shodan

Eastside Raceway

'Sup Auslot!

For various reasons I've been out of slot car racing for a while, and boy have I missed it.. Especially the joy of having one's own track- second only to sharing the fun with others!
So, without further ado I'd like to share my new track-in-waiting, the Eastside Driftworks.

After playing around with a few designs I settled on this:

sketch_initial.jpg

It's a common design, in my opinion most famously used in the Dutch Trio Track by Rally Hub. (If you haven't seen it before- click that link baby!)

Further inspiration came from Matt's Mill Park Raceway II- I wanted a similar awesome banked corner.

The theme is a modern style drift circuit, mostly concrete and steel.. the track will be ribbon only with no surrounding scenery, in order to keep the weight down. It will be lit for night racing, with deadstrips for timing- can't imagine photosensors will work well under sunlight!

As it will be living in the back yard, it will be broken into 3 separate modules (with detachable legs) when not in use.
Final dimensions are 5800x1800. Here's some more of my working sketches.

Track plan with slots and frame base shown in pale green..
sketch_trackplan.jpg

Corner design detail..
sketch_corner.jpg

Lighting plan..
sketch_lights.jpg

CAD track plan..
cad_trackplan.jpg

cheers,
Bry

Edited by shodan

my drawings for my next track are along the same lines, I really like rallyhub's track I also like tortilla flat on home racing world -

I have saved your design :wacko: and wil be following the thread

cheers

DM

looks great Bry !

the only thing that may effect you if you intend to race side by side with mates is non equal lane lengths , which can be rectified with a cross over / bridge somewhere ,

keep us posted with the pics

Matt

Dave, like you I prefer a flowing track- but I've just measured the slots - outside 24.6m, middle 19.5 and inside 19.1.... a redesign is in order.. crap.

:mosh: I can't believe I've missed that basic mistake, thanks Matt!
This is a problem because I've just sent this design to be CNC routed..... routing starts wednesday!

Ideally I only want to replace the shaded parts below: If anyone has a bright idea I'd like to hear it
cad_track_oldsection.jpg

Dick, my dream would be to have something like 8 metres.. nowhere to put it though

DM, you're more than welcome- I can give you a copy of the Adobe Illustrator files I've used if you like, although maybe you should wait for the redesign.. :wacko:

Edited by shodan

Funny you should mention that Syd- the plan was to replace a few sections with LC sections later on, and use scorpius or oxigen.

Preparing for digital is obviously fairly involved, in the meantime I'd like to run it as 3 lane analog so lane length is important.

Using Matt's bridge suggestion I've come up with this.. lane lengths would now be: outside 19.8, middle 19.7, inside 19.8

cad_track_newsection-1.jpg

Funny you should mention that Syd- the plan was to replace a few sections with LC sections later on, and use scorpius or oxigen.

Preparing for digital is obviously fairly involved, in the meantime I'd like to run it as 3 lane analog so lane length is important.

Using Matt's bridge suggestion I've come up with this.. lane lengths would now be: outside 19.8, middle 19.7, inside 19.8

cad_track_newsection-1.jpg

Yep good compromise but keep the straight on the bottom of your overpass.Makes for easier marshalling and less accidents with unseen bends! ;)

Happy days, track pieces were delivered yesterday by my CNC guy. :P

12mm mdf, slots 8mm +/- 1mm tolerance- average depth 8.5 mm.

Will post some pics tonight after work..

There was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with the CAD file to get it right, definitely a learning experience... Can scarcely believe I have precision cut chunks of mdf at my house!

The slots are outrageously smooth. There is a couple of spots where I made an ever-so-slight f#*% up in the original illustrator file and the curves don't transition perfectly, but they really are tiny.

All in all, extremely happy with the results.

Didn't grab that many pics but here's a couple.

I layed out what I could around all the junk in the back
pieces.jpg

Checking the squeeze through the midsection of the track
squeezetest1.jpg

Bit of depth of field, just for fun
nsx.jpg

..and some more.
squeezetest2.jpg

Also picked up some pine for the frame tonight.

Cheers

Edited by shodan

Completed the core frame over the weekend. 70x35mm structural pine with lap joints.

It splits into three parts, linked together with M12 bolts. The legs are detachable.

The centre piece still requires a cross brace, and other supports will be added as required for the track supports and elevations.

basic_frame_complete.jpg

Also, primed the undersides of the track pieces.

Braid and PSU arrived today, thanks to the highly efficient Mobile Raceways crew! (I only ordered them yesterday!)

Just waiting for my 3/16" braid recess bit to arrive... USPS tracking tells me it cleared Customs yesterday.

Edited by shodan

Thanks for posting, this is the kind of track I want to build as a portable using two sheets of MDF, that I just happen to have left over....

Keep those progress pictures coming.

j.

www.pretzelcityspeedway.com

looks like fun. What did you use todo the cad drawing? how did you "cut" up the track? and how did you figure out the banking? Could they do a recess for braid?

(trying to get my final design finished to give to a CNC'r)

looks like fun. What did you use todo the cad drawing? how did you "cut" up the track? and how did you figure out the banking? Could they do a recess for braid?

(trying to get my final design finished to give to a CNC'r)

Hey gzminiz

I used Adobe Illustrator CS5 to generate the drawing.

In order to cut up the track, I had to choose some cut points based three things- 1.the size of the mdf sheets -which are 2400mmx1200mm (unless you source the really large ones) , 2.the max size of the cnc router's bed and 3.the size of my support frames.

Once those cut points were chosen, I added them to the drawing on the same layer as my track edges. For the final file, I duplicated the entire track once for every piece (ending up with 9 complete copies visible in one large drawing) and then 'cut away' everything but the piece I wanted from each of the nine copies. This way I could have the track pieces with their slot paths overlapping the track edges.

I'll post it up later, but feel free to pm me if you'd like a copy of the files.

For the banking I used these as reference from Chris Frost:
bankedcornershape.jpgbankedcornerangles.jpg

Using the chart on the right, I decided I wanted 20-25 degree angled bank so my initial angle had to be 165 degrees.

I did not make the corner larger to compensate for the shrinkage of the outside diameter of the corner, deciding just to wing it. This has worked well for me -will post pics tonight- but something to be aware of.

I believe CNC routers should have no problem cutting the recess.
In my case, the guy I went to explained that his router was slightly off level, and he wasn't going to bother getting it levelled as he was getting a new machine shortly. This meant he could not guarantee a .8mm recess with +/- .1mm tolerance.

So, I cut it myself.

Hope this helps.

Bry Edited by shodan

I got stuck in on the weekend, track is now stitched together and is being mounted to the frame.

Had a slight problem with a tarp collapsing, causing a bit of water damage on the banked corner, but all is well

Some random pics..

The stretch

IMG_0775.jpg

This much excess was trimmed from the banked corner to make the fit

IMG_0785.jpg

And done

IMG_0780.jpg

1 piece!

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Water damage... minimal thankfully

bank_wd.jpg

cheers

Edited by shodan

Looks great SHodan. The bank looks super fast. Will you have a problem with sliding cars hitting that support block in the last picture? (that is if that is permanent!)

Regards

John

Edited by Yngwie

Looks great SHodan. The bank looks super fast. Will you have a problem with sliding cars hitting that support block in the last picture? (that is if that is permanent!)

Regards

John

John- No it's not permanent - the actual supports will be well out of the way. Should have them finished tonight.

Edited by shodan

It does look fantastic Bry, nice to see you back and in to it again. Will be interesting to see how hard you can take that bank.

That looks s#!t hot mate. What are you going to paint it with. Might have to outsource my cad as my talent does not extend to drawing, hehe. Hope Peter at MR can do the recess and thanks for the tips and info.

Going to have to dump a vid once it is running. Going to be a fun track

Cheers Rob! It's good to be back :)

I'm keen to see how hard it can be taken, although running counter-clockwise will mean you'll be dabbing the brakes just after exiting the bank..

gzminiz, you're welcome. If you want a hand with the CAD drawing let me know, happy to help out.

Track surface will be Ferrodor- wouldn't have anything else!

Natural Steel Gray this time.