ozquad44

Seems New Ssd 6 Car Pb Has Landed In The States

Still waiting for mine from US, 10 days now - hopefully it will arrive today....

Well mine took six days door to door. Got to be happy with that.

As for first impressions of the PB itself. (from an admitted slot-car novice). Well after about three sessions of using it, I'm comfortable enough to use some of the key features without too many dramas. I must say it's far harder to get a grip of the menu system than I thought it would be.

Programing Pace cars took a few goes to get right. I had to leave it and come back to it because it was getting on my goat at one stage. The instruction booklet could be longer in my opinion. It's a bit flimsy in its explanations and assumes a bit of prior knowledge.

For example; I must have pressed the left and right arrows simultaneously a dozen times before i realised i was doing it wrong. If Both arrows are side by side in the book it just means you can press either one, and not both at once, as I thought. (although thats not always true either, when you reset the default settings it requires the pressing of buttons simultaneously).

I'm guessing someone versed with the old 6 car PB or PB pro, would take to it like a duck to water, but for newbys like me it was down-right painful.

I did learn something whilst playing around with the pace cars. Program them into separate I.D's or when your racing them they will beat you every time. Two cars using one Id will clock up the laps pretty damm fast.

Another thing I learnt was that at certain times (not in every mode) you can use the enter button to grid the cars up prior to a race. So to race all your pace cars, fist assign ID's to each one. let them do some warm ups then hit the enter button to set grid. All the power is stopped, you can pick up all the pace cars and set them up. Grid your own car. then press the start button. The count down will commence and off you go.

I'm running my F1 cars as pace cars and an Australian standard V8 super-car as my own car and racing them. The F1's only need about 15% power to go around my track and be challenging to pass. Beats doing timed laps by yourself thats for sure. I set both cars to random lane changes and off I go. This function alone makes the PB worth it for me.

I think its the first time I've really got the digital system working enough to impress me.

P.S. One button car programming!! To do this (In certain modes) you must press and hold down the ENTER button on the PB until the little LED on the dash goes green. Then you put your car on the track and press the BRAKE on your controller. Or in some other modes, you can enter the menu by pressing the appropriate PROGRAMING ARROW buttons a few times to bring up the right menu. Then you press the BRAKE button or hit the excelerator to make the car go. This is all good, except for one little detail..... It takes more than one button to do ONE BUTTON PROGRAMMING! :)

Well to ID 6 cars would only take 7 button presses, one average that is closer to one than to two... But I agree that it is a little bit cheeky to call it one button :)

Mark, did the cable get there yet?

Edited by RikoRocket

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

Well to ID 6 cars would only take 7 button presses, one average that is closer to one than to two... But I agree that it is a little bit cheeky to call it one button B)

Ah you've got me! That would mean 7 button programming for every six cars programmed, so just divide that number by 6 (1.1666666) round that down and Wu-La. One button programming per car! It's all making sense now. :-P

Marketing, got to love it don't you.

Mark, did the cable get there yet?

Colin,

Cable arrived on Friday thanks very much - just have to wait for the new release of SSDC to give it a whirl.

Unit arrived yesterday and I'm in the midst of writing up a review - can't say any more than that for now B)

Cheers

Mark

I think we can safely say SSD is the best system currently on the market out of the big 4. Congrats to guys from Slotforum (you know who you are) who helped on the project.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Can't comment on the other systems, other than a few brief goes at a Carrera system, all I know is the SSD gear. The four car PB and now the advanced 6 car PB. But from what I've read and had first hand experience of the substantial improvement over the four car PB the new advanced 6 car PB. Id have to agree with you there.

The new six car PB has resored my faith in Scaly. I was pretty disenfranchised by the whole game there for a while. Now this thing has sparked a bit of life into it for me.

Down the track I would like to see switchable brake lights and head lights on SSD, sector timing, and variations on the lane changers though. IE bi-directional CLC and XLC. Plus a decent pit/fueling system. But I'll take what they've dished up because its pretty good stuff.

Can anyone say power!

Switchable lights, sector timing, bi-directional not possible with SSD because of the architecture. A decent fuel system is however.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

;) .................Simply fantastic review Miveson.

Not sure what your day job is, but I wouldn't be a bit suprised if your asked to do future reviews by any of the manufactors on their latest offerings.

Well Im sold, guess Im going digi after all.

Cleveland

(Im that impressed by the review I used my whole name :lol: )

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Down the track I would like to see switchable brake lights and head lights on SSD, sector timing, and variations on the lane changers though. IE bi-directional CLC and XLC. Plus a decent pit/fueling system.

Switchable lights is not possible as the comms protocol doesn't support it, brake lights are supported but you have to buy the early saloon chips with the BK pad on and then wire according to RichG's guide. Sector timing we did on Slot-GP software before, it might come to SSDC in the future. Aussieslotter has already done all the bidirectional stuff. I make Pit-Pro systems that work with the new powerbase and SSDC V5, and of course with the old PB6 and PClapcounter as well as SSDC.

Got anything new that you want? :aussie:

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

Finaly had a run with the new PB. 7 of us started at 7.30 and I had to kick them out at 1.30. I have a 16m 2 lane scaly track with 4 xlc's, only 1 powerpack at the moment but we ran 4 cars (5 at one stage) and it didn't miss a beat all night. We ran v8's, some gt cars and scaly super resistant cars ( a must for newbies and guests ) Only a practice night but converted a few guys to digital racing. Most fun I've had for ages.

Well I've taken the plunge and orderd the new powerbase from the USA. Hopefully arives in 7-10 days. After becoming disgusted with Scaley digital earlier this year and ripping up my digital track, I'm going to see if this new powerbase offers any hope over the original 4 car powerbase I had. I really love slot car racing but got so frustrated with the quick decay of the system I threw my arms up in disgust. I've had a few ideas since then about how to maintain the system and why it might have decayed so quickly, but time will tell if my second attempt will end in tears.

My original posts about my problems is here:

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?sho...hl=battletweety

BT

A story. Last friday was my first big night with the new 6 car PB, so to impress the boys I decided to clean the whole track down with WD40 but half way around I ran out. Then I remembered someone mentioned Inox, so I found my old can of Inox and finished cleaning the track. OH S#@T, now I had half a track with grip and half a track that was an ice rink. Now with 2 hours to go before everyone turned up I was now wiping down the track like crazy, then something strange happened. The Inox had completely cleaned the rails on the whole track, they were almost as clean as the day they were born. Hours of racing later and the new PB was great. Just use it on the rails, not the track.

Sorry eagleby, I think I mentioned INOX a while back but your right only for the rails, braids & motor it makes a BIG difference for scaley digital.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

The postman just delivered my new 6 car advanced powerbase to my door. Are you kidding??? its 7.30am and I have to go to work in 5 minutes - NOT FAIR NOT FAIR!!! Its going to be an anxious wait till tonight then.

On a very positfve note - it took 7 days to get from the usa to my door - fastest package I ever received..

I'll post my first thoughts tonight.

BT

I'm home!!!, thought about it all day, so just set it up - powered it up with two power supplies - have spent half an hour reading the intstruction book - I still have no idea. Anyway have been able to work out how to race the cars - all seems fine. I just don't know how to work the powerboard menu - the instruction booklet is absolutely useless. Time to go forum surfing.

BT

Yup, after 5 years they got it right :(

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Well 5 years late or not, I only got into Digital this year so its right on time for me. I can appreciate how long others have waited though.

So comments about it now that I have been playing with it for most of the evening. I've probably got nothing different to say than others who have already reviewed it. The race modes are good, the analog mode is FANTASTIC!!! all my old cars once again racing around the track - with lane changers still installed. The pace car mode is very handy although a constant speed around the track doesn't really give the best lap times, but hey its not bad for practice and overtaking in digital mode. When I eventually connect up SDDC I may have the ability to tune the pace car to thet rack which will be very cool.

The really nice thing I like is the brake button acting as a "stop the race when i crash" button. I know when I tell my kids to stop racing when someone crashes, it soemtimes takes a bit to sink in. Now anyone can stop the race whenever the want. ONly problem is I can see my mischevious kids stopping it just for a laugh.

Assigning cars to contollers I found to be better than the current 4car pb. Just go into car mode and press the brake button to assign the car - easy!

The instruction booklet - UGH - waste of time and you'll need a science degree to dechiper it. Even then it doesn't actually tell you much.

The menu system - well its ok I guess, the letters are hard to read on the little screen as they have used an older style calculator display rather than a modern dot matrix style. I can't believe a higher resolution dot matrix display couoldn't be used for a similar price, but anyway, over time you get to understand how to decipher their words and abbreviations.

The stats are interesting and you can see your lap times as you race. One thing you can't see is the position of everyone in the race. it only indicates who the current leader is. I am really looking forward to when I connect up to SDDC and have a much nicer display.

I'm using 2 power supplies for it from my 2 digital scaley sets and the things provides ample power to the track and cars. I'm using 2 lane changers and one pitstop setup and I tried 6 cars on it - all powered wonderfully.

So overall? A great little addition to the powerboard family, more than enough race features for the average enthusiast but suffers from a poor user manual and the display could probably be better.

Well thats enough from me - I'm just one excited little jelly bean right now.

BT