Hemi Speedway 2 - The Road Track (routed)

MOPARGREG

Hi guys

I thought I better give an update what Ive been up to. For those that commented in my track Brainstorming thread a few weeks back thanks for all your help. I really had no idea of what I wanted the track to be like. All comments were taken on board & I have come up a layout. Heres the layout.

gregs-new-track-22-9-10-d.jpg

Heres the tables built & in position. If you notice under one table there is a bed. The bed rolls out on castors for when people stay over. We used to have the bed in our spare room but it only gets slept in lik2 twice a year when someone stays over. We converted the spare room into my wifes art room & a space for my slotcar building. The room where this track will be housed is our 2nd Lounge room. We never really use that room so haveing a track in there will make sure the room will be well used. As you can tell by the red wall, our house is very colourful. Thats one of many colours!

IMG_3774.jpg

Heres the track drawn up on the mdf & cut out

IMG_3792.jpg

Now the tracks been routed

IMG_3882.jpg

Im not sure what happened but the track ended up being 20cms (2/3rds of a foot) wider than expected. I built the tables first, Then I cut the track out & then routed the slots. I didnt lay the track on the tables when I finished routing. It wasnt until I finished routing I layed the track on the tables & I was like 'what the hell'. Its no big deal though, it just narrows the lounge area 20cms. It will be to hard to shorten the track now. I can live with that, Im happy, wifes happy. The track is now 3600mm wide

I went with 3 lanes. Lanes 1 & 3(the 2 outside lanes) vary with lane width between 100mm to 200mm. With Lane 2 the centre lane following the racing line between the 2 outside lanes. So I can use the track as a 2 lane track with no 'squeeze' sections with plenty of racing room. I run it as a 3 lane track with plenty of squeezes. The track will be run in both directions. As you can see coming up the straight theres plenty of room for all 3 lanes.

IMG_3881.jpg

Heres a few more pics. On some parts of the track lanes 1 & 2 only squeeze. Some parts 2 & 3 squeeze.

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

Heres where im up to as of tonight. The track is all joined together but nothing screwed down to the table yet. Dinner was ready so I quickly put some wood I had left over & made some temporary elevations. I basically knew where I wanted the elevations. It will change a bit once I start screwing it down as the wood is just sitting there. Ill play around with different elevations over the next few days before I screw it all down.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

Edited by gazza

Thanks

Greg

Lookin' good MoparD. Although, that red might be a wee bit difficult to blend in to the landscape. :)

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Lookin' good MoparD. Although, that red might be a wee bit difficult to blend in to the landscape. :lol:

Be OK if called "Hidden Valley" or build Ayres Rock in the loop

AyresRock.jpg

The Devil has made good use of the space :)

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Awesome track, and so many nice cars too. The number 3 Charger 500 looks hot!

Yeah I agree with Stubbo, you need some Ford Torino's (to beat haha - jks).

Edited by Muscle Car Master

Cheers,

Tony.

Classics in plastic -|- Old skool is cool -|- Driving my muscle car like a shooting star!

Yeehaa the tracks up & running. During the week I got the elevations sorted, puttyed up all the holes. Yesterday(sat) I taped up the track & today I wired it up. I had it up & running today just after lunch time so I spent all afternoon running laps. My 2 year old daughter & my wife joined in for at least 2 hours, fun was had by all. No exageration my daughter was yelling with excitment for 2 hours, loud enough I was close to wearing some ear muffs. What I was amased with is I was worried about having enough room to overtake but with the way the lanes are, we were overtaking in places I didnt think was possibe. I am so happy I decided to route the lanes like I did with the inside lane following the racing line. It adds another element. Anyway on with the photos, It was ford day out today which should please the ford boys. Alan more to your liking? Anyone know how to change my forum name to Forddevil?

IMG_3929.jpg

Here is one of the funnest parts of the track. My version of the corkscrew. I was worried about the elevations being to steep. It is elevated just under 20cms in this section & drops nearly 20cms in about 60cms of track. The end result is great & really fun.

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

I didnt take a pic of it but the wiggles going over the bridge are just enough to upset the car if you are not careful.

Ember, you think the red wall will be hard to blend into the scenery. It matches the red lane, thats a start! No idea for scenery yet. Ill either do a 50's street scene ala American graffitti, happy days with diners, carhops etc. or 60's/70's transam trace track. Not decided yet

Thanks

Greg

Looks good MoparD. Glad to hear it has the tick of approval from the whole family.

Given the most recent build for your lady fair I'd say go the 50's route. You know you want to. ;)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks guys. I dont know about making it look easy Karkraft. Theres still a long way to go to finishing it off. There are already a few sections I think, it would be so much better if the road did this or that. In the future I might re-route a few bits but for now Im happy.

Has anyone got any ideas of what I can use as guard rails? Im looking for something that looks effective but fairly cheap.

Thanks

Greg

Scaley Armco?

Depends on the look you're after really.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Im not sure on the look Im after yet Ember. Im guessing scaley armco would be expensive right? I might do the outside with MDF first & work out the inside a bit later. I used some corrogated cardboard & some square balsa for the supports on my oval. It worked & looks ok but not really that strong. I really need to work out if Im doing a race track theme or street theme. Im super keen to get the outside borders done at least this week as a few cars have hit the floor already, no damage but that thump on the ground is a scary noise

Thanks John, I just worked on it most nights for an hour or 2 after the kids went to bed, instead of watching TV. Its amasing how much you can get done in an hour or 2 if you are motivated enough.

Thanks

Greg

For street theme the Scaley armco works well. Split in two and remounted looks more realistic and goes twice as far. Have a look at it on Knoath's track. Looks just like the real thing.

Plastic leaf/gutter guard could work well for race theme or down and out or industrial areas of a street theme.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Great track MD! Love the off-camber corners and Luf-style racelines.

I am also a huge fan of the squeezes- it seems a lot of people don't, but I think it really enhances the racing when the cars 'tuck in' behind each other, and there's a chance for some decent clashes ;P

For street theme the Scaley armco works well. Split in two and remounted looks more realistic and goes twice as far. Have a look at it on Knoath's track. Looks just like the real thing.

Plastic leaf/gutter guard could work well for race theme or down and out or industrial areas of a street theme.

Thanks again ember. I just looked at Dicks thread & found them. They look good. I also like his wooden barrier. Hmmm so many choices. I also run both 1/32 & 1/24/25 cars on this track. I also need to decided weather I do the scenery on 1/32 or 1/24. You can obviously fit more in, in 1/32 but there is more variety & cheaper products in 1/24. Ill work it out during the week. I really enjoy both scales.

Shodan theres only really 1 off camber corner which was on purpose to spice it up a bit. I must admit I wasnt a huge fan of squeezes & I was slightly concerened about it when building it. But its really cool, Im glad I built it this way. I was worried about damage to the cars but in most places the lanes squeeze together fairly melow. Instead of an all out crash its more 1 car sliding into the other. Yeah its lots of fun. The bonus is if just running with 2 people, I can run the 2 outside lanes which dont squeeze together.

Thanks

Greg

Hey Greg,

Your track has come up a treat. What did you paint it with, looks like a flat enamel?

When I was looking for armco type fencing for my track I went to Maccas, ordered a coffee then took a fist full of the plastic stirring sticks they have :aussie: I hot-glued them to wooden dowel but should have pinned 'em instead which would have given the look of bolt heads.

Chris.

Late Model

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would give a quick update. Ive been working away at it & have been able to get in an hour each night. This track needs to look like a piece of furniture so I have been spending a bit of extra time to get it right. Its not perfect but good enough for me. Theres still a bit of construction go go like a small cupboard underneath that will hod the powersupply & a few other things. I also need to make a door or curtain (Undecided yet) to hide the bed. Then alot of paint.

It is a fun track to drive & has surely gotten a workout since its been up & running. I have thought a few times about ripping the track up & starting again as I keep thinking it would be great to add some more track in to make a longer lap length. I decided to keep it as it is, as its a real nice drive & I can run 3 x 1/24 all at once. The only way I can see to fit more track in is to make tighter corners & narrow the track. I measured the lap length the other day & I think it was about 14metres. Which is respectable.

Chris the paint I used on the track is just low sheen acrylic. Same stuff you would roller on your walls. Leftover from my first track.

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

Thanks

Greg