Race Coordinator (Software)

Yngwie

Glad you found an issue Dave...

I'll try to test it out later on my test rig here...

Thanks Phil for confirming that it all works, so hopefully, I'll be able to back that up...

ps. it was Matt.B that found and advised of the hard coding fix, but he is not on here very often, so I've helped spread the word...

Look I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere and I can't be bothered looking but is it possible to run two different versions of RC on one computer? We have the latest plus a trial that we are testing!

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Just install them in different directories, and rename the shortcuts, so you know which one you are starting.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

That's a VERY dangerous thing to do. They'll both use the same database and RC doesn't work if you update to a new version then downgrade that version. That is, if you downgrade, there's a very good chance you'll corrupt the database, so if/when you do eventually update you could be totally hosed. It's not 100% assured anything bad will happen, but if it does, odds are you'll only know it once you update versions. And the damage will almost certainly not be fixable by me or anybody else which means you'll have to wipe everything out to get back to a stable situation.

If you want to go between versions, you can backup the database folder so you have a copy for the old version and a copy for the new version. But then any races run while you use both versions will only be saved in one or the other databases...

Generally speaking I suggest updating if/when the timing is good and if/when you need something in the build you're updating to. And once you update, I do not recommend going back in any way shape or form, including backing up the database folder (because mistakes can be made). If you update, and there's an issue, I can assure you it'll be addressed as fast as possible. But that could still be days or longer depending on the problem and how well you work with me to resolve it. This simple fact is why I only recommend updating when it's a "good time" to.

-Dave

Oh, sorry if I've caused you any problem Syd.

I've been using two 1.8 versions side by side without any problem.

But haven't tried running the last 1.8 sine i installed 1.9

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

No problems Mark, another Phil is sorting races out with Dave and trying the new version out for the club. I have uploaded a lot of files onto my machine but it looks like I may have install another version for the upgrade!

I've created a few threads with the info I've put (and most repies) in this thread...

If you have provided files / information / unresolved bugs, I encourage you to do the same.

I haven't created a 'dim leds' thread as I believe that this bug is now fixed...

I really must appolagize to Dave for being lax in my testing of the new version...

Thanks Rusty, we moved quite a lot of threads, but that adds a lot more useful information into the best places.

I think the new timing/race control area will provide good service for the members.

Yes, I have blown 1.08 into both Uno and Mega boards - 2 brands of each, and they're all working fine with countdown and with LED green.

Next step - get some RGB LEDs and do cunning things with wiring them into circuit, so we get yellow under yellow flag, then countdown to green.

Dave, the new version is working perfectly to solve the DIM LED issue.

SlotsNZ, if you look at my circuit in the startlights thread, and watch the animation, you can see how my circuit makes the start lights work the same as on the screen.

Also, it makes all 5 LED's light up yellow, instead of 3x yellow and 2x green, if you are using just 1 green output (i.e. on a Uno)...

You guys know that with bi-color (red/green) LEDs the arduino supports driving red/green/yellow colors on the start tree. All you have to do is have the bi-colored LEDs and configure it. I can't remember anymore what the circuit you did is buying you. Maybe you're doing something beyond what I support...

There is also extended data in the arduino sketch that is unused. But if you use it, in general you can do whatever you want with LEDs coming on/off, blinking, etc. You just have to modify the sketch to do whatever it is you want.

Dave I am upgrading to the new version, the one Phil, from our club, has been trialling. Do I have to completely delete my current version to install or do I just install over the top?

You guys know that with bi-color (red/green) LEDs the arduino supports driving red/green/yellow colors on the start tree. All you have to do is have the bi-colored LEDs and configure it. I can't remember anymore what the circuit you did is buying you. Maybe you're doing something beyond what I support...

There is also extended data in the arduino sketch that is unused. But if you use it, in general you can do whatever you want with LEDs coming on/off, blinking, etc. You just have to modify the sketch to do whatever it is you want.

Firstly, there is no issue with Race Coordinator here...

But, because I'm on a Uno, and not a Mega, I use R1-R5 and G1 outputs to conserve input / outputs for relays and sensors.

My circuit just tweaks the LED outputs to make them match what you see on the screen.

Also, my circuit will turn the power back on to the track once the end of heat screen progresses to the pre race screen.

By default, Using R1-R5 and G1-G5, the start lights will light up yellow instead of red for each step of the countdown, and then turn green on go.

Using R1-R5 and G1 (connected to all the greens), the start lights will light up red for the first 4 steps of the countdown, and then on the last step, they all turn yellow, before going green on go (which is actually kind of cool as the yellow step is set to random).

With my circuit, also using R1-R5 and G1 (connected to all the greens), the start lights will light up red for each step of the countdown, and then all go green on go (which matches what is seen on the screen).

Also, on yellow flag, by default, Using R1-R5 and G1-G5, the start lights will light up yellow, off, yellow, off, yellow.

Using R1-R5 and G1 (connected to all the greens), the start lights will light up yellow, green, yellow, green, yellow.

With my circuit, also using R1-R5 and G1 (connected to all the greens), the start lights all light up yellow.

Not too sure how you would accomplish that with the sketch, if it's even possible.

Also, this way, when there are upgrades to the sketch, I don't have to re-figure it all out.

ps. Thanks again to Dave for this wonderful software...

My brain is officially blown. But I say whatever works works... I think as many users will have problems modifying the sketch as building the circuit you have. Whichever is easiest is the way people should do it...

I'll have to find time and double check that the arduino interface is working the way its supposed to with the bi-colored LEDs. I'm not sure if it is or not based on your description.

In theory you can do basically any LED work you can dream up inside the sketch. I provide race state information you can key off of that includes the countdown tree as well as things like yellow flags and the like. If its not in there, the intent was to add to the extended interface as users needed features. I know one user uses it to trigger a pin high for 5 seconds when the heat ends. That triggers some flag thing on his track that signals the end of the heat...

Anyway, like I said, whatever is best for each user... And you're right, doing things like that in a circuit prevents you from dealing with sketch upgrades. Although if you make the sketch changes "right" it should be easy to merge any new sketch I provide with your changes...

Also, the Scaley RMS track piece plugs into a com port on the PC, as does the Ninco lane extension piece.

Unlike the Ninco one though, the RMS piece is no longer available...

This obviously advantage these have over a Parallel port setup on newer laptops is that a USB->Com adapter will usually work with these devices.

At least, that was till the arduino solution became available, which is superior to both Parallel and Com port setups.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have been running Trackmate(usb version) on my new track for a week now and all good.

Downloaded RC yesterday and can't get it to work.

Running windows 8.1 thru a laptop.

.Net4.6 installed.

Have taken the following 2 photos to show where I am getting into trouble...any help for a Dumbass greatly appreciated....

1st pic, thru serial trakmate

P1000591_zpsrir31ft2.jpg

2nd pic thru parallel port

P1000592_zpsz15k0kiv.jpg

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion