Sign in to follow this  
Yngwie

First Nsw Slot Car Challenge

Hi there. I am embarassed to ask yet another tech question, but do we have to have the "filler bits" fitted on the chassis that fill in around the pod when not using the anglewinder configuration?

Thanks for answering and as we get closer we feel less and less prepared! Still have to make controller adaptors etc. Alan has done us an awesome paint job though!!

Hi there. I am embarassed to ask yet another tech question, but do we have to have the "filler bits" fitted on the chassis that fill in around the pod when not using the anglewinder configuration?

Thanks for answering and as we get closer we feel less and less prepared! Still have to make controller adaptors etc. Alan has done us an awesome paint job though!!

No this isnt necessary!

Happy Christmas to all you fellow racers

I would like some assistance to prepare a car to run the enduro.

Our team has not run or raced on the tracks at Jim's.

Would any of the regular racers (as they race this class regularly) please advise us a ballpark idea on what gear ratios,tyer compound and motor configeration we may use with our Slot It Group C cars at this meet.

This may also help other outsider teams narrow down a setup(As there will only be a short and I guess congested practice session before the race)

Again a Happy Christmas and a winning New Year

See you all next year at this Great Event

Cheers

Chesterdred

Thats a fine and reasonable modification Kennedy.

I need to make a clarification which hopefully does not affect anyone at this stage. The issue of motor shaft trimming has been brought up and it has been deemed an illegal modification. Sorry for the timing of this but I have been asked to clarify this now rather than have disappointed racers turn up with an ineligible car.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Would any of the regular racers (as they race this class regularly) please advise us a ballpark idea on what gear ratios,tyer compound and motor configeration we may use with our Slot It Group C cars at this meet.

This may also help other outsider teams narrow down a setup(As there will only be a short and I guess congested practice session before the race)

Cheers

Chesterdred

Hello Chesterdred,

we'd been meaning to do this for a while but haven't yet decided what we are going to run ourselves.

Two things first, one is we probably won't be the fastest of the "home track" teams, two is that we haven't tested our setup for four hours and we're not really sure whether it will go the distance. Please do your own testing for durability.

We're looking at a 29k, red, motor with a gear ratio around 3:1. It gets a little warm but we think it might be okay for four hours. Works best on the big track but is tricky on the smaller track, ideally an electronic controller will be used to help make it more drivable.

We think we'll use F22 tyres and that they'll probably be okay for the full distance but we will have a set of identical wheels and tyres trued and ready to swap if we're proved wrong. Some members of the team swear that a set of F15s will go all the way but it looks like F22s are almost as fast anyway.

If we change anything or find a big problem with our setup I'll post it here.

We now have 11 teams willing to undertake this Enduro, but as we will be using two tracks we need to have even number of teams to make the change of track half way fair (ie the same lanes are run on both tracks). If anyone else would like to take part, even if if you cannot get your own team together please let us know and maybe we can make a team of individuals not already placed!

Regards

John

Cheers

Chesterdred

Hello Chesterdred,

we'd been meaning to do this for a while but haven't yet decided what we are going to run ourselves.

Two things first, one is we probably won't be the fastest of the "home track" teams, two is that we haven't tested our setup for four hours and we're not really sure whether it will go the distance. Please do your own testing for durability.

We're looking at a 29k, red, motor with a gear ratio around 3:1. It gets a little warm but we think it might be okay for four hours. Works best on the big track but is tricky on the smaller track, ideally an electronic controller will be used to help make it more drivable.

We think we'll use F22 tyres and that they'll probably be okay for the full distance but we will have a set of identical wheels and tyres trued and ready to swap if we're proved wrong. Some members of the team swear that a set of F15s will go all the way but it looks like F22s are almost as fast anyway.

If we change anything or find a big problem with our setup I'll post it here.

All of the FC-130 size motors will be legal with an out of the box Group C car and either standard or offset mounts.

The closed-can boxer should be legal with an out of the box car and either standard or offset mounts (but you should check and allow for tire wear).

Including magnet downforce, a closed can boxer with 20x11 tires on 15.8mm rims in an offset mount should put you at around 90g. The closed can Flat-6 would be similarly just legal.

The open can FK-180 motors can be made legal by using lightened axles, lightened wheels, removing inserts and that sort of thing. It would be hard to do this in a way that would gaurantee being under 100g after the race. I've seen it done but we won't be tempting fate as any version of this with a flat6-R or open can boxer will end up between 95-99g. A little bit of tire wear could see the car go 105g after the race.

We're now pretty happy with the V12/3 29.000 rpm motor and think it will last 4 hours easily, even though it will be pretty warm.

Hope this helps a bit more for people not used to racing with rules that measure magnetic attraction.

We now have 11 teams willing to undertake this Enduro, but as we will be using two tracks we need to have even number of teams to make the change of track half way fair (ie the same lanes are run on both tracks). If anyone else would like to take part, even if if you cannot get your own team together please let us know and maybe we can make a team of individuals not already placed!

Regards

John

Hi John

I do not understand this.

I would have thought that all cars will run on all lanes on both tracks and that the half way change would be after 2 hours of racing eg 15 min's on each lane and that a different number of cars on each track would not make any differance to the racing.

If this is not the way the race is going to run could please expain.

Thanks

Rodney

there are 2, 8 lane tracks 16 lanes total. 12 teams means 4 lanes will not be used at all

need to have even number so everyone runs on the same lanes.

i think

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

Hey sticks. Mohawk is correct. Need even numbers to ensure the same lanes are driven on by every team!

Cheers

JOhn

Hey sticks. Mohawk is correct. Need even numbers to ensure the same lanes are driven on by every team!

Cheers

JOhn

so dose that mean that the track management system (race system) can be set up to run 5 or 6 lanes only. so that the cars only swap between the same 5 or 6 lanes?

thanks

Cheers

JOhn

so dose that mean that the track management system (race system) can be set up to run 5 or 6 lanes only. so that the cars only swap between the same 5 or 6 lanes?

thanks

There will be 2 tracks with 2 different timing systems. The totals for each will be accumulated. This is my belief although Jim at Armchair will know much better or even Repete here on the forum!

Cheers

John

talk about last minute decisions!

a couple of us went down to armchair yesterday(what else do you do on nye?)and after a little while in walks vinno,finally got a opportunity to talk face to face and eventually he says "why aren't you lot doing the enduro?"err...mumble,mumble,don't know,you know,sort of,err mumble mumble....so it comes down to the situation that we 3 have put our hands up to fill the grid.

now the panic is on to put a car together,although I think we have the basic ingredients already,so thats a good thing,plans are already in place to get back down to armchair for a test run mid month,just to see how far back we will be in the pack,

thanks for the kick along vinno,one of our boys just needed that to be convinced that its not a bad thing after all!

terry

talk about last minute decisions!

a couple of us went down to armchair yesterday(what else do you do on nye?)and after a little while in walks vinno,finally got a opportunity to talk face to face and eventually he says "why aren't you lot doing the enduro?"err...mumble,mumble,don't know,you know,sort of,err mumble mumble....so it comes down to the situation that we 3 have put our hands up to fill the grid.

now the panic is on to put a car together,although I think we have the basic ingredients already,so thats a good thing,plans are already in place to get back down to armchair for a test run mid month,just to see how far back we will be in the pack,

thanks for the kick along vinno,one of our boys just needed that to be convinced that its not a bad thing after all!

terry

Hi Terry

Yes Jim asked me to get our group to take the final team and just find a couple of extras to fill the empty positions. It looks as though it will be a 5 man team so I need to discuss with Yngwie who organised our teamsa nd work out who will race with you three. If you are happy to build the car then it takes the pressure off the others who join you. Knowing yours and Steve's car building skills and the information you gained I think you will be a competitive team.

Happy new year by the way.

Hey Guys,

Just a bit over 2 Weeks til the 4 Hr Endurance Race at Armchair.

I'm glad to see so many racers coming in and practicing on both tracks.

Can't wait to get back to racing!

Jason

Brooksy

I wish to find out some finer points of rules for this event.

1) Do the Jaguar XJR9 and the XJR12 require wheel spats to be fitted?

These cars did race with and without spats.

2) I understand that the ONLY non Slot It items that can be used on these cars are ;

a)Washers

b)Spacers

c)Lead balast

d)Braids

Therefore ALL other parts MUST be Slot It.

And will at least the first six places be impouned and measured to checked for complianceof these rules.

Looking forward to this GREAT event.

See you all on the 29th

I wish to find out some finer points of rules for this event.

1) Do the Jaguar XJR9 and the XJR12 require wheel spats to be fitted?

These cars did race with and without spats.

2) I understand that the ONLY non Slot It items that can be used on these cars are ;

a)Washers

b)Spacers

c)Lead balast

d)Braids

Therefore ALL other parts MUST be Slot It.

And will at least the first six places be impouned and measured to checked for complianceof these rules.

Looking forward to this GREAT event.

See you all on the 29th

Hello Chesterdred,

I don't think braids are exempt so it might be worth checking. I don't really care what braid you race but it's probably wise to make sure you're within the rules.

Regards, Matt.

In a previous post I said we would be running F22s without too much trouble on the Armchair tracks. Just a warning that the wear might be worse than we anticipated. We plan to have 3 sets of tyres glued and trued just in case.

The reason for this is we ran one set of tyres right down the other day and found our porsche was 104g on the magnet marshall with a 29K red motor. The tyres were worn down so much that the chassis had started to rub so it was an extreme situation that won't be repeated in the race because we'll change tyres around half distance. I just wanted to warn others that they may want to have spare wheels and tyres at the ready if they're thinking of using F22s.

Matt.

Guest jazzbell

We plan to have 3 sets of tyres glued and trued just in case.

Matt.

Matt dont take this the wrong way,but if you have to go to the extreme of changing 3 sets of wheels that could mean the differance between winning and loosing? We do plenty of 6 hour enduro's here in Adelaide on 1 set of tyres,i know not the F series but we get through on the one set of tyres. I know that just 1 change can mean the differance between a win and a lose.

I've been following this up coming event and know what the fast times are but i guess race pace for teams will be on average 7 plus seconds for most teams.Locals should be the fastest.

Remember cars will be measured for down force weight at the start of the race and at the end. It could be worth doing some sums to see how much slower the P series are but could go the distance without a change,or do you go with the quicker f series with changes.???

Just some thoughts.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Hi Shane,

yes that's the fun of these events, it's not simple to determine the fastest setup over 4 hours.

We are hopeful we will do one change at half distance and that we can do it between heats, my reading of the rules is that this is allowed in the 1 minute between lanes.

The P6s are an option and some teams will run them well so the final test will be on the night.

Looking forward to seeing your Mazda, it will be a tight race I'm sure.

Guest jazzbell

Hi Shane,

yes that's the fun of these events, it's not simple to determine the fastest setup over 4 hours.

We are hopeful we will do one change at half distance and that we can do it between heats, my reading of the rules is that this is allowed in the 1 minute between lanes.

The P6s are an option and some teams will run them well so the final test will be on the night.

Looking forward to seeing your Mazda, it will be a tight race I'm sure.

Matt just having some fun,it's called mind games.

Have not read how the event will be run,but my opinion any changes should be done under green in race time not in lane changes. Just my opinion.

The Mazda i built is for a team of guy's i've never met just spoken to. I hope the car goes well for them but the Porsche i built will be the pick of the 2 cars i think.

All an all alot of you guy's a very lucky to be apart of an event that will be a great result for all in the end, know matter where each team finishes.

Good luck everyone :)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

It states in the rules that there is to be no servicing of cars during lane change time so surely this will be changing wheels/tires

We will be arriving Friday and will be the only team to have never seen the track in our lives so expect to be placed accordingly, but we get a chance to meet you all! One track or two, makes no difference as its all new anyway!

I am pleased to hear F22s are popular as I had stabbed that would be the tire of choice and set up accordingly. Will mount up spare sets in the motel!

The crap I have to travel over with, and some stuff we can't bring on the plane! Tire truers, power supplies, soldering iron. Gees!

I think you should all wear name stickers with your real names and forum names so we know who you are. Some of those cheesy "introducing".....ones!

We all look forward to meeting you and talking bullshit! Bit disappointed so many teams have Jazzbell building cars for you. Where's your DIY spirit! :D