1/24 Scale Car Racing

bump

Thanks Terry.

I severely underestimated how long this "kit" would take to assemble so it won't make Friday night's race. :lol: The drop arm bit confused me for a while as my other cars with drop arms let the arm drop through the chassis. We live and learn.

Bo and I will have them sorted for the next one. Bo found an original Strombecker chassis for his Cheetah. My car's bodywork is almost done, next is the chassis. Its looking good so far, all nice and red.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally understand droparms and now you want pics??? Tough audience!

I'll see if I can finish the decals today and snap some pics of the body before clearcoating. Could be tricky because its my wife's day off and she started the housework as I'm typing.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Hi all,

We are talking 1/24 Cheetahs and pics ? Let's have a look at a few :

Cheetah-1.jpg

Cheetah-2.jpg

Cheetah-3.jpg

Cheetah-4.jpg

Cheetah-5.jpg

Cheetah-6.jpg

Cheetah-7.jpg

Cheetah-8.jpg

How about a few Roadsters ?

CheetahRoadster-2.jpg

CheetahRoadster-3.jpg

Yes, there are all competition slot cars and not static models. Most of them are the good old Strombecker Body. All are built onto a fully adjustable scalecar chassis. Lots of additional detail parts were used to get to this appearence level.

Very nice, aren't they.

Cheers

Werner

bugger..............................................................................

There's a lot of extra parts been added to those cars. I was comparing mine to Beejay's Cox 1/32 and the Strombecker is very basic for detail. No filler caps, mirrors, very basic bonnet/hood inlets areas and a plain engine block. Werner, wherever did you find these pics please? They are an excellent idea source.

Maybe my 1st Cheetah will just be a basic race car, just to get something finished.

....Don't be buggered Glenn and please no resignation as far as your 1/24 Cheetah Project goes.

The Cheetahs you are looking at were built by two of the leading scale model car racers from Germany, Matthias Parke and Pit Schwaar.

Matthias, by the way, is the current World Model Car Constructors Champion also featured on the IMCA website.

Not wanting to get in "commercial post trouble", I would like to add that, yes, we do sell models like these, lots of such bits and add-on pieces, body kits, or if required we also can organize such handbuilt RTRs but of course, for "a price" only as there is a lot of work in one of these.

At the Melbourne Toy and Hobby Fair in a few weeks time, we will have a display of such cars as the main emphasis this year concentrates on the 1/24th scale.

These cars are the absolute top in True-to-Scale 1/24 Model Car Racing but they are not built to sit in a cristal glass cabinet. These are competition slot cars and they are raced together with respect of course, but also with the aim to win the event.

Cheers

Werner

Cheetahtop.jpg

Cheetahside.jpg

Cheetahfront.jpg

Work in progress. I did the numerals this morning so a few days to dry before clear coats.

The chassis is not started yet, still doing the wheel inserts (left front is done, left rear needs detailing).

Werner, the bugger was needing to add more detail!!! I picked the #58 Factory racer but the kit needs more detail. As usual, a compromise between detailing and getting the car onto the track where it belongs. Do you have a website or online catalogue? PM me if you like.

Cheers

bump

....Don't be buggered Glenn and please no resignation as far as your 1/24 Cheetah Project goes.

The Cheetahs you are looking at were built by two of the leading scale model car racers from Germany, Matthias Parke and Pit Schwaar.

Matthias, by the way, is the current World Model Car Constructors Champion also featured on the IMCA website.

Not wanting to get in "commercial post trouble", I would like to add that, yes, we do sell models like these, lots of such bits and add-on pieces, body kits, or if required we also can organize such handbuilt RTRs but of course, for "a price" only as there is a lot of work in one of these.

At the Melbourne Toy and Hobby Fair in a few weeks time, we will have a display of such cars as the main emphasis this year concentrates on the 1/24th scale.

These cars are the absolute top in True-to-Scale 1/24 Model Car Racing but they are not built to sit in a cristal glass cabinet. These are competition slot cars and they are raced together with respect of course, but also with the aim to win the event.

Cheers

Werner

Werner

No trouble there and a reminder for us to finalise our rules. As I have noticed recently that sort of information is appreciated when guys are after hard to find parts.

Glenn

Good to see you have been a busy boy. I uncovered a Cox chassis in my parts the other day. Have to find a suitable body for it. Maybe a Cobra. Any I can find on here?

Very nice bump,don't want to tell you how to suck eggs,but if you are going to race the cheetah ,and especially if your decals are from patto,don't forget to give them a couple of coats of sealer.I use "Johnsons One Go" floor polish ,comes in a yellow bottle,blue cap and a couple of coats will prevent them from damage during racing.

Look forward to seeing the finished article.Very nice.

terry

Glenn....That is a great looking car, the colour is really good.

I love these 1/24th cars and I'm currently looking round for a suitable kit to build my first (well first since the 60's), possibly the Tamiya Group 5 Jagermeister BMW.........

Can we see more pictures as you progress?....

Regards

Alan

The Cheetah project is raising lots of questions about chassis mods (is it legal to add weight to the drop arm, and elsewhere), clearance, track width, guide placement (Cheetah has very little nose so the guide is sticking out), scale appearance (how much can I grind tyres to get more weight on the guide) etc.

However, its proving very very enjoyable to build and detail, albeit more trial and error as I go into unfamilar territory. miniBump says its the sickest car we have. Werner's pics of other Cheetahs fired up the "I can do that" for the the next cars, 1/24 and 1/32 though 1/24 will be easier because of their size and availability of detailed kits.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bo's car since he's collecting a range of add on parts to really go to town with. The engine bay is the first mod I need as the kit parts are way too bland.

Bump,

As far as the AMCRA rules go, you can add weight wherever you like, as the chassis is open.

With the guide, the restriction comes with the rule that says:

"No part of the rolling chassis is allowed to be visible outside of the body, when viewed above. This includes: wheels, tyres, axles, guide and any part of the chassis."

If you want to check out our rules in a bit more detail, have a look here.

Our minimum dia for tyres (front and back) is 25mm at the beginning of the race, keeping in mind minimum track clearance is 1.2mm.

Another rule that we would check is the minimum weight of the car @ 180grams.

I'm not sure about the Hornsby rules, Terry could help out here.

:)

Steve K.

Well as far as the regs go we more or less are the same as Liverpool,or is it that Liverpool is the same as Hornsby,weight can be added wherever you feel its needed,a lot will depend on the grip you can attain with the rubber tyres,tyres can be sanded down to achieve the right look as much as anything else,we have a minimum starting diameter of 25mm.

terry

Hi all, been very busy with work and all lately so haven't had time to lurk about here.

Getting back to a post earlier in this thread:

Quote:

"The biggest issue that I have found is, even in Adelaide, each track have there own unique set of rules and regs. At Bills track, he wants you to run his tyres. At Neils track, he wants you to run His tyres. I'm not sure about Longbeaches yet (I haven't been)."

Hoffy, we dont care what tyres you use. If you are willing to drive all the way down here to the south coast, you can run what ya brung. Hell, I'd probably even give you a free set anyway. And I usually have at least two different kegged beers on tap for tasting...

In fact the latest tyres from Neil are now based on my urethane tyres discovery anyway, except that we use silicone molds whilst Neil/Ian G have some proper decent steel (?) molds.

The rest of the regs at LongBeach Raceway are based on the classes raced at Neils, the fact is that (a) on the south coast we just don't have the people interested in full on competition to run events independantly from SSR, (here, most prefer to do some laps, drink beer and chew the fat), and (<_< as I am well into my job of overseeing the construction of the new brewery and bottling line on the south coast, my work is just taking up waaaay too much of my time at the moment.

But any time you want to drop by Hoffy, just call in advance.

The date for the fourth annual Bethany Wines Slugfest at Long Beach for 1/24th scale hardbody NASCARS will be announced soon - usually a great night with good prizes from Bethany Wines and Mark Poole Motorsport.

Cheers and awra' best!

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garang/

The Best Damn Brewery in Australia. The Best Damn Brewers too.

And they drive some pretty mean slotcars...

The Steam Exchange Brewery

I found out that there is a 1/24 Nationals race event in July, this year at Hornsby NSW, for hardbody cars in Sports, Stockers, NASCAR and F1/Indy cars. Peter should have the rules ready in a couple of weeks but he said the event has been running for 4 years. Most classses revolve around MJK chassis, Plafit/Ripper motors and rubber tyres. More details as they come to hand.

Why not ? :)

I tried the Nats in the 90's in Flexi's and got soundly thrashed. The hardbody guys here seem more willing to share tips and tricks so maybe its time to give 1/24 another go. Besides, what's the worst that could happen other than come last and have the results published on the 'Net (already happened anyway!!!).

It would be really interesting to see the state of whatever National level hardbody 1/24 is. I'm not planning on extending the trophy mantelpiece though, if that's what you mean :huh::lol:

Just got the Strombecker chassic from Geds and fitted the body and did some test laps, goes and looks great. Now the works begins on the body.

Here are some pics of my Cheetah GT 1/24

cheetah01.jpg

cheetah02.jpg

cheetah03.jpg

It came with a green can 36D

Regards Bo ;)