127 replies to this topic

#81 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:47 AM

versions on the black backled tape
The only tape that I have used is Venture tape and that works fine,BUT it dioes need to be rollered or burnished down for good contact.

#82 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Not a huge amount of progress. I'm sick of filling and vacuming. Sod it, I'm putting on a coat of paint!

I managed to get quite a lot of banking / camber on the uphil or downhill sweeper. It's 2.5 Meters deep, so should be a fast corner.
Posted Image

The tight start or exit ( dependant on direction) gives the outside lane a much longer clear traqck right around the corner.
Posted Image

A better view from the other side
Posted Image

Tried to piece together a complete view... ignore the joins.. every part of the track is smooth.. but joining the pics doesnt line up.
Posted Image

Hopefully finish the paint this week and do the copper next weekend...

Rob

#83 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Wow! you have something there....realizing a vision....nice
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#84 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Thanks John, you may recognize 3of those cars ...:P

#85 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Love that track! You've done well and should be proud. Once the power is on you may have to prepare for an Australian invasion.

Embs
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#86 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Thanks. :)

I will want the barriers and some of the landscaping done before letting anyone see it. But let's see if it works first... If it's really good i may brave letting others to have a play. :D

Actually , I must go buy some controllers. Anyone got some recommendations? Not too expensive , as its only home use.. But not total cheapies.

My son seems to want a thumb press one. ( I took him to the local club track where he watched them there)

Thanks

Rob

#87 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

View PostRoath, on Jul 26 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

Actually , I must go buy some controllers. Anyone got some recommendations? Not too expensive , as its only home use.. But not total cheapies.

My son seems to want a thumb press one. ( I took him to the local club track where he watched them there)
Was that a can I heard opening?

Does anyone other than Carrera still make thumb plunger controllers?

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#88 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

1 lane running since few hours ago. I can't get more than 2 laps before my 4 year old takes over.

Really need more grip.. but it's promising. Here's my boys and the tracks first few laps. Very slow.. I can get some nice speed up around the far corner. I'm amazed at how carefull he's being. I was expecting him to floor it and go straight off the corners.... but no, that was dads trick.

First slow laps

OK, off to get the 2nd lane going so I can have some fun too :lol: :D

#89 Eno the Wonderdog

Woof Woof and erm.. Bark

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

That's sweet Roath!
Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

#90 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Thanks ENO. Two lanes running is soo much more fun :lol:

I've found 2 cars that seem to be setup better for wood. Makes a huge difference , but I think there's heaps of room for improvement. I'll be buying new tyres and some lead. Running at 9 volts and still wheel spin halfway up the straight.

My FLY lancia is my favorite so far, but the 2nd hand merc DTM ex munter is the fastest due to better grip.

Was pretty hard to get my boy to bed.... Auughh come on dad, 3 more laps. The main problem was that dad having as much fun ( probably more) , so was agreeing. 1 very tired boy went to bed 1.5 Hours late with a contoller in his hands..hehe

#91 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

Shaping up to be a really sweet track Roath.

I think you'll hear much more 'But Daaaaaad, just a bit longer' from him in future. Strangely enough, I think Mrs Roath will be hearing something similar from you. :lol:

Posted Image

#92 bandit

King of my castle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

So you went to bed 1.5 hours late with a controller in your hand and the little bloke stayed up and played eh. :lol:

#93 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:25 AM

you may recognize 3of those cars
I didn't

but the 2nd hand merc DTM ex munter
never owned that car

Hey Roath, you may have me confused with Mark ie slotsNZ.

......keep the dream alive and race on

regards
John Warren

#94 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

Doh, sorry, the auction was from Hastings and the track looked like yours! I missed the initial auction and bought off the guy who resold them

Bought off the next guy

#95 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

Haven't got the 3rd slot copper on yet. Far too much fun being had.

At first I was worried about the grip and the track being too slow, but I'm happy with both now. With better tyres and some sanding of the tyres the cars are hooking up well, but with the ability to slide around all corners. Get the timing of the slide right and it lasts the whole corner and sets the car up nicey. I'm really shocked at how much real racing techniques apply. ( Ive done a bit of racing / rally etc)

Swapping the direction and coming down the big sweeper after the downhill straight takes ages to master and I think I have nailed it only a few times in the hundreds. I normally brake at the start of the sweeper and drive through the corner witha slide to set up for the next tight corner. Trying to keep the speed up from the striaght makes the squeezed tight corner at the end really hard to break for without rolling.

So as you can tell, I'm kinda hooked.

Manged to gather most of the bits for the scenary and tried moking up the sqeeze. This is going to be a narrow road going across a cliff race. Trying to get the right look. I think I wil need to bring the cliff face below the road to complete the look.

These are just rough mock ups. But gives the idea.

Posted Image
You can see wobles in the routing I was worried about, I didn't need to be. Dont notice them anywhere.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looking forward ti the scenery part.. just got to stay focussed and stop doing laps :P

#96 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

View Postbandit, on Aug 8 2010, 10:59 PM, said:

So you went to bed 1.5 hours late with a controller in your hand and the little bloke stayed up and played eh. :P

I missed this the first time.. Yeah , you got me. "no honey, Its my slot car contoller" ... Hehe :unsure:

#97 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

The cliffs look great but what am pleased to see is the gloss surface...good choice mate.

regards
John Warren

#98 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Looking great Roth. Cliffs look good.

Why does scenic progress always slow down once the power is on? ;)

Posted Image

#99 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Looking good. Like the rock faces. Just a suggestion though rock edges might look better if a bit more chiselled. If it looks like your prototype however please ignore my suggestion. Look forward to more progress photos.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#100 Roath

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

Ok , I take it all back. I obviously don't have a clue. I put some marine crc on my car tyres and ran them on sand paper. Omfg! Now i see how fast these cars can be. No more sliding , just flat out speed. Air going over the back straight hill and some terrible offs when you do loose it.

I think it is more 'fun' with a bit of slide , but the mega grip blur type speed is pretty exciting. I can't believe how fast the cars while go around the windy sections...

I'm glad I got variable voltage on each lane... I think I'll drop to 9 volts for a while.. B)

I feel a few hundred laps of practice is required tonight :purplebounce:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users