Ozrally Proxy Series 2010/11 - Round Five

Ontheflipside

ProxyLogoRn5MtSPOMedium.jpg

Yngwie and I met at a secret location in the wee hours of one morning and the cars were placed onto a transporter to be delivered to Mount Salt Pan Orama.

They have since arrived

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue016.jpg

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue015.jpg

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue012.jpg

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue018.jpg

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue007.jpg

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue006.jpg

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue009.jpg

I have run each car around the track a couple of times and most handle it quite well. A couple of issues so will post some details later.

Being so close to Christmas with family needs etc with myself and helpers I'm not sure when this event will be run. I need three marshals on this track but indications are we may get some stages done next week.

To have something to think about while you are chewing your turkey I plan to run a Prologue later this week - mainly for me to get familiar with each car and make notes for the Slot-it controller settings. Think we might have some more surprises from this round. Could be some cream amongst the wooden spooner group.

Edited by Ontheflipside
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Being so close to Christmas with family needs etc with myself and helpers I'm not sure when this event will be run. I need three marshals on this track but indications are we may get some stages done next week.

Nice pics OTFS. Next week i'll be 'Just down the road' at Newtown, so if I am around on the day you are planning on running a stage and I can break away from the inlaws, i'd love to drop by and help, spectate, take photos, anything.... for a couple of hours. Would be great to see one of these Proxy's in action.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

The cars look good on your track Flip. They should hopefully keep the 'natives' entertained for awhile. Save them trashing the place.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Nice pics OTFS. Next week i'll be 'Just down the road' at Newtown, so if I am around on the day you are planning on running a stage and I can break away from the inlaws, i'd love to drop by and help, spectate, take photos, anything.... for a couple of hours. Would be great to see one of these Proxy's in action.

Dave and I could come over Fip if you let us know when

I finish up tomorrow Mel and not back until the 18/1 so give us a yell if help needed.

That would be fantastic guys - will PM some info

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

After replacing screws to two cars - Taz and Embs, all cars are road (and sort of race) worthy except one. Car #23 Haystacks.

It would stop every where around the track.

The brass power rails appeared not to push down on the guide. Had a look inside and the rails were bending upwards. Maybe some soldering towards the guide had weakened them. I used some hot glue to hold them down and made the world of difference however there are two spots the car stops on every lap. Both slight off camber humps. Basically there is very little clearance under the car and the rubber on the back has different thicknesses and well worn down (check the lead weights on each side - almost touching the track) After 4 rounds seems weird?

RHS rear tyre - reasonably well worn

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue004.jpg

But the LHS rear tyre - not much left (about 1.5 - 2mm)

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue001.jpg

I thought of swapping the fronts to the rear as they are not too bad but they are glued on. The rears are not glued on??

OZRallyProxy2010_11Prologue003.jpg

IMO the car needs new rubber on the back - leave this to the Chief Steward

Edited by Ontheflipside

Mel: Stacks tyres still had tread on them after the round down here and over 1.5mm clearance, must be those Ferodor tracks!

There is no penalty for changing components IF they are changed for like. This will be a problem as he is using my tyres. Will see if I have any more moulded.

Mel: Stacks tyres still had tread on them after the round down here and over 1.5mm clearance, must be those Ferodor tracks!

There is no penalty for changing components IF they are changed for like. This will be a problem as he is using my tyres. Will see if I have any more moulded.

Who has had Ferrodor so far? For the record 75% of my track is Dulux Suede which will have almost "0" wear but the other 25% is Ferrodor. On that surface I can run (hard) cars for 2-3 hours without needing to replace.

If you have some rubber for Stacks car, it would be great to have them here by Friday "in case" we can run the round next week.

I finish up tomorrow Mel and not back until the 18/1 so give us a yell if help needed.

bludger

bludger

You got that right

Ah! Thats what I get for having so many hols and long service up my sleeve.

Mel I'm ok for either day . You name it ,I'm there .Scx rally looks as if it wont be here this side of 2010 anyway.

Cheers Craig

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

ProxyLogoRn5MtSPOSmall.jpg

Went out to the track to have another run of the cars to check desired the voltage and was held up by Mr Bean (AKA Rowan Atkinson) doing some hot laps.

bean1-289x300.jpg

Mustang.jpgRA.jpg5221702473_4ce3bdb3ec.jpg

rowan.jpg

It may come as a surprise to some that he is pretty sharp behind the wheel but has written off some big dollars. :lol:

I had heard he did well in the UK Rally Championships a few years back but was unable to find any info.

MiniCooperRaceCar.jpg

Any way Mr Bean out of the way I did some laps at a different voltage to last week (10v). This time I tried 11.5 volts and while most cars were quicker there were a lot more de-slotting. So for this field and to be best for all cars I will be running at just under 11 volts.

IMO prologues don't tell us too much but I will be running the slowest (best lap) car first then moving towards the quickest car. Certainly easier and more rewarding driving that way.

The times below were the best lap over three laps. Some cars had to be run more than three laps so as to get a full lap without a delot.

I drove the cars with out a marshal and as it is a long way around my track to pick the cars up I drove at around 8/10ths of the cars potential. Anyhow for what its worth here are the times.

Prologue_A.jpg

Prologue_B.jpg

Conditions were cold (14 deg) but on race day the temperature will be 30 deg+ and the cars will naturally get a lot quicker after a few laps. An excellent lap will be around 29.5 seconds.

Edited by Ontheflipside

Apologies in advance Mel. Perhaps you should hand my sad little effort on to Mr Bean. :)

• Upvote 1

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I know you can't read much in to it but espix car looks smoking hot

I was surprised at the time as it wasn't that smooth. There was one deslot <_<

Apologies in advance Mel. Perhaps you should hand my sad little effort on to Mr Bean. :)

The screws had come loose Embs and the chassis fell off (Mr bean must have been driving it :lol: :lol:) but your car goes OK but IMO the two lumps of lead on the side are lifting the COG two high so thinner longer ones would help heaps. It was in the to 15 at 10 volts. Keep you fingers crossed.
  • Upvote 1

IMO the two lumps of lead on the side are lifting the COG two high so thinner longer ones would help heaps.

Thanks for that. Noted for future reference, if I'm game (stupid?) enough to do this again.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

We are all fired up today to run Round 5. Maybe some comments and results during the day but more likely later this evening.

Track info and pics

Edited by kalbfellp

What no results? Are you guys still in that shed :D Was nice to meet you all and put some faces to names. Thanks Mel for letting me hang out in your shed for the day. Im glad I had the opportunity to come and watch, it was great to finally see what a good car looks like on a track ;).

While we are waiting for the results here are a few pics that I took. All of the other photos I took are here, I did miss the first few cars so sorry to those entrants.

Lenny you really should have put a big sticker on the side that read "THIS IS NOT A DATSUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

5305825759_c9cbd6f35e_z.jpg

This is a Datsun :D

5306409570_3f27979d65_z.jpg

A comment during this run was "it feels like its trying to cock its leg and have a piss on every corner"

5305818925_f6040503b1_z.jpg

QUACK!

5305811177_5d68272f16_z.jpg

Who invited those Porches again!

5306420206_3a4feaa335_z.jpg

5305814703_427948fe03_z.jpg

5306399966_71f4f4ae70_z.jpg

The windy roads of Mt Salt Pan Orama

5305820589_7deb2a1e56_z.jpg

5305823135_5affe794e8_z.jpg

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

Well what a big day - and it's still going on.

While we were waiting for all the marshals to be briefed an old WRC car was giving the spectators some thrills

_BB20159.jpg

Then while the drivers were doing a final run through their pace notes

navigator.jpg

. . . some lucky winners of a local competition had some hot laps

logo185.jpg

International drivers had to be briefed on our local "Bush" road signs

road-signs-road-signs-women-demotivational-poster-1232434122.jpg

OK the short "Very Special" stage 1 has been run (with high octane fuel)

Stage12010_11.jpg

Stage12010_11b.jpg

Stage two results being checked right now - stay tuned

Edited by Ontheflipside

What no results? Are you guys still in that shed :D Was nice to meet you all and put some faces to names. Thanks Mel for letting me hang out in your shed for the day. Im glad I had the opportunity to come and watch, it was great to finally see what a good car looks like on a track ;).

Hey Ben some great action shots. Glad you enjoyed the long day - hope you are not now divorced :P We have not long finished. Had trouble with timing (like we did after lunch) during stage three - finally got it working (blaming those crystals in Triggy's car). Thanks for dropping in and helping Gazza. :rolleyes:

Finished stage three but need to check the three sets of records.

Between stages the girls were giving the boys some entertainment

c1_17.jpg

c9_4.jpg

Results of Stage 2

Stage2.jpg

Stage2b.jpg

The final - stage 3 (5 - 6 min enduro) results will be posted tomorrow (Friday)

Edited by Ontheflipside

from 6th to 3rd last WTF! happened ?

Sh=t happens..............., just like a real race sometimes stuff happens in a race that is unexplicable. Sometimes some cars attract bad luck more than others. Also, Your car was probably easy to belt out a few quick laps on but harder on the driver to maintain the rage over a few minutes.

After a doing proxies for a few years now its a whole lot easier for me now to just let the race play out and not get wound up by a bad heat.

Damn..........does that mean i am growing up?...MUST RESIST.....MUST RESIST!!!!!!!

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif