Asymmetrical Weight Balance

rick1776

Does anybody try and balance their cars for asymmertical left to right weight balance? I find that the long can anglewinders are the worst and can be anything up to 6g heavier on one side of the car compared to the other side. Even sidewinders and inlines Ive found to be out by as much as 2g. Of course I might be chasing a performance advantage that really doesnt exist??

cheers

rick1776

You are right Rick and some folks with a cunning plan have two sets of identical scales to balance the weight from side to side. I know of another man with a less complex system called cotton thread with which he hangs the car from the guide and puts weight in appropriately until the car hangs straight. Knowing your love of saving some coin the second method is definately your style. Just be sure to give BMR thanks for the tip. With anglewinders the easiest way is simply cut some lead in the shape of the triangle that is left between the motor and the axle. The heavier side of the lead is the lighter side of the car if that makes sense.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Im glad Im not the only person that has thought about it. Where did you get the special slot car thread from? :) Hope you didnt pay too much for it. Just raided my wife's sewing box. Off to the shed with my thread.

That's taking your life in your hands.. I wouldn't be game to raid MTWD's Knitting drawers again..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Im glad Im not the only person that has thought about it. Where did you get the special slot car thread from? :) Hope you didnt pay too much for it. Just raided my wife's sewing box. Off to the shed with my thread.

That's taking your life in your hands.. I wouldn't be game to raid MTWD's Knitting drawers again..

Yeah, I noticed that girl is a bit precious about her knitting . . . . and it worries me when she gets all animated and excited about something and forgets she's waving 12" spears around in her hands as well. . . . . yeah . . you KNOOOOW what I mean,

because "I have been there, I have been to the mountain top" (sorry mr King) . . well it's sort of on a hill anyway.... ROFL

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

spring is in full bloom, we have dating service conversations, Eno telling us his wife wears knitted drawers and now Rick has let go another one of his tuning secrets - he uses chocolates and flowers to restore the asymmetrical balance between spending time with his slots and his wife .....

:huh:

DM

Edited by dangermouse