New 3 Lane Track

56 replies to this topic

#41 SLOTJOCKEY

SLOTJOCKEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Love it guys. Looking forward to catching up with you at the 12 hour Enduro.....
6 X Hawkes Bay Champion
8 X National Champion
1 X Retired

#42 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi all.

Its very close now. Had first short run late today but had problem with wiring. Have sorted out where problem is now I think (found my wiring diagram) but alterations had to wait until tomorrow as it was time to come home.

Track was also covered in fine dust from final sanding operation so car was all over the place.

Overall however a successfull day but not without the odd bit of drama. Does everybody have these little hassles?????

High points/low points

• The two track modules are now going together smoothly thanks to some final sanding and removal of other obstructions (e.g. surplus glue). Thursday they would not go together dispite considerable pushing and even clamping. My brother was even heard to say "wish we had made in one piece".
  • We found the track control modules put away so carefully after last track was dismantled after several days search. They were in a shoe box.
  • Considerable drama with wiring but tomorrow is the day or it b----- well should be (need I say more).

Photo tomorrow too if I remember to take camera.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#43 GJH-NZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Well done Paul and Chas - looks like the target for 7th Novemebr completion is going to be met! Looking forward to lots of photos.

Grant

#44 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hi all.

It might not be completely finished but we had hoped to have going before 12 Hour Enduro at Napier next weekend so today was the day.

Not the fastest build perhaps starting 21/9/2010 but we have done pretty well considering my brother's work time constraints. Still some finishing work to do on borders, have to make up control panels (using ones from old track at present) and last but not least install the timing gear.

See three photos below for more details. Some not very sharp I am afraid but they should give the general impression.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Early testing indicates lap times of 6.5 secs for Group C Slot-it but imagine 6secs may not be too far away. Track is just short of 20m long with hopefully a good mix of corners.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#45 GJH-NZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Looks stunning Paul and Chas - a great job. I'd say it was a very fast build given the size of the project plus other commitments.

Grant

#46 munter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:13 AM

Nice work LeBreton Bros.

Those pics speak many words.

I like the mix of curves and the colour is....guacamole?

The surface meets my approval as well.

A+
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#47 kennedyrd

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

Looks awesome. Ticks all the right boxes with a smooth, sprayed two pot surface and smooth sweeping corners. Look forward to the first "invitational" :)

#48 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

A belated Happy New Year to everyone.

If you think it has been a while since I added anything to this thread you will be right. We got track running of 7/11/2010 but had a break after 12 hour enduro as it was the following weekend. On top of that 2 piece and portable nature of track has caused its share of problems. We have completed permanent wiring, connectors and barriers now however so please see photos below. Not sure if we will add some scenery but if so it will certainly be minimal and removable.

Track is also running well in both directions and is quite different to drive on which is great.

Still have to install the timing gear but that is next. Have been trialling Ultimate Racer 3 at home (you will recall new track is at brother Paul's)and decided to switch from Laptimer 2000. Latter was mistiming the odd lap but UR 3 does not and it contains other features.

Posted Image
Posted Image

More soon I hope. Hope you like up-dated photo of track and one happy chappy.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#49 lu05ke

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

Very Nice Chas, IMO I would have a crack at some scenery... It might just put your track over the top ;)
I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

#50 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi all.

Think I can finally say the end is in sight.

Thanks to donation of computer and 19inch LCD monitor by one of my sons plus purchase of Trakmate system all should be up and running very shortly.

Fair to say if it were not for decision to make in two pieces but still be able to tip out of way it would probably have been finished a couple of months ago but at least we will get there in the end.

See further progress photos. The first shows the rather strong bracket I had to resort to to enable one of us to tip whole track on side so car could go in garage. Bonus with this is track hardly gets any dust on it.

Posted Image

Second is shot of track against wall.

Posted Image

Finally wiring between two modules, three driving positions and power connection. Not as neat as some I have seen recently but effectively each of the twelve lane crosses (at join) is included in loom meaning that there are the equivilant of four feeds per circuit.

Posted Image

Hope this all makes sense.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#51 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Final stage has started with Trakmate fully installed and running although only in practice mode.

I had to clean out the sensor holes as they had a few dags and have only installed an overhead halogen lamp for light source but at least it works. Brother Paul and I now need to school ourselves so we can use the full power of the system. Fluoro powered light bridge still needs to be constructed.

We did have a bit of the usual drama when I could not get computer to recognise Trakmate module but this was only related to USB cable which is apparently not a Trakmate standard. It is only configured for a parallel printer port cable. Once I woke up to fact I needed to unzip provided conversion file however and then run that first everything fell into place. Silly me thought the installation programme would do all this. Probably spoilt by likes of Microsoft who normally provide all in same package at least for basics. Advantage of course is that system will now run on all the latest computers as they do not normally come with a parallel printer port.

We have had our first session and have to admit Paul made the fastest lap of 6.029secs but I was not too far behind with 6.067. Several of our other cars were in 6.1's. Can see it is only a matter of time before we break through 6 sec barrier. I managed to tip balance with Ninco Jaguars so a little pride was restored. I did 7.135 to Paul's 7.260. I was back in the dumps later however when I could not break 6.5 secs in my old Porsche. Paul drove it and was immediately into the 6.2's so I went home with my tail between my legs. Funny though as I had previously done 6.1 something in same car. Clearly it was time for me to go. By the way Paul made me put this on AUSLOT so that might jolt me into driving with more consistancy.

More news and photos later. Track by the way is a fraction under 20 metres. 3 lane with two pot enamel finish. We run silicones as is general practice in NZ.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#52 M3Fanatic

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

I've been following this project with interest; it's come along very nicely. I'm looking forward to updated photos. Well done to both of you.

Cheers,
Jon

#53 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:25 AM

Well it had to happen. 6 sec mark has finally been broken by brother Paul on all three lanes proving again just how close they are. According to Mr. Autocad just 13mm difference.

Previous best was 6.029 with Slot-it Group C Mercedes Sauber (Paul) and 6.068 Slot-it Group C Porsche 962C (self). If I recollect these were both on blue lane.

Time trail carried out with well raced Slot-it Group C Porsche 956C just shod with new tyres, rear wheels, motor and gears.

Red lane 5.977 secs.
White lane 5.968 secs (middle lane).
Blue land 5.978 secs.

Trakmate now going well but we still need to learn how to set-up for racing. Photos promised earlier are still coming. Still also have to make light bridge but have bought fluoro tube.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#54 munter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

Looks great Charles.
The shot of the track folded up against the wall shows how much effort you guys have put into it.
regards
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#55 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

Things are happening fast.

First GT car to go under 6 secs and how.

Slot-it Nissan 5.781 on White (Middle) lane with Paul again in drivers seat (figuratively speaking).

Can see I have a lot of catching up to do but then Paul gets so much more practice. That's my excuse anyway.

We are both looking forward to second 12 hour Enduro in Wellington - this time in 1/24 metal cars - Toyota LMP's or something like that.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#56 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi all.

Just had a brief visit from one of Napier contingent. He loved the new track. Have an feeling he might be back with some of his mates some time.

Finally have Trakmate sorted and should be fully up and running PM today. Those photos are still coming.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#57 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi all.

Finally remembered to take the camera over to brother's place where track is.

A few photos of Trakmate installation follow as promised.

1. Trakmate module with black power lead to 12v wallwart, silver USB lead to computer and blue lead to lapscoring sensors.
Posted Image

2. Relay
Posted Image

3. Reset button
Posted Image

4. Lightbridge with results monitor in background. Latter is sitting on track at present but plan is to mount on wall. Light source is 300mm ultra violet fluoro tube fastened under lightbridge with velco.
Posted Image

5. Light bridge power connection (to a second 12v wallwart) and on/off control mounted on one of the controller modules. I could have wired light into track power supply but decided to keep all independent.
Posted Image

Nothing flash but it works. As track is portable (and regularly leaned against wall) all connections have to be easily disconnected.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users