Tracks Out In The Cold

neil

Firstly, I'd like to say ,,"How'dy race fans".

Would like to know if any one is having trouble with copper tape or copper braid or steel braid with the track out in the cold. Like to know others experiances as to make the right decision for my own venture.

I'll explain where I'm at , so far,,,

firstly I purchased 1/43 carrera go unknowingly thinking it was the same as 1/32, seeing it wasn't AFX. I built the table to swivel vertical for when not in use. As for the track being secured to the table,I used liquid Nails,[dosent work].

secondly I went and drilled/countersink and screwed each track peice down. [it worked]. Pulled all peices down flat and firm, even with the non magnet cars I can not see the screw heads upseting the cars. perfect.

But that was mid autumn,,,

now after this cold snap I'm finding my track changing constantly,,gaps getting bigger, now rails starting to lift.

Table is kept out in carport, undercover but still in contact with wind and afternoon sunlight. I've noticed others in this forum have simular setups in storage of tracks.

I'm now thinking of going for a routed set up, though I'd like to know if using copper tape is going to give me problems with expansion/shrinkage or peeling wih the elements or any other probs I'm likely to come across with this storage.

You won't get expansion/contraction with a wooden track so it's only the tape or braid that's going to give you problems.

Everyone told me not to use tape for my track so I went with magnabraid. So far we've had a couple of nights down to zero but by winter we should be getting down to -5. The only problem I have is the MDF has slightly lifted on one piece. I'll sand it back and then make sure I fully seal the wood so no more moisture can get in.

Braid is not giving me any problems.

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

You won't get expansion/contraction with a wooden track
maybe not that noticeable with temperature changes but there will be some change due to humidity and temperature.

Paint every( I mean every) outside surface of the MDF and use braid.

I had a track in an old shed with minimal insulation and the copper drove me nuts with constant buckling up and flattening out causing breakages that needed soldering........which than led to re-taping.

There was even some bowing that happened to one section of my track frame.

regards

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

No contest, braid. Tape will lift when exposed to the elements. And liquid nails does work BUT it must be applied properly. My plastic track was put on a board with liquid nails and spent a year under the eves of my house with no problem. Can't get much closer to the elements unles it is IN the elements. :lol: Destroyed a few pieces as I pried it off the board. :D

Stu

Old racers race harder

Braid only forget tape as it will give you a headache. Just ask binga. :D:lol:

when I FINALLY build my woody, it will be braid, my scaley track is 'copper topped' and is dull, dull, dull now and will take a lot of work to strip it all off again...and it's in the garage!

I'm glad I did ask first, I have a good history of starting and not fully compleeting due to lack of knoledge and the hicups that follow. I'm definately not going to start this till after winter and there is still a hole lot more info I'd like to acuire. I guess the winter period will give me the time to look and ask.