OzRally Proxy Series 2010/11- Progressive Points Scores

32 replies to this topic

#21 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

I'm glad someone else asked first. I didn't want to be the one jumping up and down pestering about next season's weapon of choice. I'm going to need as much extra time as I can get to try to build a car that actually works.
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#22 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Congratulations to Tore on the series victory well done mate.

Also well done to Phil in getting the L34 to go so well, I considered one of them as well but I thought it would have been a bit of a handful. It was good to see BRK get up for a round win. That Alpine was a good car indeed, I wonder how it would have gone with a few less revs in the motor. Also I'd like to mention Phil for taking on the series directorship from me back in August when I realised I wouldn't be able to do it properly due to other commitments during the build up. Thanks for that mate.
I know when we put the width limit on cars this year it wasn't very popular with some guys, but there was a real fear that we would have ended up with a field of 911 Porsches of varying manufacturer. I had one ready if required. I think the fact that 9 out of the top ten were different models and the variety right through the field vindicated that decision.
On the whole I thought the series ran exceptionally well especially early on wher we had races being run almost weekly. It just a shame we had that "hiatus" towards the 2/3rds mark.
As for next year we could look at continuing the classic theme but moving onto the group A/B eras or go back to the more recent WRC type cars. But lets have a bit of a spell and get over this years series first.
Cheers
Alan

Edited by lenny broke, 19 April 2011 - 11:32 AM.

#23 Ben_M

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

Another rally proxy over, 4 spots better than last year. Congrats to the guys at the pointy end.

Thanks to Phil for his work and to all of the hosts. Being part of Mels round this year was the best thing I could have done. It gave me a real appreciation of the effort that the hosts go to and I also got a taste of what a good car looks like on track ;).

Next time lets just run something that a Porsche can't enter!!
Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

#24 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for directing the gig Phil and to all who hosted ! And congrates to 356Speedster, Lenny Broke and Phil on the top 3 !
I enjoyed being a part of it and thanks for letting me have a crack !
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#25 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

'Onya Phil, I wondered if we were ever going to get there. Pleasing to see the final results.

Fancy letting that bloke from Norway win. He is currently on holidays celebrating with a beer at present up in the mountains some where. :P Well done Tore

Also to Lenny and Phil for getting your (those) cars into rally shape.

I must say some of the cars at the bottom of the list had heaps of potential. They just needed some minor adjustment. Next series we should have a post on setting up a rally car.

To everyone who entered and hosted - without you there would be no event - thanks heaps. Shane, thank you for your generosity, unexpected but the winners will be delighted.

No prizes for me, can't say bad luck as my entry was a last second entry due to my time constraints being on the road and not being able to prepare any of my 5 potential cars within the regs. (Not even a Porsche). Had a lot of fun watching and running a round.

View Postcharlesx, on 18 April 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Look forward to next year. Even tempted to have a go myself when rules are announced.
YES, have a go. I would like to see a NZ rally track in the series. Be good to have the cars appear in every state in Australia :P

View PostDevious Dave, on 18 April 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Thanks and well done to all who took part. Sixth is better than I could have hoped for. Dave
I had to let you finish in front of me Dave, as you are my Works Team Engineer/manager. Well done matey.

View Postlenny broke, on 19 April 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Congratulations to Tore on the series victory well done mate.
Also well done to Phil in getting the L34 to go so well, I considered one of them as well but I thought it would have been a bit of a handful.Me too! Also I'd like to mention Phil for taking on the series directorship from me back in August when I realised I wouldn't be able to do it properly due to other commitments during the build up. Thanks for that mate.
I know when we put the width limit on cars this year it wasn't very popular with some guys, but there was a real fear that we would have ended up with a field of 911 Porsches of varying manufacturer. I think the fact that 9 out of the top ten were different models and the variety right through the field vindicated that decision. IMO it wasn't the Porsches it was the fact that so many worthy cars were gradually (over weeks) eliminated due to the width and clearance restrictions. Only after cars were purchased did we know the widths etc. In hindsight we should have just eliminated the Porsche's yet one still won it! I don't think anyone realised the impact on other cars at the time
On the whole I thought the series ran exceptionally well especially early on where we had races being run almost weekly. It just a shame we had that "hiatus" towards the 2/3rds mark.
As for next year we could look at continuing the classic theme but moving onto the group A/B eras or go back to the more recent WRC type cars. But lets have a bit of a spell and get over this years series first. IMO we have had a couple of years of "Classics" so back to WRC's. There could be two classes. 1. Classics especially for those who want to improve there car from this event and 2. There are some great WRC cars about at present. We had track records broken on three tracks here last Saturday. A month or so to think eh?
Well put Alan - my comments in red

View Postslo1quick, on 19 April 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

I enjoyed being a part of it and thanks for letting me have a crack !
How about building a track as well - we need a goer in Vic :P

Edited by Ontheflipside, 20 April 2011 - 07:55 AM.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

#26 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

IMO it wasn't the Porsches it was the fact that so many worthy cars were gradually (over weeks) eliminated due to the width and clearance restrictions. Only after cars were purchased did we know the widths etc. In hindsight we should have just eliminated the Porsche's yet one still won it! I don't think anyone realised the impact on other cars at the time
Hi Mel
Admittedly we were a bit late getting things underway this year and me handing over to Phil didn't help things either but I think buying a car before the final rules were released wouldn't have been the wisest move. (i've just re-read this sentence and it doesn't read well, I meant to say the added delay in handing over to Phil) :unsure:
The width restriction wasn't designed to stop a Porsche from winning but to give a greater variety of narrower cars a chance in this series. I think we successfully achieved that, with a number of cars entered that otherwise would not have got a run, Phil's Torana as an example. If we hadn't done so we would have finished up with, I believe a field totally dominated by Ninco and Fly racing 911sc models. That would have been a bit boring.It also made a challenge to come up with something different instead of the easy and obvious way about it. As it turned out we had 5 different winning models and no two the same in the top ten. As to your choice I reckon the Healey has some potential there with some attention to the COG and weight distribution.If we were to repeat this years rules I would consider one.
Regards
Alan

Edited by lenny broke, 20 April 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#27 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

From a new chum bottom dweller (:)) I would certainly appreciate a chance to attempt to fix my mistakes from this year. But I know you've run the Classics for 2 years now. I'm 99% sure it was my fear of the minimum height ruling, and the wish to make sure there was no question about meeting it, that did me in.

One of the advantages that this series has, from a new chum perspective, is the easy access. Easy access to a entry level car. Easy access to upgrades within rules. Easily understandable rules. And the fact that you can compete with only a little outlay (for me of necessity) or you can go the whole hog and throw as much money as you want at your entry.

Change the era/class or not as you wish. Just keep things simple and you're on a winner. And make sure there's plenty of pre-warning on class to allow car purchase, tune up, etc. for those of us on a budget.

Oh and congratulations. I rhink you've created a proxy monster! Right Miveson??? :P

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#28 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Proxy monster +1

Looking forward to the next one - did someone say WRC :)

I'd personally like to hear from anyone who drove my car as to how I could make it better. Anything constructive.

Better yet, if I could look/drive a top 10 car, that would be invaluable...... I have enough space in my pm box for 1 message.......

I miss waking up and looking for the round results, I was hoping to be a hero with the kids with some podiums, I've been relegated to the 'whatever' camp.....

Now, where is the next proxy event.....

#29 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Actually, I was thinking of you as the proxy monster Miveson. :P

Posted Image

#30 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

I intend to try and drive all the cars again and make some notes and recommendations especially for all the "newbies" to proxy rallies. Not that I know that much being fairly new to rally tracks myself.
But it seems that you don' t need to know much as Stig has entered 3 and had all top 5 finishes!

#31 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

A pic of the three series winners - the same as they finished Round 5 at Mount Salt Panorama
Posted Image

Edited by Ontheflipside, 27 April 2011 - 12:12 PM.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

#32 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Mel, one less job to try and get done, before returning the cars to everyone.

#33 phoeno29

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

Congrats to the winners and organisers of this event and too all who entered, it is you people and your cars that make these events what they are.
Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users