Slot Car Collection

Cleveland

hi clevo,

you have inspired me to get cracking on my inventory but it will have to wait till after the school holidays as im looking after the grandkids.

collecting hothweels was a real bad addiction i had. i decide to stop when they chaged the size of the card a couple of years ago.

that was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders, i can now walk past the hotwheels section and not feel my heart pounding.

i have sold about 800 hotwheels to fund some of my slotcars.

nascars are my main passion, i have all but 4 nascars produced by all slotcar manufacturers.

how long have you been collecting slotcars.

cheers, steve

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-Double transporter spotted in Adelaide , believed to be heading out to Clevo's place to pick up his slot car collection :)

71d9.jpg

Clevo ....Your collection just blew me away mate , it inspired me to build this rig the other night for a bit of fun .

I reckon you'd probably need something this size to move all those cars wouldn't you :)

Cheers

Kev W

Auslot%20strap_zps3mobysvo.jpg

Browse through my albums:https://www.facebook...kevwilsondesign

I've got a team slot R390... Does that count?

And yes, just like most of the guys on here, I'm jealous... Particularly of your trucks...

hi clevo,

how long have you been collecting slotcars.

cheers, steve

Hi Steve,

I have been collecting for approx 10 years now.

B-Double transporter spotted in Adelaide , believed to be heading out to Clevo's place to pick up his slot car collection

71d9.jpg

Clevo ....Your collection just blew me away mate , it inspired me to build this rig the other night for a bit of fun .

I reckon you'd probably need something this size to move all those cars wouldn't you :)

Cheers

Kev W

Kev,

That is awesome mate, love it.

Might need that truck to move to Sydney yet. The removalists have said, "I think there's a Typo on the slotcar collection valuation" :D .

Clevo

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

• 6 months later...

Hi all

Its been awhile since I've been on here. The move to Sydney had been hectic.

I re photograghed the collection before the move and bubble wrapped each car individually........ Seven days later I can now tell you that there is 2087 cars in the collection. The collection arrived safe and sound and back into storage with only a few of the Fly truck boxes obtaining damage in the move

I would have liked to have had all the cars out at once and one big group photo of 2000+ cars, but I ran out of time. There are many photo's that I would like to show, but there's to many to post on here, so I have picked a few pictures of each era that I have collected that I haven't posted before in the thread.

I have a large amount of "New Old Stock" scaley parts from the 60-70s which will used to restore a few of the cars in the next few pictures. Hoping to have the collection out on display at some stage in the future

These three tin plates still run

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

I purchased two hundred repro boxes of various Scaley configuration, with the view of putting the collection on display in repro boxes, so not to wreck the originals with sunlight and moisture. Most of the cars above in the photo's have original boxes. It has been a slow process in changing them over .

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Some of the GT40 collection KIts

IMG_1642.jpg

The Only carrera cars in the collection

IMG_1633.jpg

Have quite a bit of the 80's cars with this type box

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

This picture is of the Three NSR T18 Audi's (Orange,Blue & Yellow) which were pulled from production due to Licensing issues with Audi. I was able to obtain three sets of these cars with the original part numbers and Audi details on the card in the box

IMG_1621.jpg

Clevo

Glad to hear the move went off ok. Great to see just some of that huge collection of yours.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 1 month later...

A couple of interesting models that have just turned up.

The two slot.it models are both limited editions 1 of 500 made, and the green Pioneer Camaro is a "J" code car, 1 of 4 made

IMG_19731024x683.jpg

Clevo

A few more photo's of the older collection

I try to obtain the unusual items from Scaley like the horse racing products. There's a couple of different versions in here

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1583-1.jpg

IMG_1612-1.jpg

IMG_1584-1.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Clevo

• 2 weeks later...

I have a proportion of my collection that have been autographed by the drivers, so I Thought I'd share a part of that, and what would be the pinnacle of my collection now.

I first met Sir Jack at the old Port Wakefield race circuit in SA. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of his first career Grand Prix win. Fantastic day event and got to meet one of my all time favourite sportsman. Sir Jack spent a few minutes talking to my partner and myself and when I brought out some models to sign, he spent a few more minutes talking about the models and the real car. It was a highlight that I will always remember.

P1010192-Copy.jpg

ScalextricSportC2639A-6.jpg

ScalextricC2639Autographed-1.jpg

I have six of the Limited Sport Boxed Climax's signed inside the box, and one standard version on the car.

Clevo

Edited by Cleveland

Hi all

Over the past few years since starting this thread, I’ve been inundated by numerous questions regarding my collecting techniques, So in the next few weeks I’m going to share ALL my Secret’s, knowledge, tips, observations & trends in the collecting market that became invaluable tools for myself in this hobby.

“Why am I sharing this info”, Well why not. Other members share all their secrets in setting cars up for all to see, so why not look at the other end of the hobby, Collecting…….

If you’re just starting out, or already an established collector, I’m certain you will find something informative or helpful in the following weeks, Regardless of your budget or buying style. When I first started collecting in slots I was on a very limited budget, due to other hobbies & commitments, so I worked out ways of collecting cars and building a track at an attractive and more affordable cost (more on this to come).

These tips are only in my “Personnel Opinion and Experience”, but they have worked very well for me.

I will be covering tips from the following topics with examples detailing “How & Why”

• Collecting

• Selling

• Investing

If you’re interested in knowing my logics behind purchasing certain models that have become collectable/valuable, please be sure to check out this thread in the weeks to come. Will only be a couple of tips per post.

Well better be off and start writing……………………

Clevo

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Its been awhile since last being on here.

So I thought I'd give an update on the collection. Its back in Adelaide again ,after spending 12 months in Sydney last year, and were moving again at the end of this year interstate (Wifes work). Sadly moving this collection is proving to be a pain, and my interests have moved back to restoring real cars, So in short some of you might have already noticed it has slowly been listed on ebay. Its being unboxed and listed in small sections ,Its going to take a long time to get through.

I will be keeping the GT40's and a few others, but pretty much most of it will be going. Who know's, I might even buy that Ford Cobra that I've always wanted

So keep an eye out for slotcar57 on ebay......................

Clevo

Good to see you Clevo. Shame about the change of direction, but these things seem destined to happen in life.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Its been quite some time since being on here, so I thought I'd drop in and say Hi,

And as always have a few pic's of the collection to post . Have had to open all the boxes again to check for damage since the last move (a few months ago), the novelty wore off real quick individually checking 2500 models. But I did get a few pic's that I haven't taken before.

Keeping an up to date photographed listing payed off, as there was a minor hiccup. But that got sorted fairly quickly due to detailed the cataloguing. So if there's any advice I could give the collectors out there, get your collection up to date with photo's! Remember photo's speak a thousand words!

Manic; these are for you mate. Sorry I couldn't get the whole collection in one photo, but there is approx 1000 in these pic's opened at once in the one room (To lay all the models out flat side by side, Im pretty sure I'd need a hanger floor).

These photos warm my heart and put a smile on my face! Just awesome Clevo, such a shame you could get the single photo of the entire collection.

1130.jpg

1123.jpg

1131.jpg

Some of the scaley boxed L/E's. More under the tables

1336.jpg

The Fleet

IMG_2623.jpg

Slot.it Special Edition Porsches

1421.jpg

Clevo

Very cool...

Whilst I'm a firm believer in that cars should be run, it is also nice to see such a complete collection.

Oh, and you need a much larger space so that you can have them on display...

Or at least, part of them on display, and rotate through them group by group every month or so.

[snip]

[pics]

Clevo

Holy molten loveballs, batman!

What a collection!

I have bought about 11 Slot.it cars in the past few months, and there is no way I could keep them in their packaging - they have all lost mirrors and wings from flying off the track :D

Very impressive!