First Nsw Slot Car Challenge

Yngwie

Some further stats for those interested

Overall......................................Total Laps...........Laps behind Leader........Laps behind position above

Armchair Matt G..............................2521

Armchair Geoff................................2452.................69...................................69

Syd Model Car................................2312................209.................................140

Team Kiwi......................................2296................225...................................16

SWSRG 1......................................2294................227.....................................2

Slot Factory...................................2286................235.....................................8

SWSRG 2.....................................2282.................239....................................4

Team Shire....................................2278.................243....................................4

Team Extreme................................2257................264...................................21

SWSRG 3......................................2209................312...................................48

Slot Shop.......................................2099................422..................................110

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big thankyou to Jim,Pete & all the staff at Armchair racer for a GREAT night's racing.

Just one question,when's the next enduro?Re tuned the car this morning & ready for the next big race.

Good one Patto,yeah,gotta say we had a greats nice racing,good to meet some of the auslot guys and put a (ugly) face to the names,really impressed with the whole deal,well run without any dramas,thanks to everyone involved.

Although I haven't looked at the car as yet I'm like you Jim,ready for the next one,this should be part of our yearly calendars racing.

By the way Patto,how did we let you get ahead of us last night?

Terry

In an effort to keep the car under 100gms we did another tyre change 2 brackets from the end,in the heat of the moment one of the old tyres went back on,so we were running a big stager(speedway style).

It's amazing how fast you can drive when trying to get away from the wooden spoon.The 8 tooth worked good on gutter lanes but had NO SPEED down the straights,put a 9 on this morning & picked up 6 tenths on my track,now it's got some NUTS.

By the way there was no need to change wheels to keep it legal, there was about 5 gms of car parts in the pit box.Gazza's action shot of the Marlboro Porsche up our butt

probably explains why they fell off,great photo gonna frame it.

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone can follow the spreadsheet well enough.

Thanks Mark for fixing up the spreadsheets and posting them on the forum.

The Blue/Red Worksheet is an overview of the positions and laps done on the small and large tracks.

With the Green Worksheet, it gives a more detailed overview of the heats comparing your team’s results to the rest of the field on each lane from the small track to large. It also shows an accumulative total of all the laps done throughout the night.

For example my team 'Armchair - Matt' completed 176 laps on Red lane whilst driving on the small track. Comparing to the rest of the field we got the 4th highest lap score on that lane to be beaten by our rivals 'Armchair - Geoff' who got 1st with 182 laps. The Overall position is where your team stands compared to the rest of the field after how many heats which have been completed. For example team 'Armchair - Matt' completed 181 laps on white lane on the small track. Overall adding the scores from the previous heat/s which in this case is just red, we have a total score of 357 laps and currently sit in 2nd place overall behind 'Armchair - Geoff' which have completed 371 laps.

I hope I haven't confused you all too much!

Any other results that you want shown that aren't all ready there just let me know and I'll see if a can fix something up for you. However i don't have fastest laps for any track. I know as a fact that the fastest time on the large track was around 6.1 seconds. I wonder who could have set a lap time that fast ;). It was the great setup of the car.

Anyway I'm starting to carry on a bit too much now.

So thanks again to everyone for making last night possible. It was a great night

Thanks,

Jason

Brooksy

For everyone else, are there any more photo's from last night?

It would be great to see them.

the one's all ready posted look great.

Thanks,

Jason

A few more

How did the three stooges get past security :unsure:

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair012-1.jpg

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair002-1.jpg

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair001-1.jpg

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair015.jpg

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair028.jpg

Chris who runs the "House of Horrors" (Dentist) in Napier NZ and his mate from Auckland looking in despair after some car troubles but bounced back during the night.

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair010-1.jpg

For some others the face says it all

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair042.jpg

003cut.jpg

Look Mum No wheel

1stNswSlotCarChallengeEnduroatArmchair040.jpg

Really just camera shy :blink:

Backwheel.jpg

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

The Kiwis had a bit of trouble early but in the end only missed out in 3rd by 16 laps which is only 1 lap per lane (we raced across 16 lanes)

Pete

From the Kiwi team, thanks so much for allowing us to compete and a huge congrats to the podium placers!!

We really enjoyed ourselves and there is already talk of returning if you have another event. I have to mention that the big problems actually occured in the last 2x15 min stints where our lack of experience with rubber tires and ferrodor haunted us (we use silicones and a gloss track).

We were still using the original set at the 3 hour mark, and were not aware of the way they ball up and go like chewing gum. The car ran like it had "square wheels" but until then it would go away after a few laps, but not this time! As a result for a whole 15 min the car was 0.5 to 1 sec a lap off the pace, (4.7's to 5.7's and 6.2's) which translates to about 20 to 30 laps. To make matters worse we still started the last 15 mins on the same tires and only changed them during the heat losing a further 10 laps. Once changed the car was back to its old speed and we managed to pull back four laps on the 5th place car to claim our 4th by the narrowest of margins!

The early problem you mention was a grub screw that kept loosening on the crown wheel, which we fixed after it kept happening with the trusty superglue! Though more obvious it probably only cost us about 20 laps all up. We have never used an alloy crown for an enduro before, so it was either that or the vibration from the ferrodor surface?

As team leader I have to bear the brunt of the bad decision and have been "sacked" as maintenance engineer and will be shooting myself later.

Thanks for all the hard work in organising it. I know how much work it involves. A great group of racers.

Lastly, we are now hoping some of you will take part in our 12 hour enduro or our RTR Nationals which will happen in October/November and April this year. If there are any of you interested please PM me, seriously. :rolleyes:

Edited by kennedyrd

Well done all, I know how it feels being part of these, as Chris and I have both run the hard body enduros here - chris more recently.

I just wish I got to see that look on his face here, because we're always running competing teams, and his cars NEVR break down here.... sigh.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

We were still using the original set at the 3 hour mark, and were not aware of the way they ball up and go like chewing gum.

Yeh some should have warned you about the f series tyres

Here is a couple of sets of 15's that i had on a SCX Corvette on my track last year, Ferrodor and a coat of clear

87fe46c8.jpg

f06fc0f5.jpg

So i was a bit sceptical about the 22's

But it was good racing and in the end only 55 laps separated from 3rd to 8th

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Guest jazzbell

Gazza can't say i've ever seen tyres like that before. The F series must be a sticky tyre because their a right bitch to true.

Congratulations to the winners of the event and Jason for setting the fastest lap on the night of a 6.1.

To all if this was your first major enduro i hope you enjoyed the night because no doubt you will get the chance to race in more events like this now.

I'd like to thank the effort the guy's put in from the Slot Car Factory driving one of my cars i built for them,better luck next time.

Jim i know you'll be reading this so make sure the tracks reserved for our team from Adelaide for your next event. :)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Straight from the post office wall ..... the group photos, in finishing order

Armchair Matt 2521 laps

75af5f67.jpg

Armchair Geoff 2452 laps

bf26dbab.jpg

Sydney Model Car 2312 laps

209eadc3.jpg

Team Kiwi 2296 laps

c3807e38.jpg

SWSRG 1 2294 laps

4bbcec2c.jpg

Slot Factory 2286 laps

b0d0e4ab.jpg

SWSRG 2 2282 laps

8449db5a.jpg

Team Shire 2278 laps

868b790e.jpg

Team Extreme 2257 laps

ba924b0d.jpg

SWSRG 3 2209 laps

ece4437f.jpg

Slot Shop 2099 laps

e558e1b5.jpg

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Looks like it was a huge success all round and well done to the Kiwi's. I cant wait for a Koala hugging team to come over to our side of the ditch.

That sounds like "fightn' talk" Mike . . . . . .

Hey, I doubt the "Koala huggers" would be game to enter our lair

[slotsnz, raising the bar of fightn' talk in two countries]

.......... this should stir the pot............

I can almost smell a Bulsara and a jazzbell packing their bags (and shotguns) as we read.................:lol: :lol: :lol:

If we get some o' those convicts over here to race, why I might even consider entering the nats myself.....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Fellow racers

Firstly HATS off to Jim ,John and all that organised this GREAT event.

The Sydney Model Car Group would like to thank all teams for a fantastic close and fair racing.

Our teams Lancia LC2 raced without any problems at all.I think we started with a slight disadvantage as we used an ORANGE endbell motor in a sidewinder format(the only car setup this way) other teams used Boxer or Red endbell motors.

Also we used F22 Tyres with NO TYRE CHANGE FOR THE WHOLE 4 HOURS

In our club racing we do not use electronic brakes(a whole new setup to learn)

and 2 of our drivers did not see the tracks or drive on them until practice Saturday night.

A great effort I may say .

Looking forward to the next event as all you are

Again thanks to all

Chesterdred (Sydney Model Car Group)

Our teams Lancia LC2 raced without any problems at all.I think we started with a slight disadvantage as we used an ORANGE endbell motor in a sidewinder format(the only car setup this way) other teams used Boxer or Red endbell motors.

Also we used F22 Tyres with NO TYRE CHANGE FOR THE WHOLE 4 HOURS

Chesterdred (Sydney Model Car Group)

Interesting. We had fully intended to use an orange motor but swapped to a red after a bit of a testing. As for tires, after 3 and a half hours we thought surely they would last 30 mins more! Well done. I assume the car itself had seen the track beforehand?

Thanks for a great race to watch everyone. Even though I was not racing myself it was very exicting just to be there and have a chat to so many people from the forum.

I only wish I could have been there for the first few heats and to see the look on everyones faces at the end of the first heat especially....lol :o . As we don't race slot.it's I would also like to give a special thanks to Jazzbell for the loan of the car which was super quick and was even able to equalled the winning team on 1 lane as well as getting a few 2nd's on different lanes too.

All I can say about the car is that he built it without seeing the track and we did not change anything other then tyres (that's another story). So I think everyone should watch out for the south oz boys if they get a team together for the next event and the same goes for the Kiwi's who should be much stronger next time.

Regards

Mat

Why race on any old figure 8 track when you could be racing on a track designed to replicate a piece of Australian motorsport history like Oran Park Raceway.

I only wish I could have been there for the first few heats and to see the look on everyones faces at the end of the first heat especially....lol :o . As we don't race slot.it's I would also like to give a special thanks to Jazzbell for the loan of the car which was super quick and was even able to equalled the winning team on 1 lane as well as getting a few 2nd's on different lanes too.

You didn't miss much Mat ;) I was surprised when Christian pulled away from me over the first 5 minutes of that first heat but I knew it was partly the car and partly exceptional driving. No wailing or moaning, no acrimony. BTW Christian won that heat by nearly a full lap but the power cut out just in time to make it look almost equal. Luckily for us our somewhat-unnexpected-trump-card, Jason, was up next and did 3 laps more than Christian or I did; getting into the 6.1s to boot.

The format worked well in that individual drivers got to race against each other 4 times over the night. Christian proved a gentleman as well as he let us past a few times the next time we met. Stark contrast to me repeatedly going into and over the top of Vinno under brakes later in the night.

Bring on another challenge on another track, fly up the boys from Parafield, we probably won't win again but we'll have just as much fun.

Is it too much to enquire about the various specs of the cars?

I believe the two front runners were running Red Endbell in-line about 2.8:1 on F22's without much pod movement (no suspension) and farly snug bodies...

But what other set-ups were successfull?

Or were utter failures in comparison.....

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I was given to me on the weekend some more photos that were taken during the evening.

Thanks to Johnny Lee for taking these photos.

Warning the following Post is a Bit Pic Heavy.

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_7325.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7332.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg