Scaly Domination In T/a Comes To And End

rick1776

Up to just recently if you wanted to run a T/A class it was Scaly or well nothing else really. We ran the first round of the T/A series at South City and the podium was all non Scaly cars. 1st Pioneer Mustang Notchback, 2nd Pioneer Mustang Notchback and 3rd SCX Cuda. If SCX ever made a half decent motor they'd really shake the tree up. Beautifully balanced car just needed a little more poke. Can hardly wait for the Pioneer version to some out, should be a ripper.

cheers

rick1776

Yes, Rick. Need to know if you tweaked them at the front. If yes, then I want to see if that tweak should be carried over to production standard.

Getting close now with the 67/68 Camaro, that should be a real beast. Looking great right now. Hope to offer you a sneak look at the rendered CAD very soon.

Jules

PS, Rick. Don't forget to let me have back my office key that you half inched last year. You're a Bandit, but I like you all the same.

Fassa-canating Rick. Our muscle class has been all scaley too.

I just about finished setting up an SCX Dodge #42, which gets it's first run tonight. I threw the 25K motor at it, since our muscle car class is fairly open.

My "Jewels from Jules" just arrived Tuesday, and I am pondering choice of a pioneer weapon.

Noting that both your podiumites were notchbacks, do you think the notchback is better balanced front to back, and a little lower COG than the GT.

A couple of our guys already have notchback's set up, so I'd favour team BGR, but ama bit worried it might be at a disadvantage....

ps - try and mislead slotmadmac for me will you, his car setups and driving have been "killer" of late... I need an advantage :aussie:

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Rick - do you run the Pioneers stock?

If not, what is the set up favoured by the podium getters?

Mac

We are allowed to tweek them. Original fitted motor must remain stock though. The secret is getting the front end right and just a little lead in the right place. Oh and change the 12T for a 13T pinion.

Steve,

Anyone that can get to Deduna and back in a day is a hell of a driver! Wayne ran the other Pioneer and yes Trev ran Mopar stuff.

cheers

rick1776

Fassa-canating Rick. Our muscle class has been all scaley too.

I just about finished setting up an SCX Dodge #42, which gets it's first run tonight. I threw the 25K motor at it, since our muscle car class is fairly open.

My "Jewels from Jules" just arrived Tuesday, and I am pondering choice of a pioneer weapon.

Noting that both your podiumites were notchbacks, do you think the notchback is better balanced front to back, and a little lower COG than the GT.

A couple of our guys already have notchback's set up, so I'd favour team BGR, but ama bit worried it might be at a disadvantage....

ps - try and mislead slotmadmac for me will you, his car setups and driving have been "killer" of late... I need an advantage :)

To be honest I dont think there is a lot of difference between the Fastback and the Notchback. Both the podium placegetters were Notchbacks because there were only two Pioneer runners!! A 25K motor lets hope the SCX can cope with that upgrade, it handled beautifully with the STD motor.

cheers

rick1776

Would be good to have some details including opposition Scaly cars. Did they all have standard motors then. Also what tyres and other modifications (if any) were allowed? You mention addition of weight and changing pinion - was this because of particular track or a generally recommended modification? How did this compare with Scaly gear ratio as Scaly is supposedly a higher reving motor. Where was the difference on track. Handling, accelleration, braking or did the guns just change to Pioneer cars. Always good to know the ins and outs.

Agree Pioneer cars certainly look good. They are now generally available and have been added to our NZ muscle car class for 2011 Nationals next April. Should produce some interesting results. In NZ a change of motors/wheels (with right inserts)/axles/bearings plus ballast are all allowed (it is a fairly open class).

Look forward to your comments.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas,

The T/A class we have allows the following homologated motors.

Mabuchi 18k which is actualy closer to 21k in reality

Pioneer 18k which is closer to 19K

RX42B which Im guessing is 17-18k

Mabuchi 18k slimline which is probably 21k??? and is fitted to the Scaly Torana (no one brave enough to race this on the night).

Tyre selection is free (no silicones) but must not have any tyre treatment added (which is hard to police and we rely on honesty). I was running MJK and Wayne was running NSR (I think??).

Weight tuning is allowed

Gear ratios are free, hence the change in ratio for the Pioneer motor as it doesnt rev as hard but has slightly more torque.

Id like to say the main difference was due to the gun driving, right Wayne :) Both Pioneer cars seemed to punch better out of corners but both seemed to get run down by the Scaly cars at the end of the straight, which is consistent with the rpm and torque of the motor compared to the scaly motor.

cheers

rick1776

The pioneers certainly stood out for their performance. The valley is traditionally an NSR track so Rick did very well running MJKs I ran slot.it P6 as i find they are a pretty good all track tyre. On the cuda i ran spirit front hubs 16.5 x 8mm or 8.5 (can't remember) on the rear as there isn't really much room between the chassis and fenders. Kind of odd with an inline but there you go. I ran 10/28 gears with a 42b which had good top end but did not have the punch out of the corners of the pioneers which were running a similar ratio I think. Just one week though and next week its the wide open spaces of BMR. I have a few 42b motors and this is certainly not the best one but the car still goes pretty well. I think the guide setup of the pioneer must be good. Both pioneer cars had excellent crisp turn in and didn't wobble in the slot at all. Interestingly the scaley camaro which has been the absolute dominant car in this class so much so i nicknamed it the camaro cup didnt make the podium. Also Dennis's car which has pretty much been the pick of them wasn't as fast as the front 3 I don't think.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Thanks Guys. Good info.

They sure can be set up to run sweet in stock format with some decent tyres - and right off the bat my Pioneer notchback was faster on my wood track than my best stock(ish) Camaro.

As charlesx said the National muscle car class here in NZ is pretty open. I was planning on running a modified Pioneer next year but after seeing Slotjockey's totally reworked, now inline Scaley Stingray at club racing tonight , there is no way a hot Pioneer is gonna cut the mustard...

Oh well. Where's that $%^#@%$ drawing board...

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Really interesting thanks. Clearly our class is more open as Slot-it orange and other hotter motors are allowed. Silicones also with Maxxtrac M6 probably being the pick.

Muscle class was the only one my brother and I did not compete in at Nationals March this year but we have both acquired Scaly Camaros recently so we can compete in 2011. Pioneers have become available even more recently and hence my interest. We will stick with our Camaros meantime but I will be very surprised if Pioneer cars do not feature next time.

At the moment just concentrating on getting cars going well with standard motor but have just added M6 tyres which are a vast improvement.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks Guys. Good info.

They sure can be set up to run sweet in stock format with some decent tyres - and right off the bat my Pioneer notchback was faster on my wood track than my best stock(ish) Camaro.

As charlesx said the National muscle car class here in NZ is pretty open. I was planning on running a modified Pioneer next year but after seeing Slotjockey's totally reworked, now inline Scaley Stingray at club racing tonight , there is no way a hot Pioneer is gonna cut the mustard...

Oh well. Where's that $%^#@%$ drawing board...

Mac

hmnn my devious mind looks at the possibilities. The scaley stingray is front engined Yes? always tough to make it handle as well as a rear engined car.Still it was a very very competitive car in american muscle at tbirds. Always hard to beat wide track width and low height. Still i think of the corvette as more a sports car than a true muscle car but thats just me. If your rules are liberal i still think the scx cuda is a good platform to start from. Need to rework the guide setup and there is a bolt in pod available to fit standard boxer motors i think. either that or fust go to the 25k rx4h. It revs better than the normal scx motors but doesn't brake with such overwhelming force like the 42 and 42b does. Plus you will have the best looking car on the track by far..... Go the mopar. LOL I get in trouble when calling out go the valiant.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Yep. The Scaley Corvette is front engined. It was aways a well balanced RTR car on wood.

Saw a mildy worked SCX Cuda for the first time on the track last night - running (I think) a 25k rx4h. Looked fantastic. Unfortunately it also looked like it was going backwards compared to the modified SlotJockey corvette. Where's that drawing board again?

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Unfortunately it also looked like it was going backwards compared to the modified SlotJockey corvette. Where's that drawing board again?

I saw this car run too....motor has been moved into the rear position but still inline.

It is very fast.

If this is legal at the NZ 2011 nationals then I dont know if I will enter this class .

I can't be bothered getting one and modifying it to compete on a similar level.

I like my Scaley Camaro's......

011.jpg

I do have a Pioneer to try out though.

regards

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Yep. The Scaley Corvette is front engined. It was aways a well balanced RTR car on wood.

Saw a mildy worked SCX Cuda for the first time on the track last night - running (I think) a 25k rx4h. Looked fantastic. Unfortunately it also looked like it was going backwards compared to the modified SlotJockey corvette. Where's that drawing board again?

Mac

Interesting. The scaley corvette has also performed admirably in proxy races etc. The dimensions of the car are undoubtedly good. Is the class american muscle only or is there a year cut off date? If any american muscle can enter then a worked over scx corvette c6r could be a handy performer. Its always intreresting to run something a bit different than the gun car. Classic tourers were dominated by camaros for a while and when i run touring at t birds it really has turned into the ninco megane cup. Gets boring if everyone runs the same thing its why i don't like one make series much.

Be a trend setter Trev. If you can get a front engined Scaly Corvette competitive I'll be looking over your shoulder to try and copy it. I think the gun car a year from now will be the Pioneer Cuda. Nice wide stance just like the SCX but with a motor that can punch out of corners.

cheers

rick1776

Rick - do you run the Pioneers stock?

If not, what is the set up favoured by the podium getters?

Mac

We are allowed to tweek them. Original fitted motor must remain stock though. The secret is getting the front end right and just a little lead in the right place. Oh and change the 12T for a 13T pinion.

Steve,

Anyone that can get to Deduna and back in a day is a hell of a driver! Wayne ran the other Pioneer and yes Trev ran Mopar stuff.

Lonsdale to Ceduna and back in around 19 1/2 hours - 7am start 2:30amish home - 2 drivers - V8 cars and of course we kept to the speed limit :bday:

Round 2 and another win to Pioneer with the only other Pioneer runner Wayne coming in 4th. The Cuda of Trevor came in 2nd and Dennis' Scaly Camaro came in 3rd. So a nice mix on the podium.

How the hell Trev gets that Cuda running so sweet is beyond me. Must be driver ability?? :mallet: Come across to the dark side Trev, and get the benefits of unofficial back door factory support from Jules :) .

cheers

rick1776

Hey I am waiting for the pioneer cuda. The scx one needed very little work to make it go well or perhaps i am just getting better at making them go. Not sure about driver ability as the car pulled the fastest lap of the night but finished over a lap down on yours. I think that tells you all you need to know about driver ability. As an aside i have the classic car with a change of front end and some new boots and is 3 tenths quicker on the test track so watch out.

Edited by first corner crash

Guest jazzbell
Be a trend setter Trev. If you can get a front engined Scaly Corvette competitive

Trev, let me in on the rules and i'll build a front engine Corvette, they are a gun car if set up right :lol:

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Funnily enough they were the gun car in american muscle t tbirds . Just goes to show you. Truth is i think the corvette is more a sports car than a classic tourer which is what the class is. The pioneers and the cuda have given the class some real interest as it was previously a bit of a camaro benefit. More pioneers to come and maybe more scx??? who knows. Its becoming a good class. I hate classes where one car is dominant. It gets boring.

Edited by first corner crash

Shane,

Go for it but we only have two round left. I'd like to see a front engined Corvette take the grid. Would mix it up which is a good thing.

I think the Scaly Corvette is listed as OK to race in the classic class we run. Rules are pretty simple Shane. Scaly motor and motor position can not be changed. Minimum ride height 1.2mm everywhere (except gear, but if gear makes contact with track it can be removed from racing on the night). Guide, gears wheels are free. Weight addition allowed. No hollow axles. At least 3 of 4 tyres must touch set up board. Tyres, any commercially available tyre (No silicones) that has had NO tyre conditioning applied.

cheers

rick1776