Ozrally Proxy Series 2010/11 - Round Two

88 replies to this topic

#41 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

Thanks Triggy. Seems to be a lot of variation in results as to the first round..? The little spyder seems to have some legs tho... :) Just waiting for the achilles heel thing to appear, was not entirely happy with the plafit pinion, maybe will mesh better as time goes on.. :dog:

Embs, your fastest lap time was pretty good. I was going to run the same car as yours. It was quicker than the spyder straight out of the box. One of the main reasons I chose not to was, is, that it was more difficult to modify the guide mount to accept the ninco sprung guide. I think the guide may be a big issue on the scx cars . If you didnt have the motor issues it would be more consistent Im sure. Did you add weight? where?

I put lead weight under the chassis on mine, So far,things to do next time: try for some more weight, nail polish the front wheels, and maybe look to running in the motor (the under distilled water and ??? alcohol thing) It seems the ingredient is a closely guarded secret...?? Will beer do.? Maybe 4XXXX.....? :D
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#42 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Nah. Not convinced that the guide is at issue. I had to narrow the rear wheel base to allow for slightly larger diam wheels and taller tyres. A few mm off an already narrow base makes quite the difference. Plus, Triggy's right, it doesn't have exactly what I'd call body float no matter how much I tried to make it so. Possibly due to the sprung rail setup on the SCX interior which I didn't want to rewire. It seems to be that which causes the car to not quite fit together until its clamped shut. I had the screws loosened a little, but probably not enough, or whatever.

Looking at photos of Limestone Pass I can identify easily enough the 2 or 3 corners that's giving the little bluebuzzer serious grief. If not 4 or 5. Simply way tighter than anything I had to try it out on. But, I've done my best with what I had. That's what its about.

And it ain't over yet.
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#43 triggy

Triggy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

View PostObsidith, on Nov 27 2010, 11:38 AM, said:

wow what happened to my car to fall 16seconds off the pace ?

Nothing wrong with your car. There are other cars that are a bit better handling etc that suit this particular track.

Normal people worry me

#44 triggy

Triggy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

View Postslo1quick, on Nov 27 2010, 03:47 PM, said:

...... Seems to be a lot of variation in results as to the first round..?

IMO, one shouldn't compare results from one round to the other and expect that to be the norm throughout the series. Slotcar rally tracks have a lot of different characteristics and drivers and controllers. All variables that affect results from one round to the other. Those that are up there at the start of the series expect that to be the norm: for some that is the case: for others the results vary. Some have poor results in some rallies and get their 15 minutes of fame when a certain track suits their car and they get a good results. This all part of proxy rallying. Ride the highs and lows and enjoy the outcome for what it is: it is out of your control. You have a 1 in 31 chance of winning a stage.

Keep your expectations low and you won't be dissappointed!

(This is a general comment meant for all and not directed specifically at slo1quick just because he was the poster)

Normal people worry me

#45 Mohawkk

prettiest rally car 2011-12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for all the feed back Triggy
Woohoo just into the top 10
Love,
Kai Posted Image

#46 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

[quote name='Ember' date='Nov 27 2010, 05:45 PM' post='142954']
Nah. Not convinced that the guide is at issue. I had to narrow the rear wheel base to allow for slightly larger diam wheels and taller tyres. A few mm off an already narrow base makes quite the difference. Plus, Triggy's right, it doesn't have exactly what I'd call body float no matter how much I tried to make it so. Possibly due to the sprung rail setup on the SCX interior which I didn't want to rewire. It seems to be that which causes the car to not quite fit together until its clamped shut. I had the screws loosened a little, but probably not enough, or whatever.

How can you have body float on a scx , rails n all ? Need to hard wire the guide !

Edited by slo1quick, 27 November 2010 - 06:32 PM.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#47 triggy

Triggy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

View PostEmber, on Nov 27 2010, 04:45 PM, said:

Nah. Not convinced that the guide is at issue.

Ember I still think it is front end related. There are several SCX cars and guide systems in this rally and some that perform really well as far as staying in the slot. Your car just rides out of the slot gently, which is frustrating as the driver because its not as if it was driven too hard into the corner. Haystack and I have the same car as you . I changed my guide to sprung Ninco ( a lot of work). Haystack has the SCX guide set upand his car handles well.

And it ain't over yet.

Great attitude to have

Reason for edit: facts wrong. there is travel in guide

Edited by triggy, 27 November 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Normal people worry me

#48 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Slo1quick: Anything it achievable. It's just a matter of working out how to do it.

If I'd cut the sprung strips for the lights from the body and replaced with wire it would probably have had the desired effect. But I didn't. Such is life. It's a learning experience. That's the point. Was trying to keep the changes I made as small and unobtrusive as I could.

Long way to go yet. It's only round 2. Anything is possible.

Triggy: I think I see where you're coming from. Sitting on the plate the guide didn't seem to be extended. But that could just be not looking at it right. Like I said. In it to learn what I can. Figure it's the point. Not much you learn from running the same cars on the same track against the same person, right? :)

Edited by Ember, 27 November 2010 - 06:51 PM.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#49 Obsidith

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

View Posttriggy, on Nov 27 2010, 07:06 PM, said:

View PostObsidith, on Nov 27 2010, 11:38 AM, said:

wow what happened to my car to fall 16seconds off the pace ?

Nothing wrong with your car. There are other cars that are a bit better handling etc that suit this particular track.

what is it thats letting the car down as lap times its one of the fastest cars ?

is it tippy?, lacks grip?, over powered or is it just from pushing the car to hard?

Just trying to find all areas where the car needs improving as it gets raced outside of this rally proxy
Posted Image

#50 slo1quick

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

So far,things to do next time: try for some more weight, nail polish the front wheels, and maybe look to running in the motor (the under distilled water and ??? alcohol thing) It seems the ingredient is a closely guarded secret...??

And vac formed interior. But a fare bit of improvisation needed for the scx as the chassis is mounted to the interior.
Still learning.
"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

#51 wizardgm

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

View Postfirst corner crash, on Nov 26 2010, 01:11 AM, said:

Hey guys. you know i don't mind getting slated i am all in for fun but i am not even in the event.
I will let you both ponder the noisy geared Ninco porsche though..............................................

It finished first.
Triggy was second and i would have to check where Ricks quiet car finished..
it looks like Rick has been made quiet by your car :)

How does it go......

Hat, Coat .......................................................

#52 rick1776

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

I have learnt my lesson obi one kenobi. I shall not question the master. I have searched high and low for the noisey 13T pinion which will transcend all known engineering principles. Next time we race the Ninco's you shall hear where I have been but you shall not see where I have been as it will be long gone. :)
cheers
rick1776

#53 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:29 AM

IMO, one shouldn't compare results from one round to the other and expect that to be the norm throughout the series. Slotcar rally tracks have a lot of different characteristics and drivers and controllers. All variables that affect results from one round to the other. Those that are up there at the start of the series expect that to be the norm: for some that is the case: for others the results vary. Some have poor results in some rallies and get their 15 minutes of fame when a certain track suits their car and they get a good results. This all part of proxy rallying. Ride the highs and lows and enjoy the outcome for what it is: it is out of your control. You have a 1 in 31 chance of winning a stage.

Keep your expectations low and you won't be dissappointed!

Well said Mr Trig...in fact that can apply to any proxy slotcar event.

My proxy race mantra is from my mother "Prepare for the worst,hope for the best and take what comes"

Remaining your humble servant retaining his low expectations but still hoping for glory.

munter
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#54 Eno the Wonderdog

Woof Woof and erm.. Bark

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Suprised to find the car was too wide given I found it on a list of eligible cars & didn't modify the track. :rolleyes: Ah well - at least it runs allright. <_< Just send it back.
Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

#55 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

Hi Munter.

Congratulations on such a good start to event.

Reading comments and results with interest although not a type of racing I am familiar with.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#56 rick1776

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Well just got back from helping Triggy out. The rally has been run and won. Wont steal Triggy's thunder but it has been won by someone who is universally liked by all. <_<

Thank god I didnt enter as it has confimed that I havent got the foggiest about rally cars. Embs your car was massively quicker than my Fiat 131. In fact I think everyone was quicker than me. :rolleyes:
cheers
rick1776

#57 smallnails

Shake and Bake Bayyyybeeeee!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

There were a heap of cars that made the list that MIGHT have qualified, the trick was to make sure that it did before you bought it!!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#58 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

View Postrick1776, on Nov 28 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

Well just got back from helping Triggy out. The rally has been run and won. Wont steal Triggy's thunder but it has been won by someone who is universally liked by all. <_<
Didn't think you had a car running, Rick. :rolleyes:

View Postrick1776, on Nov 28 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

Thank god I didnt enter as it has confimed that I havent got the foggiest about rally cars.
Some of us have no idea but entered anyway.

Posted Image

#59 Eno the Wonderdog

Woof Woof and erm.. Bark

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

View Postsmallnails, on Nov 28 2010, 07:31 PM, said:

There were a heap of cars that made the list that MIGHT have qualified, the trick was to make sure that it did before you bought it!!

Very nice to get the advice after the fact smallnails.. thanks :rolleyes:
Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

#60 smallnails

Shake and Bake Bayyyybeeeee!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Not goingto get into an argument on here with you Eno, I even put up some measurements to help guide people in their decisions WAAY back in the original thread To help and to give advice back then!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users