Sign in to follow this  
Eno the Wonderdog

I Need To Do Some School..

Ok folks - I can't imagine this being terribly difficult given the right software.

I did "Technical Drawing:" AKA Tek Drag as a kid so unless they've invented a new dimension..

..anyway - does anyone have advice as to a 3D package to learn to use? Given the 'limited' use we would put it to I believe have the time to learn to draw it up properly for myself..

..and maybe for you lot too! For a price.. ;)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Do you really need to go to 3D? It sucks time into a huge black hole. I'd be looking at 2D CAD myself.

But then, I don't know my way around 3D CAD. The only 3D work I've done has been animation.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Google Sketch Up is free

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/

You can do 2D and 3D with it - there are tutorials online which helped me a little bit - I actually used it to design a computer room for work and the builders used my google sketch up to draw up their plans - (I reckon they built it off them myself)

Here is an example not my work - sent to me by someone but shows what you can do

happy to email you the sketchup file and a couple I did of my track if you want - send me a PM with your email address

cheers

David

sketuptrackplan.jpg

Edited by dangermouse

Not necessarily Eno. The routing of a track is essentially a 2D process. It's the putting together later and the form and framework that gives it the 3D-ness. But 2D planning is really all you need.

Plan and elevation diagrams for a building are both only 2D.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Do all your CAD work in 2D, as seen before do a scale print of your layout glue to some card and then cut out. Then you can play with elevations etc before doing the real thing. Seen a number of examples of this over the years seems to work well.

You will get very little value from the energy and time spent modelling it in 3D.

Regards

Rob

I imagine the mild slopes you'd use would mean that 3D isn't needed yeah? I'll take your advice on that.. if it makes it simpler I likes it!

So will that 'FreeCAD' stuff give something I can hand over to "a bloke" to cut me a new track on his magic machine?? How about corners? Obviously a true parabola for a parabolique would be cool but really - only need a couple of radii in the turn don't you?

I pretty much have a plan (Scaley drawn up on Tracker and UR so I could look at it in '3d') but it's going to be mostly as originally designed by Dave (4 sheets) then along the length of the room will be 2 sheets (7.8m total) with an extra offset sheet behind. Gets me around the pole with sight lines & keeps it simple to Marshall for the kids (and means almost all marshalls are away from the drivers..) I'll put up a picture if I can figure out how.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Most CAD or vector drawing programs should be able to give the sort of output you need Eno. You'll be able to export or save the file as a .DXF file.

On corners, again probably largely depends on your design package that your using. But corners probably won't be in terms of multiple radius arcs joined together, as in scaley, but rather a calculated bezier curve. Ok... Nope, not going to work on explaining that one. Haven't touched that kind of mathematics since uni. Suffice it to say it's the way you'll produce curves and corners in a vector drawing package.

And to clarify... Vector based will be what you're after. A CAD package, Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw and the like are all vector based. The computer uses equations to store the information you create. Raster, on the other hand, like Photoshop, Paintbrush, and other painting programs will not do what you're after. They use a different method.

Happy learning.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Haven't touched that kind of mathematics since uni.

AH-HA Ember's a NERD!! :)

(I did Computer Science)

Ooh - thanks DM!

The missus uses it for her bloggering so I just hooked through.

Haven't touched that kind of mathematics since uni.

AH-HA Ember's a NERD!! :)

(I did Computer Science)

Geee... Y'mean I haven't made it obvious?

Almost, but not quite. Started doing maths and deferred after a couple of months. Then finished up doing art and design with a side order of what was supposed to be CAD/CAM but finished up being early 3D modelling.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Embs - it's only the closet nerds that do fun hobbies I reckon!

How to you like the theory? The stuff down the right IS fun - it's what we have - the other bit is theoretical. all runs on 2.4 by 1.2 m blocks..

Personally, I'd be dropping the front (bottom) loop on the left side. I like all the little wiggle bits (like the technical terms?). But it'd be nice to see a big wide open fast sweeping turn in there somewhere. How's that from someone who's not much of a speed nut. You do have quite a few very tight corners in there. Again, I like them, but others don't.

And I'd pitch in a few more opening and closing corners. The right side's too square and blocky for me.

But then again, you'll have a whole lot more freedom when you not stuck with Scaley track shaped blocks. Although I don't see Scaley shaped track blocks as being a stumbling block when it comes to some fun corners.

I'm sure the racing experts will have more useful input for you than I.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

The right is roughly what I have. It's good fun to race on so using "If it ain't broke"..

..some of the corners will be more openy closey - perhaps. The Parabolique is after all the soul of motor racing.

The corner radii are all up in the air at the mo but large swoops will definately be included.. the tight ones are too tight in the picture & will be opened up a little - although I DO want the effect of a proper hairpin.

Try DraftSight Eno. It's a public beta but free and seems to work well so far here. Works for Mac and PC as well. There's a Getting Started Guide available for download as well. I use Adobe Illustrator to draw my tracks but I'm always looking at other software as well.

Cheers,

Todd

Ok folks - I can't imagine this being terribly difficult given the right software.

I did "Technical Drawing:" AKA Tek Drag as a kid so unless they've invented a new dimension..

..anyway - does anyone have advice as to a 3D package to learn to use? Given the 'limited' use we would put it to I believe have the time to learn to draw it up properly for myself..

..and maybe for you lot too! For a price.. :P

Yup google sketchup, its free (the pro version is $799).

I just downloaded it a couple of days back and came up with this 3d pool and spa design Im doing for a landscape package. Its pretty simple and theres over 20 video tutorials.

Cooperpoolconcept.jpg

Its just rough while I learn the finer points but as you can see its pretty amazing for $0

And my 10yr old son can draw basic houses etc within hours of starting.

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Thanks folks - Wondered why no one answered - I think Mr R was "Helping" me read some stuff..

Google Sketch Up is free

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/

David

Thanks for that :) Wasted a whole afternoon and still produced nothing. :D

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

3D design is a real time sucker. Perhaps even more so than racing toy cars.

You have been warned!

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg