New San Phoeno Track Coming Soon

phoeno29

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I've posted anything interesting on here, probably about 2.5 years since I was last had a track.

In that time, we have started a family, started a business, been on the committee of my local golf club and had some health issues (both wife and I) but things are on the up and tonight, I head to Bunnings with a shopping list and plans to begin building a two lane track for myself and Jack (2.5 yr old) to drive on.

Jack loves going to Red Racer and can drive ok on the big track there so to have a track in our house will be pretty exciting for both of us.

Keeping in mind he is young and likes to grab things and doesn't always listen (he gets this from his mother) the track needs to have minimal scenery, be fairly flowing as hairpins can be tricky for litties... and the unskilled out of practice older person too !

The track will have a road width of 20cm with the slots moving around within this on a racing line. I recently came across a track in Europe which I love and the minimal scenery style would work perfectly for us.

Pleasuredome

I have build a few tracks in the past as you know with lots of scenery so do do something like this is a new challenge for me too. With time being short and this style of scenery shouldn't take too long to put together.

The table will be 3.0m x 1.2m with two extensions which I plan on bolting on to the side to make it a little bigger and give us a better layout.

All going well, I should have the table built over the weekend.

Stay tuned.........

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

I'll look forward to this one

but can we take bets that you'll get increasing urges towards scenic additions.......

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hey Pheono - Welcome back to the fold! I love how that "pleasuredome" worked out - Abu Dhabi allows you to do REALLY minimalist scenery & leaving it looking like scenery.. willing to bet you'll end up trying to figure out how to build the "Neon Hotel" over one end in a couple of years though..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Sounds great Martin, surely just a little bit of scenery out of reach would be ok? :)

My son is now 6 and has become very sensible about racing and handling the cars and admiring the scenery with his eyes and not his hands. So you don't have that long to wait till Jack will be starting his own car collection...

Enjoy and be sure to post plenty of pics for us.

You could make your own version of the Race of Champions track

Jack was funny at RR last week, picked up a car, brushed the bottom of it (no where near the braids !) and put the screw driver into the screw holes and made some random twisting motions..... he's getting there !

That makes him a better tuner than half the people on here :)

- you do realise it will only take Jack a few years and he will be whipping you Martin. My son is 14 and about 4cm shorter than me (I have to say that while I can) he has lost a little interest in slots of late but was most impressed by the Plafit Mini-Z car I was setting up last night - doesn't hurt that it is quick like his RC cars

cheers

DM

As you may have seen Pheono - my little guy (4 in December) is already more analytical than I am. You'll love this "Racing with son" Bizzo for a year tops.. then you'll have to work! :)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

A successful trip to Bunnings during the week.

15 lengths of 3m pine 70mmx35mm @ $6.50 each

2 sheets of 6mm MDF cut at 1500 x 1220.

A few extra bits and pieces.

Supercheap Auto for casters also.

About $220 all up and 8 hours today has stage 1 knocked over.

PA160418.jpg

PA160420.jpg

Excellent - thanks for that. I was trying to explain my plan to MTWD and she said "Uh huh". Turns out that what you're done is what I was trying to describe. Nice to be able to show people photos though. Thanks Pheono.

• 1 month later...

A bit of progress.

Painted the table white.

Drew the track on it

Routed a racing line with two parallel slots.

Taped it up on the outside of the pencil lines (So these can be painted over later)

Taped up with 25mm masking tape the white areas I want to keep on the ripple strips.

Spray painted the rest red. (Overspray will get painted over later)

PB210420.jpg

PB210422.jpg

PB210421.jpg

Next steps are to tape up the red/white ripple strips I want to keep.

Paint the whole table dark grey.

Tape up grey I want to keep (road surface and selected run off areas)

Then final painting is blue ala Abu Dhabi

Edited by phoeno29

Spray painted the rest red.

I thought the "rug rat" had been let loose! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Looking good Phoeno,

nothing like building with the little ones. I always managed to find something for Graham to do in the shop, not to mention, he came in pretty handy when things get hard to reach.

Graham started racing about the age of Jack, now at 7, his favorite thing is still to nerf you off the track, but it's great fun. Nothing better than sharing your hobby with your kids. We now have little brother age 2 racing with us. Variable power supplies are great !

keep the pictures coming.

j

www.pretzelcity.com

• 2 weeks later...
No feeodor, just interior low sheen, $25 a litre at bunnings.

I will be very interested to see how you find this surface Martin, as I am considering a similar surface for my new 4 laner early next year.

Normal people worry me

• 1 month later...

Have been busy over the holidays and finished the track off to the point where it is powered, fenced (to keep cars off the floor) and a little bit of scenery added.

I bought a Jaycar power supply 0-30V for $199. Its adjustable in 0.1 increments. Very handy with Jack (2.5 yr old) not to mention the cars don't go any faster (against the clock) at 12v than they do at 9v, they just become harder to driver.

SCX rally cars at 8v are a hoot, and the two new SCX Nascars I bought with the RX42B motors are very good, so quiet for an SCX and very smooth to drive. They as a company appear to have come a long way in recent years.

Two new Parma 45ohm controllers are spot on for all my cars, and cheap as too Red Racer $33 each.

Next step is to build a grandstand and fill it with homies (classy I know) as well as some lights I picked up cheap at Kmart they look like they can be converted into something useful. ($5 for 20 white LED's on a loop)

The track surface as mentioned earlier for Triggy is just rolled on with a $2 foam roller. Grip is good, and car with MJK's at 9V basically won't deslot, and even Ninco and SCX tyred cars, slip and slide a bit but its really predictable and I have some cars set up like this for more of a driving challenge.

The palm trees i got of ebay for about $15 delivered for 12 of them 17cm or 18cm high.

The signs I made myself and tried to keep them to the same companies that sponsored the 2010 Abu Dhabi GP, the silver fencing is corrugated cardboard.

Ok, I know you have been patient, here are some pics......

P1020358.jpg

P1020369.jpg

P1020368.jpg

P1020367.jpg

P1020366.jpg

P1020365.jpg

P1020364.jpg

P1020363.jpg

P1020362.jpg

P1020359.jpg

P1020361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You have set a high standard of work again Phoeno. Nice looking track with good colour scheme. Good use of a smallish space. I notice that you have opted to avoid a long straight. The corners look like non constant radius curves, so the challenge should always be there in chasing that elusive perfect lap.

I notice from the photos that some of the tape has lifted from sideways motion of cars. I get that on my track but it never seems to affect performance.

Holty