Carsteen Controllers

kennedyrd

We noticed the interest in the controller Gil Andrews from the Kiwi team was using. Many of you wished to know more. Please look on his website www.hobbiesplus.co.nz as he is the Australasian distributor. That one was actually one of mine so is not even the latest version!

If you want a glowing testimonial ask Johnnie at Armchair! He and Mike used it without ever having used it before. It turned them both into instant "pros" on the small track. Johnnie is gonna start racing now once he gets one! Watch out all of you. We thought they were struggling on the big track using their Slot.its so Gil forced it upon them and the difference was startling.

They are not a cheap controller, but quality never comes cheap. Remember they will drive anything from a Scalextric (not even 0.5amp) to a G7 Open wing car (In excess of 40 amps under power!) so you will only ever need one troller to drive anything.

Guest jazzbell

Using a controller like this would be ideal on the tracks with NO grip or very little grip.

Their is not to many controllers on the market that when you adjust the choke(acts as turning the volts down)that works in 0 to 20 feet. Most slow you down every where on the track. Great product. :)

This controller would help in the midrange corners for sure. I can understand why this would have helped the guy's driving.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Oh Dear,..Whilst I am more than prepared to agree that the Carsteen controllers May very well be both an excellent design and well made etc, to suggest that ANY Controller Instantly turns someone into a 'Pro', is perhaps a bit of a Stretch.

One would have to suggest that they are probably pretty reasonable drivers in the first place !!

I am Sure that this Will upset probably More than just a few here, but may I suggest that there are 'Issues' with the way the Power is delivered to a slot car,..especially the Lower powered ones with almost Any Pulse Width style controller, as compared to controllers like the Carsteen, Ruddock and DiFalco style controllers.

No amount of Money spent on a controller can overcome poor driving habits/style and years of experience, smoothness and good finger position memory, can go an awful Long way to being a better/good/great driver, with almost Any brand of well made controller.

I am in No way suggesting there is anything wrong with a Carsteen,..far from it,..but for $788.00NZ, I would sure want that controller to do a Lot more than just control my Slot car !!

For that kind of money, one could almost argue that you could enroll in a Tech Course for Electronics and Learn how to Design and Build one yourself !!

Plus you would then have another way of making Money as an electronic repairer/designer, which the controller by itself certainly Won't Do !!,..lol

Johhnie MUST be a Very Rich Lad !!

Quite simply,..Way too much Money for myself and Many others I would suggest,..even If it made Great coffee and provided Other 'Personal Services' !!!,..

;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Offence Meant or implied,..just an observation from someone with a Limit to the depth of their Pocket.

:)

I should have added it also came with free "driving lessons" by Gil. I am talking over .5 sec difference per lap every lap on the small track. I hear what you are saying Stoo but think of it as a one off purchase, simply because it will do any car. Mike has raced metal with us once for an enduro and he didn't have a troller. Had he brought a Carsteen back then then that is it.

Johnnie has not got lots of money and he cannot afford it right away but he witnessed the difference. He was doing all he could to avoid racing as he was a "crap driver" by his own belief and by what he was told when he raced many years ago at Slot Shop! He was far from crap when he got the Carsteen in his hands! I think in a case like this could you get such a big improvement any other way? Maybe but the cost is probably greater.

Edited by kennedyrd

Stoo,have you tried a Carsteen?

Yes, although Not one of the current models,..to be honest, at the time I tried it, I was Not racing and admittedly, it Was a nice controller, but I think My 'Mind', must have decided for me from advice from my Wallet, that I Wasn't That impressed ,..rofl and perhaps at the time with the car I tried with it and track etc, it Didn't make That much of an impression on me. I can't even remember who owned it,...

I Should have added it also came with free "driving lessons" by Gil
,..Ah well, see now that makes a difference!,..lol,..but seriously, it's Obvious Johnnie Ain't a Crap driver eh, else I Doubt he would have seen such an Instant improvement as .5 sec' per lap.

I'll agree, a Great driver given better tools will always show improvement.

I agree it IS Only a one off purchase, but even so, it is easily One of The Most expensive controllers out there. Arguably a great investment if one Was actually racing Many different classes as say Gil regularly does. I simply could Not quantify it's purchase for Just Plastic Cars.

Controllers, are a Very Personal thing in My opinion, a bit like Loudspeakers, it very much comes down to personal preference and 'Feel' etc.

Please understand, I am Not 'Canning' the Carsteen, just expressing an opinion about it's Cost V Merits ratio.

To be honest, I am unaware of the controllers availability here in Australia and have Not seen anyone using one here (that I've noticed of late), so it's a bit difficult to make a modern comparison. May I suggest it might have been the PWM controller and/or how it was set that was 'Loosing' him that .5 sec per lap !!,.. :);)

Perhaps you can all 'Convince me at the MCN. :) ,.. Cheers

Like most electronic controllers you are paying for the development that goes into them.

IF these could be made in very large quantities the price should drop dramatically,but the market is limited.

I don't like the circuit board contacts as they do wear,this is common on most electonic controllers. PM controllers had nice brass contacts on the doide controllers But changed on the later versions.

Just did a quick currency conversion from NZ$ to Aust$ from the Westpac website, $788NZ equals $600Aust based on a .7622

exchange rate.

Makes the price alot more reasonable for you Aussies.

MD

Still twice the amount I've ever paid for a controller. Not on your life. This kind of mark up on a developing unit is too much. You don't try to re-coup your costs in the first hundred sold if you are serious about manufacturing them for a long period AND gain market share.

Stu

Old racers race harder

Not sure what you mean slots...."developing unit"

The Carsteen is well known in the States as well as Europe...not to mention NZ.

It would be interesting to know what everyone uses as their number one controller.

Maybe someone could organise a poll?

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

It would be interesting to know what everyone uses as their number one controller.

Maybe someone could organise a poll?

I use a modified parma turbo with external hand wound resistor (use the ceramic element out of those small wire wound electrical heaters) with multiple taps. Very 60s technology but it works. You need to contact wizardgm for the ducks guts in electronic controllers and all for under $100. The adjustable activation point for the power mirco switch is worth 0.2s. I know Ive used it.

cheers

rick1776

Hmm,..well, DiFalco's and Ruddocks sell here for virtually the Same price as in the States and one could probably argue, that after the basic Parma itself, both the DiFalco and Ruddocks would Have to be listed as a couple of THE Most Popular controllers around, especially in the US.

For the Price of 1 x Carsteen, (plus a Few extra Bucks), one could Purchase 2 x Top of the Range DiFalco's,..even Less if you Built them yourself from the Kit parts !!

I too have Never spent Anywhere Near that kind of Money on ANY of My controllers in 40 years and have assembled Most of My own.

In fact my current controller, is a Circuit Master, by the late J.Fuga, which has been Modded by myself, (Different Wiper arm assembly and custom resistor network etc) and I Must say, for Far Less than $160.00 I am extremely happy with it and is 100% reliable, Light in the Hand and so far, has been Perfect for My Retro, Plafit and 1/32 racing.

The Most expensive controller I ever owned, was one of the Original Parma Double Micro controllers Waaaay Back when they First became available here and it was a Truly troublesome Beast. I always wanted a Gorski or Cotton when I was a Kid racing Opens,..lol but could never afford it. That Parma was 'The Ants Pants' in that era and I can tell you it did Not Make me a better driver.

I did purchase a Professor Motor Diode controller for use at SlotShop, but have Never liked it. I get a sore finger from using it for long periods and have Never really liked it's response OR Brake circuit. Any one want a Negative Polarity PM controller ?? going Cheap!! :) The Electronic ones seem OK, but are still a bit expensive for what they are. Will probably just stick with the other one in case I get back down there for a race again.

If I take the "Johnnie" example,..would it be suggested that with a Carsteen I could Finnish Ahead of Cody Bramble and Troy Boldy, instead of 3rd!!??

Somehow,..I think Not !,..

It Still Very Much comes down to ones Driving,..and NOT Coming Off !!,..Now,..if it Guaranteed I would Never come off using it,... :D

Oops, you guys have been looking at the wrong controller. The one that we were using is the $585 one, not the top of the line $788 one you talk about. That model I understand really is designed more for wing car racing I think because of the choke design which would have little effect on an RTR car at 20 feet. It is more akin to the 3rd Eye Gold Crown (No I didn't buy it cause it has a dental name!)I use for 1/24th racing which is over $1000NZD. I have directly shorted this out on a 90 amp /truck battery power supply repeatedly with no ill effect. A body clip had jammed into the motor comm and glowed red hot every time I squeezed the trigger while the car sat there and smoked!

My Gold Crown has 21 feet of choke and I can't notice a difference if the choke is on or off! However the choke on the $585 model of Carsteen we used works beautifully on the RTR cars. What I meant by new versions is every model is continuously upgraded, so the latest middle of the range model will be slightly different to my own ones which are a few years old now.

So is there a Carsteen Web site where one can find out the relevant differences/options of the various models?

I've Googled Carsteen and Only seem to be able to find Forum references or different Sales sites all sprouting the Same Basic information on the expensive model.

Stoo, I'm glad to hear your still happy with John's controller. I've forgotten how long I've had mine but I'm having to replace a couple of components now due to wear and tear. Mind you, it is the first one he sold so I'm not surprised. :P It's been a reliable controller until I blew the break pot from incorrect wiring of the plug. The controller wasn't at fault, it was mine for not checking the wiring properly before trying to pull lots of power. (Shut up Craig)

Stu

Old racers race harder

So much depends on what you get used to. I used a PM for ages then bought an NSR electronic and hated it for a few weeks. now its great. I don't use the choke much even if i should on low grip tracks. I prefer to find a way to get more grip. Also the brake pot is poor. Full brakes is fine but they don't go off enough i regularly race NC5s with no brakes and it is still too much brake.

Admittedly i run less brake than most guys but a simple resistor controller allows more brake variation. All the reports i have ever read about the third eye renegade 2 are extremely positive but people who buy something tend to big it up. Shane (jazzbell) and Ray from T birds have both just bought some whizz bang high band controller and think its the ducks nuts for 32 scale. Not sure of the brand though.

It would be interesting to get all of the different types in one place and do a review.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.