BMR

Oval Track Do'S And Don'Ts

just a bit of healthy critism,,,,,,,,, but before I upset the apple cart & start a mass riot,,, I need you all to know that,,,, I am Australian,,, I love my Meat Pie (no sauce),,,,& I rekon any organiser of a slot car race should play Our National Anthem (after practice,,before racing!!).

So I just want to say damn they're ugly vehicles but I'm sure a nice set of chromies,,Shiny black paint,,, adorned with racing livery to hide those awful curves will look awsome

That's okay Neil, I'm an Aussie and yet I'm not a fan of Holdens of any kind. An EH or an FC I can almost talk myself into, an FJ almost, but besides that no ...

I don't mind some other GMs, especially US ones (Buicks and Oldsmobiles can be pretty sweet, and Chev made the occasional good looking car, like the early Camaro, the 61-64 Impalas, and the Chevy II), but I've never liked Opels or Vauxhalls much.

Oh, and the Chevelle of course. Those were decent. Early Firebird is a nice ride too.

Edited by Burglar

ff48s6.jpg

I like the last bucket. Lots of character

Yes that last one , to copy a model of that one would be a great way to use up those old spray paint cans that have half a dribble left inside them

just a bit of healthy critism,,,,,,,,, but before I upset the apple cart & start a mass riot,,, I need you all to know that,,,, I am Australian,,, I love my Meat Pie (no sauce),,,,& I rekon any organiser of a slot car race should play Our National Anthem (after practice,,before racing!!).

So I just want to say damn they're ugly vehicles but I'm sure a nice set of chromies,,Shiny black paint,,, adorned with racing livery to hide those awful curves will look awsome

:lol: Im sure your an Aussie Neil and I dont doubt your patriotism but I bet your a Ford man , The FJ is a shape from yesteryear love it or hate it doesnt matter to me but they did have a long racing career and they were the worlds fastest four door in 1951

They probably are cars from over your fence Phil , the photos were mostly pilfered from " Old race photos .com " I should probably remove them ? they have a Copy right symbol on them .

I figured Im not making a buck from posting the photos and if people were wanting to copy and print those pics they could do it from here or the origonal site Oldracephotos.com

Its a great site for pictures and info for racing in Australia , if they were worried about copy right they could have put something in place to hinder people from copying the pictures or a watermark over the pictures , Im glad they havent done the water mark thing .

There are some good drag racing and speedway photos on that site as well as road course photos its well worth a nosey at

I like the last bucket. Lots of character

Yes that last one , to copy a model of that one would be a great way to use up those old spray paint cans that have half a dribble left inside them

Plus there's the added bonus of any race damage only improving its character.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

:lol: My painting skills suit the bomber style because my paint screw ups look like I deliberately made the car a crash surviver :P

My eyeballs arent what they used to be regarding modelling the flared guards to match side to side either

A friend commented " why is the left hand rear flared guard bigger than the right hand rear flare "

Quick as a flash my answer " Its supposed to look like it has been hit by another racer " :D

PS.

To cut myself a little slack , the body is a resin back cast ( slushy ) from a vacuum formed body that was a little twisted ( its a freebie factory seconds body ) the right side rear quarter at the back has the bumper bar set out wider by about 3-4 mm which makes it a bit harder when it comes to matching the flared guards up , in the case of this FJ it was ok as the car will run a wider grand prix tyre on the right side rear ( outside tyre on the oval track )

Will it work or will it track oddly along the straights ? Dunno yet but a friends offset sprintcar has been blitzing the rest of us on the oval the last two race nights

Edited by BMR

Yes that's it, there is a thread some where with pages of personal pics from members and it is great.

Search for personal photos. The first pic is Black Jacks Bobtail that a friend of mine here in Tassie owned for some years!

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Rainy day build , got inspired by an old movie .

Maybe the next one should be an English combatant to chase it around

th_060920121606.jpg

th_060920121602.jpg

th_060920121600.jpg

th_060920121599.jpg

Cheers Ember , all it needs is something like a peg running against the holes in the front wheel that goes " ratta tat tat " shootin at any trackside enemies :D:P

Bit of racing on the oval Monday Oct 8th

all lined up before the racing started - click the photo to enlarge it

th_20121008_200017.jpg

Close ups of the cars

th_20121008_210224.jpg

th_20121008_210123.jpg

th_20121008_210105.jpg

th_20121008_200313.jpg

th_20121008_200244.jpg

th_20121008_200221.jpg

th_20121008_200134.jpg

th_20121008_200120.jpg

th_20121008_200107.jpg

th_20121008_200059.jpg

th_20121008_200050.jpg

th_20121008_200038.jpg

Edited by BMR

Few more photos here of the night - sorry no photos of the stockcars too busy racing maybe next time

th_20121008_210046.jpg

th_20121008_210020.jpg

th_IMG_3922_zps698b4449.jpg

th_IMG_3921_zpsa407fda9.jpg

so how is the oval track when running by yourself // lonesome quality time?? do ou find your self cutting laps on the oval by yourself as much as you would the road curcuit??....

I never got to configure my track in to a straight out "D" curcuit,,,,, sort of talked out of it by PIC.,,,, thinking it would be repetively unfun,,, so hence I decided with the infeild configue. I still would like to make my track with the 2 options,,,maybe in near future or definately next build

Hi Neil ,

I never cut laps by myself on either track , too many other things to do around the house or elsewhere these days . If I was to run a car around on the track alone it would be after a tyre change as a quick check over lap or if it was a new slotcar build up . Most often about 3 - 4 laps to see if alls running ok then the car goes in the box ready for the next race night .

Over the years I have a fairly good handle on what works for car set up so any new cars I buy are set up on the dining table inside in front of TV - a lap or two is all they get , a new car may get some adjustment via a guide flag shim but usually its more lead in its belly . Im not anywhere near as competitive as I may have been years ago in fact I get more out of doing well with a car thats closer to stock out of the box than most of the other guys in the club with hours of tuning time and a bag full of after market parts in their cars . To be honest I have better things to spend my money on than slotcars ( oops slash that last remark ..... sorry to use such bad language on the forum )

I have to admit I rarely do maintenance on my cars until the last minute before racing starts and I have often been caught trackside at one of the other South City Raceways tracks with a car that needs work just to run in a race that I have known about for weeks via the club schedule .

I know Im slack when it comes to keeping my cars in top order but that doesnt bother me these days , Im in it for the laughs not the trophies , I will race hard when the flag drops but the only shiney cup I want after the racing is done is to hold my coffee or scotch n coke in :P

If I was to run any laps by myself it basically boils down to what track is set upto go at the time , most often the oval track is down and set up because its the easier of the two tracks for visitors to play on . Visitors that aren't into slotcars can come to terms with the oval track a lot quicker - only two corners and they're wide - no major braking judgements needed and less throttle control for visitors to learn . Plus as the cars the visitors use are all my cars it usually means less damage to the cars if they're playing on the oval .

The oval track always offers a lot of laughs and as a play thing for Sunday BBQs with friends & family the oval has proven to be a winner - much better than a pool table or dart board and ten times better than retrieving the backyard cricket ball off the roof all afternoon .

As far as which track do I prefer - for all out racing I still prefer the road curcuit because its more of a challenge to get the perfect lap on , but for laughs and a quick paced laps the oval is better , it is actually quite challenging to get a sequence of fast laps ( 30 in a row ) on the oval and for the people that like the thrill of a faster paced race the ovals hard to beat .

PS Neil

I forgot to say the brass chassis sprintcars are as tuff as nails and make the perfect visitors cars especially when they have the extra brass roll cage to strengthen the whole chassis up , plenty have bounced off each other and some even over the barrier fence onto the floor or into the wall , a bunch of plastic RTR car for the visitors would have died long ago

I must still be in the honeymoon period of slotting,,, some/most nights I just like to cut laps with my cars.... other nights I'll go out there with a mision of tuning a car for the coming race but no sooner have I pulled it appart,, I'll have another car on the track just cutting more laps. At the moment mt tracks going throu a cosmetic change so have'nt drove it for a week,,, withdrawlls... :mellow:

BMR Oval track and BMR road track could be up for sale soon , any interested people just pm me