Let Gt40 Wars Begin Slot.it Vs Nsr

dangermouse

Well the time is a fast approaching when the GT40 wars will begin.

Personally I can't wait to see what the two cars turn out like - and you know the good thing is - they are releasing the same car - so we can buy both of them - NSR are making MKII and Slot.it a GT40. Maurizio has announced they have tooling to do both GT40 and MKII cars so I can see many more coming down the track.... huzzah!

NSR offering

# Gurney Car - followed by #2 LeMans winner and #8 Alan Mann Yellow and Black

Body dimensions are 61mm width, 134mm lenght, 32mm high.

The wheelbase is 75mm and the distance from center of rear axle to center guide is 92mm.

The weight of the fully accessoried and painted bodyshell it is 19g. whilst the weight of the RTR car it is 70g.

Slot.it offering

Alan Mann GT40 (some might call it a MKI) red and gold stripes

A few technical numbers on our GT40

Height:32mm

Width: 60mm - like I said before on the 2E - with the sidewinder pod we can't make it any smaller

Wheelbase : 75mm

Length: 132mm

Now (racers) hold your breath:

Body weight: 13.7g unpainted (MKII might be 0.5 g heavier)

Overall weight 62g

Front lights: all four

Motor in MKI and MKII: the proper one.

Chassis: EVO6 Sidewinder

Interestingly, the nose has not been split in two (upper/lower) like in other contemporary models (only Fly made it in one piece). A real toolmaker's nightmare which took us a lot of effort to get right.

Photos can be found of the NSR car on their website.

I am thinking pics of the Slot.it car will be out in a week or so..

"Cars will be shown at the Milano Slotlandia fair end of next week. "

some early shots are being fired

"oh, and by the way... Slot.it's GT40 comes with all 4 front lights. Yes you get the 2 bumper lights for FREE!!! " Maurizio on SCI

I have 4 NSR cars and they are great runners - in fact after the first few laps of my MKIV I wondered if I would be able to drive any of my other cars again.

They put a lot of effort into making fast cars and they are starting to take notice of the desire for more detail and accuracy, eg

compare the engine detail on the MRRC and NSR MKIV - cars. the MRRC looks great but we all know which one we want to run.

Slot.it make very good running and nicely detailed cars maybe not quite as smooth and quick as NSR but pretty dang close. For me I think the difference is the stock tyres, though I must admit my last slot.it was the Alfa 33/3 so they may have changed the tyres since then.

I suspect I will get both but I think I will collect the slot.it cars because of what I think will be their greater accuracy in details.

cheers

DM

Edited by dangermouse

I agree with all your comments. I have 3 nsrs. A p68, MKIV & a 917K all white kits, soon to be painted. Ive only driven the MKIV at this stage & yeah great car. I wasnt game to glue & true the tyres or set it up as it was already the fastest car I have. Fantastic performance.

Thanks

Greg

slot.it GT40 prototype showed up at a race in Italy

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

Immagine026.jpg

Immagine027.jpg

from what I can work out it placed 5th?? but if someone Italian is better than mine (the translation put the page all over the place) they may be able to get a clearer picture

and it looks like a MKII and not the GT40 they have announced as first release...

DM

Edited by dangermouse

The classics class with NSR and Slot.it is already a great class. On any night you can see the little ferraris Alfas Chappy's 917ks p68s and mk1vs in many different liveries with more to come all competing. Adding the gt40s to the mix just makes it even more interesting. For many racers the classic class is a definite favourite firstly because of the variety of cars to choose from and secondly because even if you are a bit off the pace for a race win these cars are just beautiful to drive. They are a class above the cars of the same era from other manufacturers. I have an alfa that sometimes when i go to the track to turn some laps it is the car i pull from the box for the sheer enjoyment of punting a car around. We race these with a 20k shark motor so they are not real speed demons on a commercial layout but they are a car that if you bought it as your first foray into slot cars would likely see you stay in the hobby.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I just had the pleasure of reading the comments on SF :lol: . "Holy Toledo", I didn't realize one car could stir up so much controversy. It's good to see a bit of competition brewing between two of the front runners in the industry, as the consumer is going to be the one to benefit from it!

I now own all the makes available of the Ford GT40 in all variants from the different manufactures over the years , and I can honestly say, I don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding the size of NSR's. Seriously NONE of them are 100% accurate, and I cant see slot.its version being an exception to this rule either.

With liveries, I'm glad to finally hear of an AMR GT40 in its original colours. Also theres four liveries from the 1969 Le Mans that haven't been released yet by any of the manufactures, which any of them would be well received in my collection. Car #9 of Frank Gardner & Guthrie's 1969 Le man's entry (DM page 208 in your new book) would have to be one of the most striking liveries ever, Maroon,grey & gold.And yet never been done.

I cant wait for this new NSR car to be released, and it should be a hum dinger when slot.it finally release their version. The posts on SF will be goin Off.

Clevo

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Car #9 of Frank Gardner & Guthrie's 1969 Le man's entry (DM page 208 in your new book) would have to be one of the most striking liveries ever, Maroon,grey & gold.And yet never been done.

69lm09z%20Gardner-Guthrie%20Ford%20GT40.jpg

Nice car and look it has fog lights under the headlights - :lol:

I need a new livery for a MKII - going to do the #9 of Aussie Paul Hawkins with my spare MKI

maybe I will make it into the #1 Roadster from Sebring - paint 2 red cars save a buck on the cost of a can of paint :lol:

DM

Edited by dangermouse

I think with the roadster I will need a bit of card to make the rear of the cockpit and then there is the larger spoiler on the back...otherwise I am just going to hack the roof off a scaley car.

the rear guards don't look too bad in that pic on my other thread http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry137678

just need to find some thin round tubing to make the ridges along the base... plus I need to find some new wheels for it. I think they are like the wheels on the gulf cars rather than the MKII type that are on it

cheers

DM

Edited by dangermouse

Has anyone read post #92 on SCI - in the thread "NSR GT40 Mk II 1966 Le Mans" seems the lines are being drawn.....

Is it just me but doesn't one find it ironic that two Italian slot car makers are competing to produce the best Ford slot car the car built to beat the Ferrari.....??? :lol:

DM

Edited by dangermouse

Thats because Ferrari would have them on toast if they tried to make a 1/32 version of their cars as they dont hold a licence. I suppose they could both call their cars Fazzas and have no pranzing horse emblem on the car or packaging.

Doesnt sem to make a lot of business sense to both want the exact same market segment. Its such a small segment in the first place, and they both want to occupy the same space??

cheers

rick1776

Yes doesn't make a lot of sense to me - though I'm not complaining :lol:

So we know Ferrari has sold out to the Germans - if you want a prancing horse - then you need to go with Capt. Carrera - so here's a question rather than NSR and slot.it both making a GT40 lets enter a make believe world where only one of them makes the GT40 - what car from the same era would you have preferred the other company to make. (Doesn't matter which one makes which to me) - and as Ferrari are out (leave them to the Captain)

What does that leave us with??

DM

Mind you the Capt's 1.24 GT40 is a sweet looking car - wouldn't it be funny if they made a 1/32 one as well (not)

Guest jazzbell

I can't wait for the release of the cars. :lol:

On every forum you read outside of europe it is starting to piss me off over the scale issue :lol:

All i can say as a racer the cars look great and i know before they hit the track it's already going to be a gun car.

I can say this,if Salvatore would just not worry about the scale issues and trying to justify himself to people over the forums the car would be here in Australia already.

I do understand the scale veiw,but the veiw for me is how fast they go,with or without fog lights.

At the end of the day i'll be getting my NSR'S and Slot.it's no matter what they look like :)

The other thing they say is the NSR is not for the shelf,WRONG. Why can't they. They still make a great looking car :)

Up date of my NSR's

NSRUPDATE001.jpg

Regards shane a

teamthunderbird

Doesnt sem to make a lot of business sense to both want the exact same market segment. Its such a small segment in the first place, and they both want to occupy the same space??

Maybe its not about the money or maybe it was time for a show down.

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Great collection there shane, AMAZING!

DM for my money there really is no comparison between the NSR and Slot.it versions of the GT40. They will be both excellent on the track and will both look fantastic, however one of them will be significantly more expensive than the other. On a restricted budget that will be a huge factor and although I may purchase a single NSR car I'll probably purchase every Slot.it GT40 that is released.

all the discussion on SCI and SF makes for some interesting reading - I laugh at the complaints about the low profile ground hugging marketing shots - come on! we all know NSR takes shots like this - that is their preferred style

personally I don't mind the scale issue, so long as it looks like a GT40 - which the NSR does means I will consider buying one - the missing fog lights do bother, I mean the car had them... I don't know how much it will end up bothering me until I see the car (and unfortunately with no one selling them in Brisbane I will only see them online) and for me as the 1st car is the #3 (which I already have in Scalextric, Fly and Carrera) given the cost (with the gear in them NSR are good value so I am not bagging the cost of NSR cars just stating they are more expensive up front than other brands) I think I will wait for the #8 or maybe a different livery before I get one.

But I'm with you Manic :D I will probably get all of the slot.it GT40s especially looking forward to the AMR car as it is a great livery.

DM

Edited by dangermouse

Went to the track today. Tested a few race cars. At one stage pulled the sweet little alfa from the box and turned laps with Kevin who was punting a p68. The lap times were almost identical and both cars were sweet as a nut to drive. All slotcars should drive like these cars do. If they did our hobby would have more participamts than it currently does. Looking forward to the gt40s. Not sure which brand i will buy. Maybe i will buy both.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I have read all the threads on thge other two Forums about the NSR and Slot It cars and IMO many of us complain about the "scale" issue simply because we have seen it all happen before.

In the sixties people raced close to scale cars then " Handling" bodies started to appear, they were lower and wider than scale, to keep up with the competition you had to have one of the new bodies. These handling bodies evolved into wilder things that had almost no resemblance to any real car. This was one of the things was a factor in the decline of Slot racing.

Then Fly came along and a new era started in slot racing, nice looking well proportioned cars. They did not go that well on routed tracks BUT could be made to go well, this made Scalex lift their game as well.

Then Slot It entered the market with very close to scale cars that went very well.

Now Slot It and NSR are producing cars with" handling" bodies to compete with each other,how far will they go,will we see higher rear wings and side air dams and even less clearance to go even faster? Possibly!

Thank goodness Revell car still produce some nice close to scale cars with angle wider motors for us guys who want to race reasonable scale cars.

Interestingly enough people only know theyre out of scale (Ok with the exception of the NSR GT40 headlights!) with a vernier. If anyone claims they can see any slot car body is 3% out of scale by eye theyre dreaming. Either that or they are a genius :)

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com