fosinator

Ssd Routed

Right im about to start on a new track.i was going to make it a routed 3 lane but insert 2 x ssd xlc and 2 x ssd clc.To start with im going to run it analoge but when the latest ssd 6 car powerbase comes along(my local told me august,$229)ill go digital.

I know scorpius is THE way to go and i emailed some questions and rick was very helpful.Holding me back is the cost.I think eventually i will get scorpius but not this year.

Now maybe someone can correct me if im wrong which i probly am way off the mark but heres what im thinking:

1) 3 lane routed track with ssd pieces running as analogue.

2) when 6 lane digital comes out i power directly to tracks with existing powersupply (upto 15v,15amp)and powersupply that comes with powerbase runs the flippers and digital signal.

3)when i can afford scorpius i replace scalex powerbase

the more i look at no. 2 the more it seems "it cant be that easy"

any info or comments appreciated.Ive just been reading heaps on digital and i think ssd will be my best option at this stage.

i would also like to have some sort of switching system to easily convert analogue-digital and viceversa

routed + digital + analogue...just what i always wanted

Nice, I'd like to see some designs if you have any.

Everything i've read is November at the very earliest for the new PB and I wouldn't be surprised if that date got pushed out.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Are you planning to be able to run the track in both Analog and Digital modes Fos? Perhaps a 'flick of the switch' wiring jobby?

I want to expand my 'footprint' and would be going 3 lane routed but if I could switch it between the two at whim I'd consider including a digital element as many of my cars couldn't run Digitally (& the cost would be prohibitive).

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I know a bloke that has a 3 lane routed track with lane changers installed ready for some sort of digital expansion. He's run it in analouge since it was powered and not sure if he's going to bother with the digital now?

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

yeah , I know him too

he's just been slack , its coming up to 2 years since the track was completed !

yeah , I know him too

he's just been slack , its coming up to 2 years since the track was completed !

:) thought you might come along :lol::):huh:

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

John ,

I really enjoyed digtal racing with SSD , thats why I kept all the gear,all the stalling and general non interest from scalextric has detered me and I simply can't justify the $ outlay for scorpious ,I really think my track maybe to fast even with the 1 metre lane changers but I am enjoying analogue atm ,

all that and there is way to many B32 cars to tune ? :)

here is some shakey video taken on my phone , remember these are analogue non magnet cars

sax's track

Matt

Nice, I'd like to see some designs if you have any.

Everything i've read is November at the very earliest for the new PB and I wouldn't be surprised if that date got pushed out.

- Cam

Ill scan them tomorow at work

Eno: Are you planning to be able to run the track in both Analog and Digital modes Fos? Perhaps a 'flick of the switch' wiring jobby?

I want to expand my 'footprint' and would be going 3 lane routed but if I could switch it between the two at whim I'd consider including a digital element as many of my cars couldn't run Digitally (& the cost would be prohibitive).

yea a switch would be good i cant see why it wouldnt work.Im just hoping after i pay out for controllers and chips and the powerbase that i dont go"oh what a waste of money it gives me nothing but trouble"

Ive no doubt that scorpius is the superior system but 4 lane brains,4 controllers and 4 chips is outa my range.maybe next year though.SSD is still gonna cost about $600 to setup 4 cars.

right heres a rough draft of how i thought it may go.As always once ive got some mdf and a pencil things will get tweaked.Anyone got/had this style tell me what you think/thought of it.

track.jpg

I was just looking at the Scaley website about the 6 car powerbase. It seems to hint that it'll be able to be used in either digital or analog mode? If that's right it'd be pretty handy for the stuff I was daydreaming about the other day.. :o

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I was just looking at the Scaley website about the 6 car powerbase. It seems to hint that it'll be able to be used in either digital or analog mode? If that's right it'd be pretty handy for the stuff I was daydreaming about the other day.. :o

yeah the new 6 car PB does digital and analog - my question is can I use the analog side with my good controllers or do I need to buy new ones (or digital module for my slot.it)

from what I have read - it has been in the pipeline for 2 years but is still not available here...not sure if they have them in the UK yet....

DM

Hmm - I wonder if it will 'lock off' the lane swapper things if you want to use it as Analog. Do you even need to do that? I don't know much about digital it turns out. Perhaps I should start a new thread rather than kidnap this one..

na not kidnapping at all.My mate just brought up a ssd clc + digi control + chip as payment for my old track.I was thinking it would be possible to unhook all the sensors and the flipper and mount them in my new track as opposed to placing the whole piece of track in.Dunno if anyones already tried this but cheap (hopefully easy) routed in lc s.The clc are only $50 now they must have had a price drop.

On the Digi-analogue switch thing as rick told me you would have to make sure all tracks are isolated from each other because digital sends volts to all of the track. does this make sense?

Anythings possible its just how much motivation u got.Scorpius=perfect example

Edited by fosinator

well ive looked at the clc and i think its possible to just cut out the flipper including the rails and rout that into the track as well as the sensor.That way i can get a wider range of radius of corners than if i use the whole section.Ill pick up a couple more lc s tomorow tomorow plus the ferrodor and the tape arrive tomorow so hopefullyi can start on the weekend.

Ok i Butchered $150 worth of clc s but its gonna work:)

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

Just got to route those in tonite.

Jeez i watched an old but new in box 6 car powerbase go last night on ebay for $295.:huh: Those things must be rare.I can get a 4 car pb for $40 which might have to do till the latest c7042 comes out.

Jeez i watched an old but new in box 6 car powerbase go last night on ebay for $295.:huh: Those things must be rare.I can get a 4 car pb for $40 which might have to do till the latest c7042 comes out.

They do seem fairly rare in Oz, although there is a Scalextric Digital Porsche Challange with cars, controllers and track going on ebay.au for $320 used if you're really keen.

Alternately pick one up from ebay.uk and have one of the PB Pro guru's mod it. Costs less and much better fun up an running

Alternately pick one up from ebay.uk and have one of the PB Pro guru's mod it. Costs less and much better fun up an running

G,Day,

I might be a bit late here, but can you plese elaborate on the "PB Pro",

like who are they, what will we gain in doing the mods, cost if possible?

Cheers

John

"S#!t Happens"

I have picked up the job of upgrading the PB6 to PB-Pro 'down under'. I'm just assembling all the items and will shortly publish up the details.

For reference, though, a PB-Pro software upgrade (ie without the high-power Simple-H mod) will be NZ$45 excluding shipping. This includes the royalties for the PB-Pro software.

It looks like adding the Simple-H mod will add about another NZ$150 to the cost of the PB-Pro mod.

For further details on PB-Pro, take a look at http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35000

Hope that helps,

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

They do seem fairly rare in Oz, although there is a Scalextric Digital Porsche Challange with cars, controllers and track going on ebay.au for $320 used if you're really keen.

Yea just bought it couldnt help my self but $320 pretty cheap really-PB,2 x chipped cars,2 x controls

I have picked up the job of upgrading the PB6 to PB-Pro 'down under'. I'm just assembling all the items and will shortly publish up the details.

For reference, though, a PB-Pro software upgrade (ie without the high-power Simple-H mod) will be NZ$45 excluding shipping. This includes the royalties for the PB-Pro software.

It looks like adding the Simple-H mod will add about another NZ$150 to the cost of the PB-Pro mod.

For further details on PB-Pro, take a look at http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35000

Hope that helps,

Ian

Thanks Ian i shall PM you in a couple of weeks to find out more on the mods.Easy question-can i use my 15 amp dc ps that i use for analogue,can i power the track with that when i go digital or does it need ac power?

Digital uses DC, so you're good. But don't get the wires round the wrong way... ; )

I assume that the power supply has good smoothing, as you're using it for analog.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

Digital uses DC, so you're good. But don't get the wires round the wrong way... ; )

I assume that the power supply has good smoothing, as you're using it for analog.

Ian

yea real smooth on my old three laner.

couple of questions:

1)positive to which side of track or car more so

2)will the ps for the powerbase power the lane changers

Cheers in advance

also im going to add a pit lane.Im under the impression i just need a lc to get me in the pits so what do i need to register the car is in the pits?I have a spare clc i can use for the pit entry.

Edited by fosinator

Digital to track is not important - what I mean is the power into the powerbase! When it comes out of the powerbase its now digital, and connection to track is irrelevant. Cool, eh! Whats more, your cars will go forward no matter which way they are on the track. However, they must go over the lane changers and the powerbase the right way to get laps detected properly.

Lane changers get power from the track unless you modify them. However the standard powerbases have a limit as to how many LCs and cars they can run at once (due to EEC toy regulations). Upgrade to Simple-H and you can get more power to the track than that powersupply of yours can provide...!

Use a pit-lane tracks (in and out - eg C7014) to go into the lane. Use the Pit Lane Game, and get it modified to PitPro and handle both in and out of the lane, and use PB-Pro to handle it properly with, say, SSDC.

Ian