kalbfellp

OzRally Proxy Series 2010/11 - Round One

track3.jpg

You gotta love slot racing...

Spent yester arvo at Phil's punting this years field around Stig's rally track, and was impressed by the quality of the cars. A few things to consider in relation to this round..

Heat 1 was done on a mild DRY day, Heat 2 on a cool HUMID day(thunderstorm through late aftenoon) which made the track a little tacky.

Cars with nuetral fore/aft balance rewarded drivers by turning quicker on this twisty(22turns/lap)track.

Bigger motors required more judicious throttling to keep momentum. Some lower powered cars suffered from lack of momentum, especially uphill.

So, some comments based on MY impressions after driving your cars:

Phil K--Built on thsi track. Smooth, little taily, good power, follows it's nose

Munter-- Lot of work in this one from last year. Smooth, balanced, changes direction well, nice power, got more for big tracks

OTFS-- Light smooth feel, drives well, lively, again more in hand for big tracks

Obsidith--Fast, smooth, big motor, light throttle required, good car

356 Speedster-- Chuckable, good power/gear combo this track, nice slide, trifle light possibly

Jazzbell--Good car slightly underpowered? . Fly rear motored cars have slight rear bias, swing tail before you can drag/drive them out of corners. Bit like the real ones. Well built.

Slo1quick-- Lively, neat, turns easy, big track promise

Gazza-- Nice, neat, balanced , smooth, what you expect,#1 Team Green car

The Stig-- Nice throwable car, bounce it off the scenery and back it comes for more :aussie:

Triggy-- Like driving my own car...except this one is better, turns quick, nice power, neat, responsive

Old Slot-- SCX motor in this years cars shows lack of low down torque, but will shoot away on downhill sections. Will be better for the run on flatter, open courses

Manic 35-- Car was good to drive while it had traction. Tyres were glassy at start, given a buff on paper, heat restarted ok, half a bracket later went off again gradually to finis

Haystack-- Bit looser than I would have liked, tyres may bed in more, follows it's nose reliably, so should race ok

Lenny Broke-- Drove this car straight after Stig's, very similar, long and stable, and when everything lines up,, fast laps

Espsix-- Lively, and steps out a little, but controllable, more in it for big track

Mohawwk-- Nice,neat, balanced car, good drive

Ben M-- Neat clean handling car, power medium

Tom&Cam-- Sedate, power low, brakes bigger, had to keep on it to maintain momentum

Ember-- Another low torque at low rev SCX motor, slow to get going uphill stretches, wanted to fly downhill, handling neat and tidy

Yngwie-- Looser handling, nice slide, but square tyre shoulders would bite if pushed too far

Devious Dave-- Light, neat, smooth car, changes direction easily, motor a little soft

Manimmal-- Neat car once in the groove,more in it once out on the prairie

Mexico2000-- What a donk! Smooth, neat, overpowered, need to feather throttle, wait for the big tracks

Smallnails-- A little loose, controllable in the groove, stepped out a little

Miveson-- No vices this car, good balance/power/gear this track. maybe a little light?

Brk12345-- Alittle loose, twitchy at limit, zingy motor, lively

phoeno29-- light, rattly, bounces slightly, moderate power, races ok

slittleshales-- tight, light, handles well, seems to bind up a little under brakes

Anthony-- Work gone into this one, equal of other Healeys in handling, but....motor is soft, soft, soft. Perhaps at this early stage you might consider changing this one out?

TazRacer-- Hard to gather firm idea on car, not enough grip. Tyres like glass even with 3 sandings, and motor smells like it's on way out?

Used Phil's PM controller, brake setting unchanged.

Very much enjoyed full afternoon competing your cars, hope you enjoy your turn soon. :)

Chris

H.M.C.C

Thanks for the rundown Haystack. Sounds like you had some fun.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Anthony-- Work gone into this one, equal of other Healeys in handling, but....motor is soft, soft, soft. Perhaps at this early stage you might consider changing this one out?

Thanks so much for the feedback Haystack.

Looks like I got the handling right which is pleasing after what I did to the car after last year but sounds like the NC1 motor I fitted could be a dud. I guess I have to ask is anyone else running an NC1 and if so is my motor poor compared to their's?. Not sure what the go would be on switching the motor even if it is allowed, do I have to switch for the same motor type and what are the penalties. Will have a look at the rules and seek clarification.

Thanks again.

Edited by Antony

Thanks for the rundown Haystack. Sounds like you had some fun.

Always..The little A110's were all fun to drive, your's was just that trifle slow coming onto the juice at the bottom of the back straight up the hill, and pulling out of a few tight corners.

Once you race on the more open tracks where the throttle is open for longer, it will conserve more momentum and race further up the pack.

This track is hard on cars that need big throttle applications because the driver spends so much of the lap maintaing smooth momentum, with only a few longish bursts up hill on the back straights and the following esses to ease the pain. Even coming down the back, there is a nasty little kink to cause a tank slapper, and if you get through it, whoaw, on the brakes for the left hander at the bottom, dont hit the bank.

Chris

H.M.C.C

thanksw for the feed back phil and haystack just 1 question what did you think of the tyres on my car ?

Did not notice that they were much better or worse than the norm, Jason. Why..were they your's, perchance :o

Chris

H.M.C.C

yeah they are the first of a new type of tyre for me

Certainly they were ok to run on here, but you'll get a better idea once you run on a big/open track where you ues more of that motor's performance

Chris

H.M.C.C

Hi All

First up thanks to Phil and Co. for your efforts so far, and thanks to Chris for his comments on the cars.

On the subject on how each round is run.

Speaking as a former series co-ordinator, round host and entrant, I don't have a problem with how this round is being run. the rules say that the host can run the round how they see as fit as long as the time period is no less than 8 mins. Last year I put a restriction on the number of drivers after one round was run the previous year where it appeared that the host allowed half of his extended family to drive. one leg was driven by different people. I don't have a problem with more than one driver running the cars as long as they are competant and the same driver completes the leg driving all the cars.

As to the difference in the cars performance it has been hilighted that the weather conditions may have played a part in this. I know when I ran my round last year there was a diffence in the track conditions between the friday evening of leg 1 and the sunday afternoon of leg 2. This is all part of the game in proxy racing.

The very nature of this type of proxy series is the number of variables and the unpredictable situations that may arise. Track surfaces & condition, different atmospheric conditions, varying driver skills, track layouts, different hand controllers and anything else that gets thrown up. Thats the challenge of building a proxy car, one that can handle as many of these variables to get the best result for that entrant. and yes chance and good luck do play a role in all of this. thats why I enjoy entering cars in proxies. if your car goes well that's great but if not it could be a long series for you. You just have to suck it up princess and work on it for next year.

thats my half a dinari's worth

now get on and enjoy the series for what it is :o

Cheers Alan

Well at least my was consistent! (average to poor)!

Regards

Your car was up with the rest John, except that those largish tyres had a very square shoulder, and when the car leaned hard, they would sometimes bite on the body and unsettle it. May not pose a problem on a more open track.

Chris

H.M.C.C

Thanks Chris. Had a set of NSR's on Slot.it Alfa wheels which were awesome for about 5 laps and then the would tend to grip and tip the car. Oh well, it is all a learning curve!

Thanks for the feedback Chris and Phil.

It seems this is the first proxy for a few like myself. Wondering bout' "the maybe i should have dones" . 8 tooth pinion instead of 9, 26 or 28 tooth crown instead of 27 etc. May be the 42 B motor might have been a better choice than the 4H. But then i look forward to the more open tracks, if there are any.

Im pretty happy with my cars result tho . I like the idea of having different people drive, like Lenny Broke says, as long as they drive all of them in the same heat.

Thanks again for the effort you guys put in to the feedback.

cheers Stu

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Hi John

I've one of those little 2002ti's that I set up for our classic touring car class, as it turned out I didn't run it but I think I got it half reasonabe for what it was.

For the rear wheels I got hold of a set of the Slot it wheels for the Alfa 33.3 and the 312 pb. these were the 14.4mm aluminium ones for the front. they were a similar size to the originals. I think from memory I used a set of MJK NASCAR tyres (similar tyre I.D) that I buffed down to a suitable size. I replaced the long can FK180 with FC130 Mabuchi motor fitted. the BMW 2002 is a bit narrow and top heavy so it is tippy.

Cheers Alan

Thanks so much for the feedback Haystack.

Looks like I got the handling right which is pleasing after what I did to the car after last year but sounds like the NC1 motor I fitted could be a dud. I guess I have to ask is anyone else running an NC1 and if so is my motor poor compared to their's?. Not sure what the go would be on switching the motor even if it is allowed, do I have to switch for the same motor type and what are the penalties. Will have a look at the rules and seek clarification.

Thanks again.

Antony, maybe a 10 tooth pinion would make a difference!

10t not necessarily enough, Yng. Running a 10t on the old 41B in the li'l blue buzzbox.

You're doing well so far Stu. Hope it keeps going that way.

Long way to go yet. The rotund dame won't be singing for awhile.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Gazza-- Nice, neat, balanced , smooth, what you expect,#1 Team Green car

It's the Duck that makes all the difference ..... he quacks me up

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I do not race at all and mainly drive on Scalex track,the only time I get a chance to use either my rally track or Phils tracks is about once a fortnight. IMO by looking at the times Haystack was manged to tame a couple of cars that I struggled with,this is probably due to the fact that he is a lot more experienced than me.

I would be more than happy to drive every stage, BUT I am sure there are about 22 entrants in this event that are glad that I didn't! :lol:

but the 8 entrants whose cars I was faster with would like me to!

As this event is run in stages I cannot see any problem with different drivers in each stage. It would be a problem IF drivers changed during a stage.

The Stig

track3.jpg

I remember saying last year that a lap of this circuit has @ 20-25 throttle changes for @22 changes of direction. Yesterday Phil and I measured the slot length with a stringline @17.47 metres. (@ 57.3'). You have a lot to answer for, Stig. :lol:

Chris

H.M.C.C

Today was a rest day,long lunch and a few repairs.

First up was Embers Alpine, found the source of the smoke!

comandring.jpg

The armature had melted the solder off the tabs and the ring was off the commutator.

I did not have another 41b here,or another motor of the same spec,BUT found an 81b that is same armature spec. so cut the end off and fitted it to the 41 can. Car now goes a lot better.

Tazracer cleaned his motor with some shellite to remove some oil contamination seems better now. I also sanded his tyres to see if that will make any difference,could not seem to clean off what ever was on them.

All other cars had the tyres and braids cleaned ready for stage 3 over the weekend.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

:lol:

A thousand thankyous for attention above and beyond the call of duty Phil.

Consider me now on the trail of learning as much as I can about electric motors. It's been a touch of black magic beyond a basic understanding until now. It shall be no more.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Oh, please feel free to apply whatever penalty anyone may deem necessary.

And Phil, name your reward.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

You're doing well so far Stu. Hope it keeps going that way.

Yeh I feel like a rat with a gold tooth in a pinstriped suit.. I think all can look forward to is a steady climb down instead of up.

Gazza.. Ya he duck looks like he might be an egg layer ..?

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"