1/24 Cox Ferrari 158 F1 - John Surtees

Here's another project I just started. It's a 1/24 Cox Ferrari 158 F1 slot car. I'm converting it to a 1964 Italian Grand Prix winner and Driver, John Surtees car. I'm not going for super detail but a mild but good representation of the car. You can see the changes I've done to the body in order to pull this off. Believe it or not, a lot work went into this body and it should look pretty cool when it's done. I've also used rivets (again) to pull off a little more detail. I'll try to show more photos of this car soon. Well I'm off to cut some windows for the Lola T70 I'm doing. I'll have some stuff ready soon to show on that build.

coxferraribuild.jpg

Looking forward to progress on this one - your attention to detail is inspiring for us budding modellers

I have ordered two of the Revell Midget Racer kits, the new ones hope to get half as good a finish with them as you do and I will be happy. Might have to give them the rivet treatment

cheers

DM

Update on the Ferrari. Instead of using the Cox pipes I made my own and used part of the original pipe section. Now it's on to the springs and rods. The car is coming along real well. I may do some more changes. Needless to say, it will be all cleaned up before painting. Anyway...Onward....

ferraribuildparttwo.jpg

Okay, here's an update on the Ferrari. It's going along pretty well. Needless to say, it's in the rough stage. I'll paint the brass and solder on the springs and rods in flat black to keep a real nice clean look. I added a little rod detail to the engine section. I'll add more detail later when I'm in the painting stage.

Anyway, onward...

ferraribuildthree.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind comments... cheers!

update...

I thought I would show what I'm doing with the driver. It's in a rough stage right now and it may change. I used the original Cox driver and body and then used the arms of another Cox driver (Chap 2D). I also used a Cox 1/32 Cheetah steering wheel. I may need to move it a little forward to give it more of a illusion. Anyway, it's very rough so keep that in mind. Check out the glasses. You can see that I have carved them out so when I'm finished painting I'll then fill them with clear epoxy.

I also did some more detail work on the gearbox. I'm getting real close now to clean up and paint. I'll shoot one more time once everything is cleaned up and do a build up so you can see the final mock up.

Onward....

ferraribuildfive-1.jpg

I did see your other post at another forum asking for photos for comparison. Might I suggest lengthening the drivers arms and shortening the steering shaft. IMO the driver looks dwarf-ish. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Do you still want photos? Here is Bruce McLaren at Monaco '66:

McLarenMonaco66.jpg

Edited by KarKraft

I did see your other post at another forum asking for photos for comparison. Might I suggest lengthening the drivers arms and shortening the steering shaft. IMO the driver looks dwarf-ish. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Do you still want photos? Here is Bruce McLaren at Monaco '66:

McLarenMonaco66.jpg

I agree. It needs to come forward. Thanks for the photo. That helps a lot. Cheers mate

thanks lads...

Update...

Well, the car is painted and clear coated. I shot this in the rough stage in order to show what it looks like before I sand and polish. In some cases I'll just polish. You can see the orange peel real clear. Needless to say, if you are using an air brush your painting should be smooth. You don't have much control from a can. The gearbox and motor are painted and will be detailed but I thought I would show the base in which to start with. There will be a few adjustments for a much closer fit on the arms. In general, I'm very pleased in the way this is all coming together. I'm working on the driver right now and should have some photos soon. Anyway, please keep in mind that this is in a very rough stage.

Onward...

ferraribuildsix.jpg

thanks guys...

Update...

Okay, the first part of polishing is done with a course and I'll be detail polishing with fine Tamiya compound. This will take a little while but worth it in the end. After that, I'll use regular polish to get a real nice shine. Already you can see the body is looking real smooth. The driver is done and I add some more little details later. Everything fits well. Lots of little details will start to appear on the car on the next photo shoot. Remember, I'm not going accuracy here but, a mild representation of the Surtees Ferrari and keeping in mind that this a Cox slot car.

Onward...

ferraribuildseven.jpg

Update...

Well, this is coming along real well. I've cleaned up a little and did some detail work. Thank you so much to everybody who sent me mesh. A massive help for sure. Most of the mesh sent to me was a little too thick. It made it hard to get the carburetor trumpets in. Needless to say, I went to my local "cannabis pipe" :roll: store and found a perfect mesh. This mesh was almost perfect in scale, very thin and very easy to manipulate into the shape I wanted. The problem with the pipe screens was that they were very small. I'm looking into getting sheets of this mesh and I'll give details later on where to get it. Simply amazing modeling mesh. Still got do a little detail work on the gearbox. I've done some changes to the driver which I will show later. Anyway, almost there. I should have this finished real soon.

Again, thanks for all the help on the mesh and photos... cheers!

Onward....

ferraribuildeight.jpg

Looks (if only the moderators could let me say what I really wanna say) Great !

How did ya get the rivet holes so straight and even ? And what paint did ya use on the exhausts and engine/axle assembly?

Great detail! The driver does look better with longer arms too.

Stunning as ever. I love the personality you manage to paint into your drivers.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction