Somewhere To Experiment

Ember

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! No way I'd put any paint on that. It is perfect just how it is.

Inspirational work Ember.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken some fiddling and trial and error, but I've got one door hung.

34_door.jpg

Hinges are cut from brass shim and soldered onto fine brass tube. Can't remember sizes, can post them if required. The interior diameter of the tube is perfect to slip over a staple made from the shaft of a brass 'lace pin'. I had difficulties in getting the brass hinge to stick to the door. Tried many types of glue; C23, PVA, Zap-a-gap, and Canopy Glue. All seemed firmly attached, but the slightest knock would set things adrift. I eventually used PVA and 'bolts' to hold them in place. The 'bolts' are the heads of the aforementioned lace pins.

04_door.jpg

Door handle is also a combination of brass shim and lace pins. The bright brass has been 'aged' slightly with essentially the same stain as I used on the balsa.

05_door_detail.jpg

Door detail.

I've still got to hang the front doors. But to do that I have to make a bunch more hinges. I thought I'd made spares, but had a few issues drilling holes for the 'bolts'.

Also on the still to do list is the guttering.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

It just keeps getting better.

Have you done anymore to the colouring of the roof? It looks even better. It could just be that it is photographed from a different angle &/or the light is different. For whatever reason its great. Shame you can't build these sheds & shacks & rent them out.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

The difference in roof colouring is just a matter of different light on a different day, IR. Nothing extra done on it, other than gluing the roof ridge down again.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Brilliant job with the door Embs.

Make another and put on a dunny next to the shed but must have a choko vine over it.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

:lol: I haven't seen a choko vine in I don't know how long. Had one growing over my cubby house (converted car crate) when I was growing up in Noble Park. Do they even exist in other countries or are they a uniquely Aussie fruit? Horrid slimey tasting thing as I recall. I had been contemplating attempting a passionfruit vine somewhere.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

The chayote (Sechium edule), also known as christophene, vegetable pear, mirliton, alligator pear (South Louisiana), choko, starprecianté, citrayota, citrayote (Ecuador and Colombia), chuchu (Brazil), chow chow (India) güisquil (Guatemala, El Salvador) ,or pear squash

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

Wiki strikes again. Thanks Mohawkk. Now I always thought alligator pear was avacado. Nice to know other kids in the world get forced to eat that horrid thing.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Nice to know other kids in the world get forced to eat that horrid thing.

When I was growing up (just a few years ago) we had, and I can remember others had them on the out door dunny. Maybe it was used to hide them. Wonder if the night cart man made heaps of "apple" pies and sold them.

Don't know how true this is but was told to me by a guy who managed an Irish Restaurant (Mickey Donald's) that Chokos were used in their apple pies. I believe that has now changed.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

I've heard that rumour too, but it's most likely an urban myth.

I think one reason why the choko vine on the dunny was so popular is that choko is pretty well bomb proof. I doubt even I could kill one, and I'm notoriously good at killing green growing things.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Most definitely the gardening skills. I have none. I walk past agapanthus and they look scared. The grow like weeds for other people.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ember,

You're a freak.  What happened to the garage?

Most definitely the gardening skills. I have none. I walk past agapanthus and they look scared. The grow like weeds for other people.

can you please come and look at mine?

The shed itself is pretty much complete. It's now nestled in it's backyard awaiting some enthusiastic individual to do some more gardening around it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Showed the pictures of the model to the good lady wife (who encourages me to build the Grand Prix circuits on the lounge room floor) and her first reponse was "has she left home...?" - I think she was impressed

I think she forgets how much time we had before we turned to expanding the human race. You sure do have a talent.

By the way when are you gonna include a tribute to the parachuting banksy rat on your dioramas?

Edited by Tormentor

:lol: Happy to say I left home 20 odd years ago (That's got 'em counting. :)) Admittedly there's not a lot of entertainment options in the thriving metropolis of Hamilton.

You're right, I need to find a place for another Banksy rat in memory of the most recent demise. I had not visited it. The previous one, off the side of Centre Place in Melbourne CBD, I used to see on a daily basis.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 1 year later...