Race Coordinator (Software)

Yngwie

I've set up RC for Mark's 3 lane track at Bonogin Valley Raceway. I've used a an Arduino clone and everything works perfectly until I decided to run a test race. Race starts OK but the first time you resume from a track call the software crashes at the end of the countdown when the green lights should come on. There's an error message that disappears too fast to read, but I suspect it's just telling me that the software exited unexpectedly.

I don't see how it can be hardware related because I can turn the track on and off a thousand times in practise mode and pre race practise with no issues and it always crashes at the exact same point.

RC version is 1.11.2.0

I've never used RC or an Arduino before (clunky little things aren't they), any ideas?

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Hi Garry,

Have you tried a yellow flag in practice mode?

Yes, works fine everywhere else. If I don't use track calls the races run through no problem. Does the same on 2 different PCs.

I'll see if I can find another Arduino but I don't hold out any hope as it crashes whether you use a hardware button or the menu, until then I guess Mark won't be having track calls.

Software shouldn't crash, period. Errors should be handled.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Firstly, try creating a new race using the wizard, don't change any settings, run the new race, and re-test the yellow flag issue.

And yes, there should be a check for any errors that will cause a crash before allowing the race to be saved / run.

But, Dave has offered this software free of charge (well, donation ware), and does the programming for it in his spare time, so I tend to cut him a little slack on these small initial setup issues...

ps. PM Sent Shortly...

Thanks Rusty, I tried setting up a new race but the issue is still there.

I don't use this software as I have my own system but Mark wanted something in a hurry for Sunday after another "expert" left him in the lurch. I haven't read the instructions (when all else fails,etc), so I think I'll let Mark worry about it.

Thanks for the PM, I'll send that info through.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Hi all,

I'm able to replicate this issue on my pc, so it appears to be a Arduino file or this version issue...

It works fine on parrallel port, but once on Arduino, I get the same crash after yellow flag in a race.

The following RC's seem to work...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Son of a sea serpent...

I finally figured out what was happening, and this is actually a very old bug...

If in your Arduino setup you have more lanes configured than there are in the track setup, this bug occurs.

Simple fix, edit the Arduino setup to remove and Lap / Relay / Pit numbers that are not actually used...

ps. Dave, if you see this, can you please have a look into this bug...

(Emailed to Dave, so hopefully he's able to fix this bug)

Edited by shadow_rusty

Truth be told, I figured it out ages ago...

But my painful brain promptly forgot it, and I didn't report it.

This time I've documented it, and reported it to Dave who is already looking into it.

Thanks Dave for once again providing prompt excellent support of your great software...

Well done.

• 1 month later...

Do a search for RC.db and delete it.

The when you next start race coordinator it will he back to factory defaults.

Alternatively, you can just create a new practice race.

Actually if you delete the rc.db file it will wipe out all your configurations (drivers, races, track and all). I don't think RC will recreate it, I think you'd have to create everything from scratch. If you go that route and want a "reset to factory" you can delete the rc.db file (and all the files/folders in the directory it is in, and then run the installer again. That will reset things.

I much simpler/safer thing to do is run the Expert Guided Race Setup. It'll start asking you questions, when you get to heat rotations select Practice. It'll take all of about 2 minutes and maybe 5 questions to get it done.

Yep, just tested it, and of course Dave is right...

To go back to 'factory defaults', you need to remove RC.db, and re-install RC.

But as mentioned, the best way is to re-create it, as it will give you a better understanding of what options are available...

• 2 months later...

Had trackmate for years and finally downloaded race coordinator was working fine and now the power stays on before the race when Im using the ir timing and the power turns off when the race starts but it all works fine with the dead strip setting any ideas out there thanks Phil.

Just using a lap top and USB adapter too trakmate interface

Edited by Phil.b

went to track set up and changed between ir and relays but no change and the power on and off on that screen is back the front when switching the laptop did a windows update would that effect it cheers phil.race coordinator works all perfect with dead strip and ir tower on practice mode only could it be a relay issue and running Windows 10

Edited by Phil.b