lavenlaar

Racing Legends And Ripplestrip

I got a telephone call today from a Mr Warren Weldon.... (racing car driver from the 60's)

I put in a request for an interview with him and he called me personally to say yes. WOW - now they are the GENTLEMEN of motorsport.

Anyway next week travelling to his house and im putting this out there for a few of you who'd like to ask a question.

I will ask him some of the better questions and publish it in ripplestrip, hopefully this issue, giving it goes live 2 days later.

And that i a start of some that i have already been in contact with...

so place your requests below

Cheers

Brendan

Q. What possessed him to race a studebaker with drum brakes at bathurst? Pity you needed brakes at the end of conrod otherwise....

cheers

rick1776

Yep, the brakes were shockers.

The main problem was the automatic adjusters. Under heavy braking at the end of Conrod, the drums got so hot that they expanded quite a bit.

The adjusters thought, hmmmm I had better adjust the brakes.

By the time the car was headed back up the hill, the brakes had cooled down, contracting onto the now oversize shoes, and the brakes bound up going accross the top. And so it went until the brakes gave out.

Warren went into the pits with no rear brakes, as the drums had worn so much oversize that the pistons popped out.

No probs said Bert (Bert Needham was team owner), they jacked the car up, put some more fluid in, disconnected and flattened the brake lines and folded them over to seal them off and said "Off you go son" :rolleyes:

In 64, the adjusters were fitted as per the rules, but for some strange reason they didn't work.

The steel wheels were a drama as well.

You can ask Warren how the bumper jacks work. In 64, he was leading the race outright by a mile and broke a rim around the dipper (I think) He had to stop and change the wheel on the side of the track.

The next year Bert found some nice Customline steel rims, and punched the Studebaker part number into them. That made them legal... Well sort off.

Then there was the time when the fuel tank held a gallon or so more than it should have, and the cars were being scrutineered after the race, and Bert sh#t hisself. Warren said no dramas, and proceeded to lift the car up at the back with the jack in the middle of the fuel tank. Bugger... musta happened during a pit stop. :P

Musta been fun.

:D

Steve K.

Q. What possessed him to race a studebaker with drum brakes at bathurst? Pity you needed brakes at the end of conrod otherwise....

The main reason that Warren raced the Studes, was because of Bert Needham. He was like a father figure to him.

Steve K.