have made 2 x 3lane tracks with it & its good to go for another track

Thanks

Greg

Cheers for the quick answers guys - you must be like me at the moment , waiting for the basket ball to get off the TV so the real sport can start :)

G'day Steve,Mine has done both tracks (80 metres of lane).I'm hoping it will do the next one.regards digby

I always thought they would last for quite a while but I was told by a mate , that has routered a few tracks , the bits he had didnt last too long .

They may have been bits from the Chinese neighbours if ya get my drift :unsure:

Okay that questions answered ,

I am getting a slow start on the track build due to a few reasons - weather , money , time , money , help lifting sheets , money , did I mention money ?

Anyway I have another question for people to comment on while Im scraping up the cash to get something more happening in the shed re the track build - could be a week or two before any new pictures etc happen along to post , so heres something to read and reply to if ya like . Doesnt have to be all serious either give us a few laughs if ya like

How would you build a slotty that only needs to turn left ?

Okay that questions answered ,

I am getting a slow start on the track build due to a few reasons - weather , money , time , money , help lifting sheets , money , did I mention money ?

Anyway I have another question for people to comment on while Im scraping up the cash to get something more happening in the shed re the track build - could be a week or two before any new pictures etc happen along to post , so heres something to read and reply to if ya like . Doesnt have to be all serious either give us a few laughs if ya like

How would you build a slotty that only needs to turn left ?

I thought you were building your track to run both ways so it if you built your cars to run in only one direction they wouldn't run in the opposite direction. However if you just weighted them the weight could be moved to the other side when you raced the other direction. ;)

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

yep your right Syd - I will run the track both ways but it would be NASCAR / Indy car anti clockwise and then run clockwise for Aussie V8s ( Auscar ) . Most people at my place will be running their cars on other club track road courses so they wouldnt be set up for left or right only turns . But some may set up a special oval only car . Alls for the fun of it huh .

I have some RMS stocker bodies that will probably get the left turn only tune up :lol:

I like the look of those Pioneer Legend cars that were posted up elsewhere on Auslot as well .

I have considered some ideas for setting up a car for leftys only but I thought to see what others may have considered as well , just for conversation value really

Edited by BMR

Made some more progress on the Oval track the last couple of days , , a mate from South City Slotcar Club ( Mr Dolphin ) came around and made the carpentry work a breeze ( he did it ) , saved me a lot of backaches

Both the corners are routered and the straights are in place ready to be marked out . definately a two man job the sheets are quite heavy as the end sheets are cut from 3.6 x 1.8 x 12 sheets . Managed to sit it all in place over the main track so it will clear everything it needs to clear .

The track has grown out to 8 metres end to end now - hope the 1/32 cars dont run out of breath on the straights , may have to run 15volts ? 1/24th cars will be able to stretch out the 16d rpm nicely I think . anyways heres a few pics below of the 12mm mdf in place ready for marking out and trimming 8 pieces in the end that will be assembled as the Oval is needed - much easier in the end instead of raising the whole lot via a winch n cable set up

Need to suss out a "simple" method for joining the sections and completing the power curciut for the lanes , I've seen a few different methods using dowels or similar systems . Im want to look at as many methods as possible , so if you have photos please post them

latejan2011photos008.jpg

latejan2011photos007.jpg

latejan2011photos006.jpg

latejan2011photos005.jpg

latejan2011photos004.jpg

latejan2011photos003.jpg

latejan2011photos002.jpg

latejan2011photos001.jpg

Edited by BMR

That's a f#$%ing big oval track Steve!! That will be quick, and test the legs of the Nascars!

Normal people worry me

Good one Steve. Delegate.What style of joint system are you planning to use.regards Digby

Hee hee , sorry Digby I was a bit vague on that photo request huh :lol:

What I meant was systems for joining track sections together - I have 8 sections that will pull apart so they can be set aside while I use the main road course track underneath the oval in my photos.

Syds joining system below is excellent . But I still want to see as many different techniques for doing this joining job as I can weight savings is one of my considerations .

sydsjoinsystem.jpg

Edited by BMR

That's a f#$%ing big oval track Steve!! That will be quick, and test the legs of the Nascars!

If the Scaleys and SCX cars seem a bit slow I can always juice the track up to 15volts to increase the legs :P Its actually the same length as the road track underneath , the difference will be the corner exit speed on the oval it will be faster compared to the road track so the SCX and Scaleys may be puffed out about 3/4 way along the straight

I was thinking the Scalextric NASCARS may make a come back , as you know most in the club have switched to SCX with the 42B motors for their NASCAR . Also as the oval has plenty of lane space the wider Scalextric Indy cars and the older wider SCX GP & Ninco GP cars may get some use again

The inline SCX will need their rear axle / crown gear clearance set up well , the constant lap after lap pressure pushing the crown gear against the pinion will put some pressure on the motor shaft bearing , the Scaley cars being sidewinders wont have that problem .

I also think the Scaleys NASCARS generally rev a little higher on 12v so they may have an advantage on the oval because they will wind up their RPM on the straights and by not slowing too much for the corners I expect they may have the speed over the SCX 42b ? Maybe ? It will be interesting to see how that theory pans out huh ? :unsure:

Edited by BMR

Hi Steve

Thats coming along nicely, Having Mark on board will be a big help to you too. Did you use the plastic strip?? If so how did it go? I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I wouldn't right off the SCX's just yet. I reckon they can run some different gear ratios than we have currently.

With all that routing going on over the road track could make things interesting on monday night for the F1 and V8 series final round.

Cheers Alan

Hi Steve

Thats coming along nicely, Having Mark on board will be a big help to you too. Did you use the plastic strip?? If so how did it go? I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I wouldn't right off the SCX's just yet. I reckon they can run some different gear ratios than we have currently.

With all that routing going on over the road track could make things interesting on monday night for the F1 and V8 series final round.

Cheers Alan

Naaa the track will be clean as a whistle for Monday night , got 1/24th to run around on Friday night :P

No didn't use the strip used the home made raduis arm .

SCX gear ratios swap may help but the straights are no longer than the road track so should be no problems - also it easier to go up a volt or 3 for everyone than expect everyone to swap gearing - of course that doesnt mean people cant swap gearing its up to them , i will only go up in volts if its really needed

I had a look at that link Yngwie , thanks for that , the tongue and groove method he made is not a bad way to join the sections and looks to be very strong although he did say he had an alignment glitch - only a minior glitch and he said he fixed it but hadnt tested it all yet - I will keep a close eye on his progress as he works out the bugs .

The spring loaded brass strip bits at the joins for the power coupling between sections is a neat idea . Mark D ( helping me with the project ) runs the braid down the end face of each track section and over a bit of sponge between the joins so the braids of each lane section make direct contact as the sections are screwed together - works well

Glad I asked for joining ideas , the more options the better. Im a week or two away from making any kind of conecting system for my track sections so seeing what other ideas are around for this job can only offer up more options for me to pick through . Its all only alignment and power connections but its also about $$$ for me . I hoard all sorts of junk so with some luck one idea from someone else may just fit in perfectly with some of that junk I have :P

There ya go Steve

You might find some usefull stuff in here

http://www.slotcar.org.uk/

thats that UK site I mentioned last week.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke