ozquad44

Seems New Ssd 6 Car Pb Has Landed In The States

Saw this in Slot car Illustrated. all cred to "Mr Flippant", quote is as follows:

Greetings, all.

I've been given the enviable opportunity to review the new power base for SCI. I have only had the review unit for a short time so testing/review is not complete yet, but I thought some of you might enjoy some of my first impressions. A complete review from the perspective of someone with a fully upgraded SSD layout, including PB-Pro with Simple-H, including some comparisons between the two as well as my impressions of its feature set as a whole will be forthcoming shortly, hopefully by the end of the week.

First off, I must say that I'm well impressed. Everything I imagined it could be, it is. Everything I knew to be true based on past reports and releases, is true. Everything I hoped to be true, appears to be. It even held a few surprises for me.

We know a lot about the new base, since it was announced with a more or less complete feature list, and the manual itself was released as well. We knew it had a pace car function, but one thing I didn't know was that the pace cars are quite versatile. They can be set to a specific speed, with lane changing set to none, random, or constant. That's cool, but the real kicker was that the pace cars can have their laps counted or not (on an individual basis) AND have their lane changing behavior selected. Yes, each car can be set individually to SIX different lane changing/lap counting combinations, along with individually controlled speeds. This feature really wowed me, partly because I was not expecting it, but also because it's MORE versatile than the latest PB-Pro software.

There are a lot of features and I'll get to them all as best I can in my full review. I will mention one thing a lot of people are probably interested in, and that's power. So far I've only had 5 cars running around at once, using two power supplies, so it's not a complete stress test, but it didn't bat an eyelash. The original 6 car power base would have been showing signs of power drops with 5 cars, but this one wasn't. This was with 4 pace cars and one controlled car. I'll really run it through the ringer in my full review, and see how many cars it can push before it starts to complain about it. From what I've seen so far, though, a power upgrade is something few people will feel the need for.

Analog mode works great, but again, I haven't had time to really put the hammer down and give it a real run. Rest assured that analog performance will factor heavily into my full review.

I'm sorry if this is too much of a tease for you, and I regret that I won't be able to answer any questions people post here until my review is complete and posted here on SCI. Hopefully this gives you something to look forward to rather than complain about. "

End of Quote. Hope I haven't breached any copyright stuff, just thought I'd put this in here to see if anyone else knows anything about this, and if anyone in australia has seen it at the wholesalers yet?

Well gents, unless another forum is taking the pi$$, it (new 6 CAR PB) is defiantly on the streets.

A review has been written and I look forward to having read of it. but I won't be cutting and pasting that, you'll have to go searching for 6 car PB threads or review done within the last 48 hours.

Lets hope that this particular website realise they are holding onto gold at the moment, before the market drops, as no-one else has this information. Not even the Scalextric website.

I'm more interested in the final price - last heard was some 99 GBP, which seems to me that it makes it real expensive.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

I'm more interested in the final price - last heard was some 99 GBP, which seems to me that it makes it real expensive.

Ian

Look here - $150 in the US + Power Supply if you need it. Includes the timing tower. Not too bad!

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

$200 with power supplies is very cheap. The most advanced PB there is + analog.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

So can I run this of my current power supply which is variable 5-15v. Would I then be able to adjust the voltage for analog mode, I assume Digital would need the full 15v....??

DM

Ian

Look here - $150 in the US + Power Supply if you need it. Includes the timing tower. Not too bad!

Why doesn't someone try to buy one?

Over $75.00, free shipping? Gotta be a good deal if its really there!!

Wonder if they will go onto a backorder, like the MR Slot Car Mazdas I tried to buy from a different site.

"S#!t Happens"

So can I run this of my current power supply which is variable 5-15v. Would I then be able to adjust the voltage for analog mode, I assume Digital would need the full 15v....??

DM

No you can use any voltage from 8.5V to 16V

Why doesn't someone try to buy one?

Over $75.00, free shipping? Gotta be a good deal if its really there!!

Wonder if they will go onto a backorder, like the MR Slot Car Mazdas I tried to buy from a different site.

They will be in the shops in the USA Monday (Tuesday our time).

Normaly Australia gets the first shipments. But not this time. Id reckon we arent far behind.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

DM

Assume we can get enough power into it.

If 2 of the weak scaley transformers will do, then my 3-15 V, constant 25 amp will pi$$ it in?

I'd be more concerned about the power output. They are limited as they are made for the toy market.

Probably be fine with 6 standard Scaley cars, but what if with 6 non-standard cars?

Time will tell, I suppose.

"S#!t Happens"

Free shipping is US only. And you'd get a US power pack.

Power pack is irrelevant as those with variable power supplies will simply put the relevant plugs on it. Apparently it uses the same power plugs as the digital 4-car base.

Mine's on order and should be here in a week.... I love the idea of 2 lane analog - might get some of those cars off the shelf and onto the track.

Free shipping is US only. And you'd get a US power pack.

Power pack is irrelevant as those with variable power supplies will simply put the relevant plugs on it. Apparently it uses the same power plugs as the digital 4-car base.

Mine's on order and should be here in a week.... I love the idea of 2 lane analog - might get some of those cars off the shelf and onto the track.

Miveson, could you let us know on here what its like after a good going through. Im looking at going digi, as I dont have the space for a large routed track, and this new 6PB sounds the goods. I was looking at buying one of the sets with the 4PB, but I might just hold out and see what sort of reviews this gets from the home racers.

Clevo

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Miveson, could you let us know on here what its like after a good going through. Im looking at going digi, as I dont have the space for a large routed track, and this new 6PB sounds the goods. I was looking at buying one of the sets with the 4PB, but I might just hold out and see what sort of reviews this gets from the home racers.

I most certainly will once it arrives - knowing my luck it'll be in Australia in the next few days :lol:

The XLC takes its power from the inside track so if your racing analogue does this draw power from lane 2 or only if you activate a lane changer when running digital. The new PB has a 15v 4amp powerpack, times two, but is it still worth powering your lane changers separatly?? I have 4 XLC's plus a pit lane on a 16m track.

My XLCs seem to take their cross-over power from both sides of the track - but that they are not actually joined at the cross.

With 2 PSUs possably not - the cars take most power under acceleration, which primarily means race start and and after track call. In normal racing, where most cars are all over the track, I'd doubt all would accelerate at the same time. One caveat, you are talking about standard cars and not hot motors and/or extra magnets?

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

Sounds like power is not such a big a deal as last time, I would get the new unit and have a crack at it before making any decisions Re powering the XLC's.

Has anyone got a wiff of it at any of the Australian suppliers yet. Is a shipment inbound?

I've been down to my local slotcar guy and put an order in for one. He's a decent bloke because he wouldn't take a deposit off me for the advanced 6carPB as he knew of the 2 year wait for it and wasn't very confident Scaly could deliver on time. He said the supplier wasn't even aware it had been released yet.

Does anyone know relative delivery time frames between Australia, USA and China? If its landed in the states, when could we expect it? week, weeks, month, months? October is the official delivery date according to the wholesaler here in Perth.

I can't wait that frikkin long.... sheese.

Why not just buy one from the US and not wait?

It'll be here in a week if they have it in stock.

"S#!t Happens"

Well bit the bullet, one on the way. I hate buying stuff using the net, and I prefer to support local business's but I just couldn't wait this time. Lets hope there are no regional differences like there is in console games.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, digital lap timing, pace cars and the ability to run my analog cars on my track by the press of a button are the kickers for me. Especially that all the digital functions (apart from lane changing of course) can be applied to the analog cars.

Sounds like they've sorted the power issues for amateur slot-car users like myself. My slot cars have been sitting dormant waiting for this day.

It does seem to fix that problem of digital or analogue. I've built a new 2 lane track just for this PB so I can now do scenery as well as race 4 cars with my kids. I don't understand why there is no hype from scalextric about this, it's supposed to be their 'flagship product' they been developing for years and then when it's released ......... nothing. :bday:

It does seem to fix that problem of digital or analogue. I've built a new 2 lane track just for this PB so I can now do scenery as well as race 4 cars with my kids. I don't understand why there is no hype from scalextric about this, it's supposed to be their 'flagship product' they been developing for years and then when it's released ......... nothing. :)

Thats because its not really released yet, only the Yanks have them. (as of yesterday when I last checked). Once the Poms, Kiwis, and Aussies get on board you will see more advertising I'm sure. But you'll have to remember that Scalextric have had a number of false starts with these things so I'm not supprised that there is still a lot of hesitation surrounding the product. Particularly with the suppliers and retailers.

The only reason I felt confident to buy this thing untried is that I know the PB Pro guys had a hand in developing this unit (or at least the direction it took). I trust their efforts far more than I do Scaley's efforts. Which is sad but true. I wonder if Scaley realise the damage they have done to their own brand by releasing an inferior product in the first instance, then taking so gawdam long to fix it. This product better be reliable, and usable straight out of the box, or I won't be a happy camper.

If all this functionality comes off Scaly can thank the PB pro team for saving their credibility IMO.

... I don't understand why there is no hype from scalextric about this, it's supposed to be their 'flagship product' they been developing for years and then when it's released ......... nothing. :)

Well, if you know that Christmas is coming up, and that following a recession descretionary spending has declined (and as a consequence, the earnings of Scaley) then wouldn't prudent business process be to save marketting to be in the big buying season?

Equally, if this is aimed at the 'Expert Slotters' then why not use the free publicity generated through all the forums to start the movement of your product? Gee if I was the business, then yes, I'd do that... (premature starts not withstanding.)

Ian

I don't think the "British reserve" would let them hype it up, imagine the press response - Hornby release critical new powerbase (2 years behind schedule).... Too many opportunities to end up with egg on face.

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

I don't think the "British reserve" would let them hype it up, imagine the press response - Hornby release critical new powerbase (2 years behind schedule).... Too many opportunities to end up with egg on face.

Well boys at this point I couldn't give two hoots who advertises it or not. My Advanced 6 Car power base has arrived. 6 days from the US to my doorstep in Perth. How cool is that. Especially considering the distributers haven't got the foggiest Idea about this thing. HOw does Scaly even survive as a business? anywho

The Toyworld in Fremantle has been great, they ordered me a transformer. (and valiantly tried to get a power base) but alas..... the WWW was far quicker in end. Now lets hope this thing doesn't fry on its first outing. Because the WWW so good with warranty returns!

Won't be using it until tomorrow night, but I'll give you guys the good oil once I do. I've got a grainy picture to post up, but "insert special item" doesn't seem to think pictures are special. And I refused to create some account with a third party just to post a crappy picture. So words is all your getting boys! My apologies.

Cheers