Round 4

Terry

Well this box arrived today full of proxy cars!

Many Thanks to Hoffy for getting the cars here good and quick,gives me lots of time to have a good look at the cars and to make sure they will be as good as possible on race day.

Tonight I just got the cars out,cleaned the braids and cleaned up the tyres for a quick "shakedown" run on the track.

These times should not be taken too seriously,but it does give some idea of where the top finishers may come from.

FCC 4.184

Mannimal 4.343

Slittlehales 4.377

Newso 4.445

Anthony 4.549

DScriven 4.560

Lenny Broke 4.569

Suttle 4.570

Tazracer 4.613

MarkD 4.688

Obsidith 4.741

Sports Racer 4.758

GZMiniZ 4.770

Hoffy 4.802

DanS 4.813

Ronan 4.831

PMC356 4.995

XR8 5.447

Obviously tyres are the key here,my track is flat enamel and softish tyres are the go,tyre treatment is essential,so all cars got that,there are some tyre issues which I will PM GZ about,

I'll get back to you with something on that later on.

Terry

Edited by terry

Thanks for the update Terry. No real surprises in your shakedown. I am curious as to what tyres Newso is using as it was a good car last round but had poor grip and i think it went well on one other track (enamel?) might be a case of tyres that siuit that particular surface. I know Chris( mannimal ) and i are both running ortmans. I think they are even the same model. (Thanks for the tip Chris). I am not sure what the others are running.but as the race is now starting to take shape it would be interesting for all the builders to know what the other guys are running.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

Thanks for the update Terry. No real surprises in your shakedown. I am curious as to what tyres Newso is using as it was a good car last round but had poor grip and i think it went well on one other track (enamel?) might be a case of tyres that siuit that particular surface. I know Chris( mannimal ) and i are both running ortmans. I think they are even the same model. (Thanks for the tip Chris). I am not sure what the others are running.but as the race is now starting to take shape it would be interesting for all the builders to know what the other guys are running.

I'm running NSR(newso) ,when the car got here it was all over the shop,very taily and over a half second slower than when tested,the tyres were very very dry and powdery,I think with NSr(I know)they must have some sort of tyre treatment,not wd40 NO,NO,NO!But simply a wipe with water/dishwashing liquid solution is sufficent,straight away the car is down to its test lap times.

Most other cars have tyre issues.

I would say that 70% of the field have tyres with square edges,which means that the car will not run through the corner smoothly,it will tend to skip or possibly behave erratically.

I have put together a list of cars which,in my opinion,will benefit from a little rubbing on the edges with a emery board.

please advise if you would want me to do this for you,if you don 't thats not a problem.

The following cars :

Obsidith

Lenny Broke

Hoffy

Suttle

DanS as well as square tyres,your rear track has narrowed,but with plastic rims I'm not sure if you want me to try and fix,pls advise

Sports Racer

GZminiZ

Slittlehales

MarkD

Newso

XR8,don't know whats going on but I cannot get the body of the chassis,did you glue the body on?

I have plenty of time to get this done so don't worry about that factor,just let me know what you want me to do here.

Terry

Edited by terry

the first three cars on the initial time list are running exactly the same tyre, just different rims. I'm going to be in trouble when i run out of old ortmanns!!

Dont sweat it manimmal Ive come up with a brew that is almost as good as "the old ortmanns". Happy to sell you some at mates rates. In any case I thought you had cornered the world's supply of those old tyres. Even if you used a pair a day youd have enough to last you to 2015 :)

cheers

rick1776

HI Terry

If you think the car will benefit from a tizzy of the tyres please go ahead.

I'm running on MJK's this year, I don't have a stash of the unobtainium germanus brand :).

As to your NSR's Terry I ran them on last years car (supergrips). At one of the rounds here in Adelaide my car had no grip at all, at the end of the race I had a look at the tyres and they were covered in "marbles". MJK tyres were the popular choice for this groups members. I reckon the NSR picked up the marbles / pixie dust etc. and just skated around on them.

6 pines could be considered a MJK track as most of the south city boys run them, so your car could have suffered a similar problem as mine last year.

Regards Alan

6 pines could be considered a MJK track as most of the south city boys run them, so your car could have suffered a similar problem as mine last year.

I know Hoffy cleaned all tyres with a wet ( H2O ) sponge before the round last Friday. Not sure if he vacuumed the track, as he has done in the past to get rid of any marbles.

Normal people worry me

Glad to see my Ninco tyres have round edges and very happy with the car's initial run. Still can't figure out how I managed to put those tyres on the car instead of the intended Ortmanns though.

Edited by Antony

For the guys who asked me to do something with their tyres:

Sports Racer 4.650 (previously 4.758)

Lenny Broke 4.413(prev 4.569)

GZminiZ 4.704(prev 4.770)

Obsidith 4.477 (prev 4.741)

MarkD 4.610 (prev 4.688) PM sent

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

QUALIFYING,

1.FCC 4.053 (practice time 4.184) Barring disaster this will win

2.SLITTLEHALES 4.371(4.377)consistent

3.MANNIMAL 4.446(4.343) drives rough shakin' all over

4.LENNY BROKE 4.453(4.569) nice, can I keep this one?

5.TAZRACER 4.486(4.613) heavy as a brick,nice runner

6.NEWSO 4.507 (4.445) tyres tyres tyres!!!

7.DAVNIC 4.519 (4.560) smooth consistent

8.ANTONY 4.531 (4.549) nice driver

9.OBSIDITH 4.578 (4.741) good improver, surprising

10.SUTTLE 4.587(4.570) real smooth,little down on grunt,maybe my track is not suited to the Acura

11.RONAN 4.624 (4.831) bit taily have to concentrate more on this car when driving

12.MARK D 4.639 (4.688) not a bad car again tyres may be letting this car down

13.PMC356 4.663 (4.995) good improver

14.SPORTS RACER 4.736 (4.758) no brakes down on grunt

15.GZMINIZ 4.821 (4.770)no guts all over the shop

16.HOFFY 4.841 (4.802)gutless

17.DAN S 5.226 (4.813) Loose rear wheel(s) why oh why didn't you use alloys?

18. XR8 5.226 (5.447) mobile chicane

All set for running this round on Saturday arvo,not withstanding the dreaded lurgy which has enveloped me,Fcc's car is a cut above the rest of the field,lovely car to drive,4.00 around here is slotit front mounted mag territory so its a flyer,Mannimals car sounds terrible,skips in corners,doesn't like to turn.

Anyway we will see how raceday turns out.

Terry

yay, going again after some super fast shipping.

By all over I assume it is taily?

Yes Eric,its taily,all cars got a wipe before qualifying,so the tyres were as good as they were going to be.

On another subject,do we have a spec sheet on each car?

I'm sure it would help us all to see what is working on some cars and not on others,certainly when it comes to building a car for next years series.

Terry

Edited by terry

Hi ya Terry

Thanks for the report, nice to see the #4 car up the order for qualifying this round. can I assume that the first 3 cars are on the Gemanus Unobtainium rubber?? ;)

Good luck with the round, I'm sure your guys will enjoy the race.

Cheers Alan

ps no you can't keep it :huh:;)

Edited by lenny broke

Hi ya Terry

Thanks for the report, nice to see the #4 car up the order for qualifying this round. can I assume that the first 3 cars are on the Gemanus Unobtainium rubber?? ;)

Good luck with the round, I'm sure your guys will enjoy the race.

Cheers Alan

ps no you can't keep it :huh:;)

Yes,the 1st 3 cars are on the Germanus Unobtainablus compounds,don't know about positions 2 and 3 but FCC's car would have been quick on whatever was under it.

Its one of those cars that you have to stop yourself from playing too much with,

Last year it was Bretts F40 and Chriss' Aston,just couldn't put 'em down.

Yours is a nice plaything too,would not surprise on Saturday,very consistent.

Terry

Hey Terry,

if rules allow (without penalty) would you please check the motor and bearings are still seated and reglue if necessary? this car exploded not long prior to shipping and i expected these issues would occur. Oh well at least if this is it for it, Trevor you know your car was faster regardless...... B)

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Hey Terry,

if rules allow (without penalty) would you please check the motor and bearings are still seated and reglue if necessary? this car exploded not long prior to shipping and i expected these issues would occur. Oh well at least if this is it for it, Trevor you know your car was faster regardless...... B)

not a problem chris,I don't know if what I do to the cars is an infringement,but irrespective of whose car it is, I would want to try and fix the problem,to me,whats the point in seeing a car not working as it should without trying to get it sorted.

I'll check out your car during the day,the flu is causing me to go and have a lie down for a bit....

terry

Hey Terry,

Not an issue for me in anyway. I have never understood penalties for repairative work in a proxy anyway. I can understand if someone entered a car with super soft tyres that wore out a penalty might be in order but if a car needs some tlc thats no different from what you do between weeks in club racing anyway. ( not my decision though) As an aside when i drove it in the last round it went very nicely but it was a bit "rattly" in the front. I just put it down to the odd setup that spirit have with the front wheels moving in conjunction with the guide.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.