gzminiz

Digital In Melbourne?

I recently sold my routed analog and i loved the racing and wood, I would like to do a wood digital track but Scorpius is just going to be out of the price range at this time. But, a ninco master track set could be obtainable possibly.i don't know it I will be happy going to plastic. Anyone have or had both?

I am leaning hard towards routed still and adding digital later though I have also seen where people incorporate non scorpius digital into a routed track, either by pulling flippers out of track piece or grafting plastic into the wood track. Also could produce a better track in my limited space if I can do two lanes mostly and up it to three in sections.

torn. Wish there was a commercial place with digital to have a go locally.

cheers

my thoughts (2 cents) save your money and and spend it on more cars etc and go wood. I met a bloke up here yesterday that has spent thousands on digital and after seeing what can be done with wood and simple analouge is getting rid of digital and routing a track, and is gonna come race with us. Hearing stories about plastic buckling in summer, having to buy a chip for EVERY car, running magnets :wacko::rolleyes: and the thinking that you have to do racing digital. He said most of the time they stay in the same lanes?

AND analouge you can take your cars to anyone elses track and GO, not waste money on more things that can (and do) go wrong

hat, coat..........................................

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

my thoughts (2 cents) save your money and and spend it on more cars etc and go wood. I met a bloke up here yesterday that has spent thousands on digital and after seeing what can be done with wood and simple analouge is getting rid of digital and routing a track, and is gonna come race with us. Hearing stories about plastic buckling in summer, having to buy a chip for EVERY car, running magnets :wacko::rolleyes: and the thinking that you have to do racing digital. He said most of the time they stay in the same lanes?

AND analouge you can take your cars to anyone elses track and GO, not waste money on more things that can (and do) go wrong

hat, coat..........................................

That was what i figured, just been thinking i could get a better track with my limited space. Don't want to have to sell another one cause the wife thinks it is too big. lol

Had crash course in digital racing over the weekend in Bendigo (Thanks Billy_Cart!!!!). Love it! For a pure race track digital is great. The strategy available might even manage to make oval racing fun.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I'm tossing up going to Scaley digital as I believe you can still run analog cars on it by a flick of a switch. (Most of the time it's just Richard & myself racing) With the PB Pro stuff about it might be worth while.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I run scaley digital with PB Pro etc. and find the race strategies, fuel simulation, pace cars make a small track challenging. Each of the people who race with me tend to have a preferred lane, but need to change lanes to pass slower cars or enter pits. One of the reasons for me for going digital was the ability to race six cars on two lanes with all the strategies involved. Related to this is the ability to set up several pace cars on different lanes requiring lane changing in order to compete against them successfully.

JohnXR8 has a digital wood track(see his thread in the Qld track section. He has cut scaley lane change components into the MDF and filled ove the top. To my knowledge he has had no troun=ble with expanding track - nor have I for that matter.

Hey Eric, I had 2 routed tracks before ever having plastic. Then sold them and bought the Scaley digital (with plastic track). The plastic I hated! Not realistic, impossible to get grip and the clickety clack when cars went over the track joints @#$%ted me! Digital was fun but even with PB Pro which is a must if you are going Scaley digital, I didnt enjoy it.

Last year I and a few slotters visited Rick (Scorpius)'s house and had a run there. Yes it was plastic but the digital compared to Scaley is not even close.

Scorpius will make Scaley seem toy like in comparison. I had the plastic digital set up for a couple of weeks but I and the kids got bored. Sold it off and made a third routed track. Awaiting Scorpius!

Cheers

John

I wouldn't go back to the plastic in a hurry. I like to the way the cars run on wood - nice and smooth

Digital is an interesting prospect - I am planning a new layout (aren't we all) I am considering 2 lane with the option to digitise it in future I like the idea of the Scalextric new PB which offers both digital and analog.

cheers

DM

Thanks all for the insight. I think I will go routed 3 laner again. If I am so inclined I might add lane changers in the future. I reckon using a good fun analog for a starting point of a digital track would mean it only gets better.

The smoothness of wood is the biggest thing for me. And I don't do mags, hehe.

Cheers

I'm a digital racer and love it to death, however don't really have the space at the moment for a routed track (not to say in the future it won't come). Digital is fun and adds all of the features (pit-stops/fuel simulations), however it's not perfect and seeing as I mainly have a go with the kids we simply don't use the pits and all of that as it just complicates issues. I had 3 cars on my digital setup with kids and the cars got trashed quickly, I tried running four cars and it was a marshalling nightmare. Bear in mind that I had 8 year old kids who had never used Scalex before (aside from 1 who was brilliant in that when a crash occurred he'd stop his car).

I'm yet to race/try routed (must get down to Yngwie's at some point next year) and see how that sits, I think the only thing that a routed track would annoy me with is the fact that you can't easily change the layout, still I like the idea of adding spice with squeezes and the like.

I'll also admit that the new PB has added a new dimension in the dual analogue, I don't have an endless supply of digital chips and have to rotate about 10 between the 20 odd cars that we use.

A funny story is that on my visit to armcahir, the digital cars, or the ones with DPR chips would run in the reverse direction on the Armchair tracks, much to Jim's disgust, I had to take the digital chips out of the cars before they'd run in the right direction (and stop them from trashing the Magnabraid at Armchair).

Decisions, decisions.... there is no easy answer, digital is perfect for me at the moment but I'm sure at some point in the future that'll change, the moment I can get a routed track easily into the garage...

Offers open anytime Mark. You need to get in contact with Terry and the Central Coast guys. They race on routed tracks.We here at SWSRG dont need to change our layouts because we have 11 tracks in our group which get raced on every second week. Makes things interesting!

Regards

John

I had 3 cars on my digital setup with kids and the cars got trashed quickly, I tried running four cars and it was a marshalling nightmare. Bear in mind that I had 8 year old kids who had never used Scalex before (aside from 1 who was brilliant in that when a crash occurred he'd stop his car).

A funny story is that on my visit to armcahir, the digital cars, or the ones with DPR chips would run in the reverse direction on the Armchair tracks, much to Jim's disgust, I had to take the digital chips out of the cars before they'd run in the right direction (and stop them from trashing the Magnabraid at Armchair).

Did the kids destroy the cars by setting them on the track in the wrong direction and have head ons or were they raming in the back of the car in front?

Does anyone know if a digital car can be set to go in one direction only?

Drifter

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Why all this talk of digital or wood.

Why not go both? connect your digital PB to your wood circuit, cut in couple of cross over lanes and bobs your uncle.

Now the new DIDGI PB is on the market, its even easier. and if you wire it correctly you can run your analogue cars as well.

win win IMO.

The polarity to motor wires had to have been back to front. Same as if you wire an analogue car with motor wires reversed it will run in reverse. SSD cars run in both directions, and without brakes on analogue.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Why would running cars in the opposite direction trash the magnabraid?

Hoo Roo

Why would running cars in the opposite direction trash the magnabraid?

When any braided track is used ONLY in one direction for a long time the braid "hairs" lay in the direction the cars go,when you run a car in the opposite direction they lift these small bits of braid wire up.

This tends to apply mainly to tracks that get a lot or running, my braided home track still shows no sign of this after 3 years.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

I suspect if the braid was new there would be no hairs hence no issues running either way.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com