Sign in to follow this  
popdog

Slotits Are Great

Great photography, but would have scared the crap out of the driver, and yes, slot.it's are great. Just wish I had a track that fast to get some air-action.

Top photo, I love the reflection of the car underneath.

Speaking of Slotit's, Wife owes me a new car and thought about picking up a Slotit Grp C, Anyone got a personal favourite out of the numerous ones you can purchase?

I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

Anyone got a personal favourite out of the numerous ones you can purchase?

Yeah, All of them :lol:

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

Any Porsche is good but none of Slot-it Group C are bad. Have seen Mazda and Sauber in particular go very well. They appear to swear by Jag in UK and I have seen rave reports re Lancia in Aussy. I still think however Porsche is pick of bunch and better odds overall.

Note new Thackwell dark blue Sauber is first Group C out with new Evo 6 chassis and other refinements. One was entered in our recent 12 hour enduro and went very well when at best.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

that is a good shot of the Alpha in mid fight, the photo can only tell so much but now I'm interested in the rest of the track, any chance of of a write up with pics of the now famous Alfa giving details of a lap start to finnish ?

Any Porsche is good but none of Slot-it Group C are bad. Have seen Mazda and Sauber in particular go very well. They appear to swear by Jag in UK and I have seen rave reports re Lancia in Aussy. I still think however Porsche is pick of bunch and better odds overall.

Note new Thackwell dark blue Sauber is first Group C out with new Evo 6 chassis and other refinements. One was entered in our recent 12 hour enduro and went very well when at best.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks Chas, I had it down to 2 cars, I like the new Sauber with the Michelin man on it but the wife prefers a Tic Tac 962, either way the cars sound like winners!

I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

Glad to be of help.

Yes the Michelin Man one is the Sauber I meant. Think it was driven by Kiwi Mike Thackwell.

Our team raced the Tic Tac Porsche at 12 hour enduro. Great car but numerous trips to the floor knocked it about a bit. We only came third but another 962 won with Mazda second.

Did notice that short nose on Tic Tac seemed to hamper guide wires but I put a small amount of hotglue on front screw mount to fix (Car is a 962KH). Normal 962C does not appear to have this problem. Both have a slightly longer wheelbase than 956 models but not sure whether that is an advantage or not.

See photo of my two cars attached.

Newcars001.jpg

Good luck with your selection.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Did notice that short nose on Tic Tac seemed to hamper guide wires but I put a small amount of hotglue on front screw mount to fix (Car is a 962KH). Normal 962C does not appear to have this problem. Both have a slightly longer wheelbase than 956 models but not sure whether that is an advantage or not.

The 962KH 'Tic Tac' is my pick of the Slot.it Group C Porsches. The issue with the wires fouling on the short nose can also be fixed by stripping back the insulation a few mm. This allows the wire to run at more of an angle, clearing the inside of the nose. I've not had any issues with this method weakening the wires at all.

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by M3Fanatic

Hi,

I got 3 diffrent slot-it cars they all run nice on my wood track once you set them up to how you like to drive, they all seem to handle a little bit diffrent but they just are great cars.

Top photo, I love the reflection of the car underneath.

Speaking of Slotit's, Wife owes me a new car and thought about picking up a Slotit Grp C, Anyone got a personal favourite out of the numerous ones you can purchase?

Hi Jon. Ta for tip. I achieved by runnung wires direct to guide rather than thru holes provided and flattening them out to side. Did not affect self centring and proved quite durable. Car was still going after 12 hour enduro with only lubrication required. Added complication was fitting of compulsory Slot-it lighting kit but that is another story. See picture below of final result.

TicTac24102010003.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Jon. Ta for tip. I achieved by runnung wires direct to guide rather than thru holes provided and flattening them out to side. Did not affect self centring and proved quite durable.

Thanks for the pic Chas; good to have another solution up my sleeves. There's a bunch of wires in there but I understand that it was required fit for the event!

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by M3Fanatic

Hi again Jon.

The light coloured wires behind the front axle were replacement ones I installed for lighting system. The originals conflicted with the front axle no matter what I did. Kit may well fit other Slot-its OK but TIC TAC was a real problem.

As stated however the lights performed real well for the full 12 hours as it was easier to just leave them on all the time. 3 of the 4 cars did the same.

Another nice Porsche is the just released yellow and black "Newman" model or I think the "Mugello" model is due out soon. I like the "C" cars (956 and 962) rather than KH ones as the fins are low profile and just about indistructible even if the wing comes off. When the TIC TAC wing came off we ended up breaking both fins in the end although this would not have happened if we had fixed the wing immediately. For this reason it is a good idea to reglue the wing on all Porsches as every one of ours (except white kit one which I built myself) has lost wing at some stage.

See photo of TIC TAC damage.

Endurodamage001.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi again Jon.

The light coloured wires behind the front axle were replacement ones I installed for lighting system. The originals conflicted with the front axle no matter what I did. Kit may well fit other Slot-its OK but TIC TAC was a real problem.

As stated however the lights performed real well for the full 12 hours as it was easier to just leave them on all the time. 3 of the 4 cars did the same.

Another nice Porsche is the just released yellow and black "Newman" model or I think the "Mugello" model is due out soon. I like the "C" cars (956 and 962) rather than KH ones as the fins are low profile and just about indistructible even if the wing comes off. When the TIC TAC wing came off we ended up breaking both fins in the end although this would not have happened if we had fixed the wing immediately. For this reason it is a good idea to reglue the wing on all Porsches as every one of ours (except white kit one which I built myself) has lost wing at some stage.

See photo of TIC TAC damage.

Endurodamage001.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Oh dear that does look like a sad Porsche ,hope you can fix it

Car is still running fine except not much left of pickups after 12 hours. Was amazed they lasted the whole distance - over 6000 laps. Contrate and pinion like new so says a lot for Tamiya Ceramic Grease.

My brother has all the bits (much more than wing/fins) and expects to be able to put back together. Only bit we did not find was one main light lense.

See extra photo showing all the bits that fell off.

Endurodamage003.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Ta Phil. Yes aware of that but not sure I want to spend $10 or there abouts for one light lense (Scrooge).

How is that dam holding up your way? Hope housing etc not under threat if it goes. Flooding in Queensland etc is just unbelievable.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Chas, as already mentioned, that body damage is pretty major - you guys put it through the ultimate test buy racing it for that distance/time. Almost worth ditching the whole body and changing over to a new body kit; perhaps the challenge is in restoring it. The Tic-Tac livery would be difficult to recreate though on a new body (at least with my level of modelling skills!).

Cheers,

Jon

Guest jazzbell

Thats one great looking photo of the Alfa. :)

The link to the track that its on looks like one hell of a track.

Some more photos like these would be well liked here ;)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Edited by jazzbell

Yes shane it is one hell of a track if you are ever in launceston look us up the cars and the track are a real blast

Cheers Slider