Introducing Harbour Hill

Denney

Following on from my initial thread, the track now has a name and even a complete story.

Welcome to Harbour Hill. Situated between a lustrous harbour and Mons Angulus (meaning mountain in the corner), Harbour Hill is the location of this temporary road circuit. Intersecting two main highways, the Arterial 12 and Interstate 84, Harbour Hill is one of the few circuits with 4 river crossings. Yes, that’s right, 4!

Running along the harbour, we start on top of the Harbour Hill tunnel which runs up to the Interstate 84 via the motorway bridge and then across the new Interstate 84 suspension bridge. Upon reaching the end of the back straight, a sweeping left hander takes you into the Harbour Hill tunnel. Racing along the length of the harbour, a quick chicane runs around the officials building and we cross the old river crossing and into a tight left hander. The left hander opens out onto the Aterial 12 and runs alongside the Interstate 84. Here we cross the 4th and last river crossing. Through the chicane you enter the last tight turn and back onto the top of the Harbour Hill tunnel to start the lap again. A quick lap and fast acceleration is essential to winning on this course.

Here is an artists impression (well, a housemates impression) of what the track may look like one day. :clap:

harbour-hill.jpg

The road base has been cut-out and there is only one piece left. We ran out of MDF so this is where we got to. I bought the last piece today and laid it out. Just need to cut it out tomorrow and then we can work on supporting this thing. Once that’s done, the lane layout and routing will commence.

Edited by Denney

Yes, the lighthouse will DEFINATELY have a rotating light. I also plan on having one of those Goodyear blimps circling the roof.

I can’t believe it’s only been a week and I’m ready to start routing the layout. Most of the supports are built (thanks to my housemate) and the road bases have been joined. They were joined from beneath using 16mm screws into a piece of 9mm MDF, used as a joiner. That means I don’t have to worry about filling holes in the top or pulling screws out from above when I want to modify a piece of track (for scenery or likewise). The only exception is the couple of boards along the front straight forming the tunnel roof. They’re to much of an issue to get to from underneath.

Next thing to do though is to clean up the work area!

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

There are a couple of places for the driver stations. One is in front of the tunnel at the front and the other is at the end looking lengthways. From the front, there is a viewblock into the back left corner and from the end there is a view block into the front right corner. Both of those can be fixed by standing on a step though so, hopefully, that will fix the issues with views.

When I actually put the track up for the last time, I plan on turning the entire track a little to push the tunnel section out a bit, that should also help with the view.

I have a question though, I've been looking at colours to paint the track surface. This time round I want something that looks like an actual road surface rather than some off blue/grey mixture. Anyone have any colour names that would help with my search?

Edited by Denney

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Sorry about the lack of updates. Been busy building the track!

Anyway, the track has been routed, painted, put into place and copper taped! The wiring has been completed (for track power anyway) and most of the boards attached to the supports. We ran a few laps last night and it's a blast. There are a couple of blind spots on the track but we found that it makes you concentrate more going into and out of those areas. All three lanes seemed to be fairly even and we were able to keep up with each other. Overall, I am very impressed with how the track turned out.

Next on the todo list is screw down the table tops, solder tape over the bolt heads (tape was ripped by the bolt heads in some places), build some temporary barriers and set-up lap timing. We're having a BBQ this weekend so I want to get as much of the track running as possible.

And now, onto some photos:

The test piece (to check router, tape, paint colour, etc):

IMG_3482.jpg

Prior to routing:

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

Purpose built router base:

IMG_3483.jpg

Tape laying device:

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

Painting and routing started:

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3498.JPG

The one stuff up (last piece, last slot, last few inches!!! ARRGHH!!):

IMG_3502.JPG

Wiring the tables:

IMG_3512.JPG

Controller stations:

IMG_3510.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

Copper taped, wired up and working a treat:

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

Very very nice! Got to say I'm a big fan of the line marking you have done! NICE :)

I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

First “beta test” of the track tonight. It went well with only a few hiccups regarding the lap timing. Seems the IR emitters and receivers aren’t in alignment correctly. We also destroyed a few guides so power limiting may be required.

Anyone have any ideas how to wire up a 13.8v, 24amp power supply to limit voltage to a set level? Unfortunately, my power supply isn't variable.

After having people over, we've worked out the tiny chicane on the inside straight needs some tweaking. The two inside lanes need more of a chicane in them but other than that, the track runs fairly evenly.

Some more pics of the track up and running (with crash barriers and light bridge):

IMG_3520%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3526%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3527%20(600x800).jpg

IMG_3528%20(600x800).jpg

The light bridge is the first thing I want to get finished. The idea is to have it built as a "viewing platform" across the harbour in non-race mode. The bridge will span across the pits and onto the pit buildings on the other side.

IMG_3521%20(600x800).jpg

IMG_3522%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3523%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3529%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3530%20(800x600).jpg

After that, the Monaco style tunnel along the front needs to be built. It also functions as a support for the upper road deck, hence the urgency to get it built. I'm playing with ideas at the moment and this is my first attempt at some weathering. Obviously it needs work.

IMG_3533%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3534%20(600x800).jpg

I need to get myself some decent paint brushes and some other supplies before I try this for the proper tunnel.

The last couple of days have mostly seen the track undergo some upgrades and fixes to get it running perfectly. There are still some areas where power loss occurs but I think that’s mainly to do with the dust on the track.

First thing to be built was the monitor mount. This gets it off the chair and fixed in position. Still need to buy a longer monitor cable though.

IMG_3538%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3543%20(800x600).jpg

We noticed that lap times on the outside lane are being slowed by a section of track on the inside back straight that requires the outside lane to slow down while the other two can breeze through it. That was changed completely yesterday and was put back in tonight.

The original track section:

IMG_3551%20(600x800).jpg

The new track section ready to be re-routed. You can see the new lanes drawn in:

IMG_3564%20(600x800).jpg

And in place:

IMG_3569%20(600x800).jpg

IMG_3571%20(800x600).jpg

Also tried my hand at some air brushing for the first time in years. Still need to practise:

IMG_3560%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3561%20(600x800).jpg

Lastly, some work on the tunnel has started. I decided on some fluted dowel from Bunnings cut to fit with some 3mm MDF as the barrier. Turning out alright so far. Once I get some weathering and effects on it, it should look a million bucks. Spacing is 120mm between supports to allow hands to get in there.

IMG_3573%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_3577%20(800x600).jpg