New 3 Lane Track

charlesx

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

We have finally reached stage where we are ready to paint. Come the end of weekend hopefully you will all be green with envy.

Have continued to have the odd hiccup and if I have not told you before this included unintentionally gluing the two sections together. We managed to part them again however so all is well on that front. Otherwise it would have been difficult to transport something 5.4m long.

The next problem was the join between the sections. I decided my system with long tongue was flawed and likely to fail. Changed to small multiple tongues something like Chris Wong's and Syd in Perth. When we lined up however big different in levels (1-2mm) on one side. Finally noticed however it was the uneven floor so all is now well.

In hindsight have found the odd design error so I must take the blame for that. We reconciled the smaller borders than desired in a couple of places however with the conditions on actual full-size tracks. These are often quite constrainted (e.i. between substantial obstacles).

Here is the final picture prior to painting. Hopefully we are still smiling in a couple of days.

trackprogress15102010006.jpg

Regards

Chas Le Breton

PS. Paul says I have to go for a walk down the road while he spray paints so I do not make him nervous.

Another important milestone reached - not without the continued presence of the odd blue.

We elected to mask the slot for the first couple of coats then remove for last. Trick was to take the masking tape off without damaging the newly under coated surface. We got close but I will say no more. Hopefully sanding the next morning will remove blemish.

trackprogress17102010undercoatfinished.jpg

Sunday morning it was off to sand the undercoat. 30min job turned into about 2 hours but pretty good result.

Onto the paint booth and the final product takes another step forward. Again the odd problem but Paul reckons every professional needs to leave his mark. Nothing else will be said on this subject but may he attached photos speak for themselves.

trackprogress17102010manatwork.jpg

Man at work.

trackprogress17102010TaGodthatsover.jpg

Thank God that is over.

Well here is hoping you are all green with envy.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Does anybody know if you can change the name of a thread once set-up? Have tried a number of options but found none to work to date.

Would like to take the word "potential" out as track now well and truly on way. Prefer not to start new thread but that is option.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

Just to keep the thread going have been busy cutting out borders and undercoating them. Decided to have 50mm above track around the edges but only 30mm internal to aid visibility.

The ones around the outside are straight forward but the internal ones need extra care and a lot more measuring/cutting.

Just to complicate matters Paul also decided to paint them white on inside (against track) and grey on the outside. Sure it will look good but it will all take extra time.

Paul has been painting slots using squeeze bottle and an mdf former to spread evenly. Slots are going to be red, white and blue as they are easy to remember.

Also been putting some thought into braid and complication of two piece track. Think we have worked out sensible and workable solution but more on that later.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Short one on progress to 30 10 2010. Major step forward with first braid finally hitting track. Finished smaller 2.4m section today. Only 3m section to go but that should be a lot more straight forward as mainly straight or long curved sections.

Had to make some serious decisions re power connections before starting and to accommodate join as we had not really thought through very well. You will note apparent break in braid a few inches in from end of each track section. We put a 50mm long loop of braid at the point concerned after routing a slot to accommodate.

Trackprogress30102010.jpg

All going well then. Paul is talking of having going by weekend but I think he is deaming at this stage.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi.

Using 3M tape. Putting tape around tighter corners a bit trickier or perhaps more time consuming but braid itself a breeze.

Tape is very sticky but you need to make sure you get in right place first time as glue breaks easily. It is unlike normal double sided tape which has a very thin clear material with glue both sides which can be taken up and repositioned within reason (I do sail repairs on side). 3M is just a strip of glue. Probably why it is so strong.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Does anybody know if you can change the name of a thread once set-up? Have tried a number of options but found none to work to date.

Would like to take the word "potential" out as track now well and truly on way. Prefer not to start new thread but that is option.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Charlesx

I have removed the word potentia for you, great looking track and paint finish.

Regards Bo

Hi all.

Its very close now. Had first short run late today but had problem with wiring. Have sorted out where problem is now I think (found my wiring diagram) but alterations had to wait until tomorrow as it was time to come home.

Track was also covered in fine dust from final sanding operation so car was all over the place.

Overall however a successfull day but not without the odd bit of drama. Does everybody have these little hassles?????

High points/low points

• The two track modules are now going together smoothly thanks to some final sanding and removal of other obstructions (e.g. surplus glue). Thursday they would not go together dispite considerable pushing and even clamping. My brother was even heard to say "wish we had made in one piece".
  • We found the track control modules put away so carefully after last track was dismantled after several days search. They were in a shoe box.
  • Considerable drama with wiring but tomorrow is the day or it b----- well should be (need I say more).

Photo tomorrow too if I remember to take camera.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi all.

It might not be completely finished but we had hoped to have going before 12 Hour Enduro at Napier next weekend so today was the day.

Not the fastest build perhaps starting 21/9/2010 but we have done pretty well considering my brother's work time constraints. Still some finishing work to do on borders, have to make up control panels (using ones from old track at present) and last but not least install the timing gear.

See three photos below for more details. Some not very sharp I am afraid but they should give the general impression.

Track7112010001.jpg

Track7112010002.jpg

Track7112010007.jpg

Early testing indicates lap times of 6.5 secs for Group C Slot-it but imagine 6secs may not be too far away. Track is just short of 20m long with hopefully a good mix of corners.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• 2 months later...

A belated Happy New Year to everyone.

If you think it has been a while since I added anything to this thread you will be right. We got track running of 7/11/2010 but had a break after 12 hour enduro as it was the following weekend. On top of that 2 piece and portable nature of track has caused its share of problems. We have completed permanent wiring, connectors and barriers now however so please see photos below. Not sure if we will add some scenery but if so it will certainly be minimal and removable.

Track is also running well in both directions and is quite different to drive on which is great.

Still have to install the timing gear but that is next. Have been trialling Ultimate Racer 3 at home (you will recall new track is at brother Paul's)and decided to switch from Laptimer 2000. Latter was mistiming the odd lap but UR 3 does not and it contains other features.

track1212011001.jpg

track1212011004.jpg

More soon I hope. Hope you like up-dated photo of track and one happy chappy.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Very Nice Chas, IMO I would have a crack at some scenery... It might just put your track over the top ;)

I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Think I can finally say the end is in sight.

Thanks to donation of computer and 19inch LCD monitor by one of my sons plus purchase of Trakmate system all should be up and running very shortly.

Fair to say if it were not for decision to make in two pieces but still be able to tip out of way it would probably have been finished a couple of months ago but at least we will get there in the end.

See further progress photos. The first shows the rather strong bracket I had to resort to to enable one of us to tip whole track on side so car could go in garage. Bonus with this is track hardly gets any dust on it.

Trackprogress3012011.jpg

Second is shot of track against wall.

Trackprogress3012011002.jpg

Finally wiring between two modules, three driving positions and power connection. Not as neat as some I have seen recently but effectively each of the twelve lane crosses (at join) is included in loom meaning that there are the equivilant of four feeds per circuit.

Trackprogress3012011004.jpg

Hope this all makes sense.

Regards

Chas Le Breton