Ozrally Proxy Series - The Future

smallnails

Edit from LB

As the discussion in The End thread has swung to next year It's probably a good idea to start a new thread for futre series. so ere' itis'

I've moved the relevent posts from the end thread to here to kick things off

Alan

Quote from Gazza:

Thanks lenny ..... been out of action for a while ..... good to see mine finish in the top five

Might have to try a different class next year?

Lol.........was waiting until someone brought up the "great class debate"!

Personally I think we should go for the later models again, Subies, lancers, Peugeots, citroens and the like!

Edited by gazza

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

Personally I think we should go for the later models again, Subies, lancers, Peugeots, citroens and the like!

I'm not saying anything ..... last time i suggested a class i had strips torn off me by all the people that don't enter proxy rallies

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Thanks lenny ..... been out of action for a while ..... good to see mine finish in the top five

Good to see you back on deck Garry.

I've been thinking about next year and throwing a few different things around. I not sure if we need a differnt class yet, but maybe a tightening of the definition of a classic car and a reduction of the time frame, maybe up to 1980.

Alan

Could limit the overall width,so that the whole field is narrow cars.

last time i suggested a class i had strips torn off me

What do you expect with that class, only the guys in Spain race them. :o

God forbid we show any adventurous spirit over here

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I'm not saying anything ..... last time i suggested a class i had strips torn off me by all the people that don't enter proxy rallies

I enter cars :o

Good to see you back on deck Garry.

I've been thinking about next year and throwing a few different things around. I not sure if we need a differnt class yet, but maybe a tightening of the definition of a classic car and a reduction of the time frame, maybe up to 1980.

Alan

Think you are on the money Alan. A change is always good but running at least two years in a row allows people to put some of their learnings into practice. Devious seems keen to run the same/similar again.

We possibly need a different thread re this but food for thought we could have 2 classes. 1. Restricted mods (eg: motor & tyres only) & 2. Any modification within the basic definition except for widths etc.

Thanks agin Alan

Mel

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Hi All

First off I'm happy to run the series again, but my motor race marshalling commitments in sept and march mean that I will be away a number of times during the run of the series. What I propose is that Hoffy and Triggy will assist in the day to day running of the series while I'm away. We'll also have the advisory group of 'eminent persons" to advise on any isues as need be.

As for next year, my thoughts are that we continue with the classic theme but close up the time frame to the end 1980 ( pre group A & B era) with a maximum overall width of something like 55 mm. I know this will exclude some cars but my fear is if we don't do this we will finish up with a field dominated by one model. you know which one I mean. my aim is to get as diversified a feild of cars as possible this year.

By reducing the time frame this year it also gives us a another era to run in future years ie; start of the group A & B era to the end of the group A era (1997?). Then back to the WRC era for the following couple of years.

Gazza I don't think anyone "tore strips off you" It was just that your choice wasn't popular with the rest of us.

anyway thats my 2 peso's worth.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

I think no matter what class we run there should limited in years to make it fair

i do like the idea of pre 1980 rally cars or even group 4 rally cars only as there is a heap of different makes of cars and company's that make them

ditto. My Alitalia Fiat wants to be pimped :lol:

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

As for next year, my thoughts are that we continue with the classic theme but close up the time frame to the end 1980 ( pre group A & B era) with a maximum overall width of something like 55 mm. I know this will exclude some cars but my fear is if we don't do this we will finish up with a field dominated by one model. you know which one I mean. my aim is to get as diversified a feild of cars as possible this year.

Sounds good to me. Its the same, but different :lol:

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

............ I seriously need to swat up on "farmer's cars", but would be keen to enter this event next time around.

And a question in all seriousness.

If I built myself a simple rally track using my mix of Ninco and SCX off-road and snow track parts (I have about 50 feet of them lying about in boxes); would these give a reasonable test-bed for tuning cars?

Would I need to paint/glue grit, grub, flock or slime on/add other obstables to the track to make a decent test situation?

Just thinking, it would give myself, munter if he re-enters, and any other local lads SOMETHING to test "muddies" on for the event.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I agree with Alan about limiting the era. Yes we all know that the Fly Porsche is THE CAR to beat. It would be a shame to have a field of them!

Gazza: I was one who complained, don't take it personally,it just that many of us just don't like "TRUCKS" , sorry.

We are into this early enough to sort and measure many cars that might fit the era.

It would be nice to run similar cars again,so we can put into practice what we have learned this year.

I am always available to assist with results and pic posting as well.

We are into this early enough to sort and measure many cars that might fit the era.

It would be nice to run similar cars again,so we can put into practice what we have learned this year.

I am always available to assist with results and pic posting as well.

yeah a bit too early for me to be honest :lol: Let me have a bit of a break and I'll get things happening again in a month or so.

please keep dicussing stuff but don't take it for granted that something discussed will be in the mix for next series.

Phil your input is always welcome, wanna be an "emminent person" again????

Cheers Alan

so we can put into practice what we have learned this year.

Well I learned that I entered the wrong spec car for winning the event.I noticed some comments said my car was tippy.Guess it found grip.

Thanks again guys for a great event.

This was a great set of rounds, inspite of a few minor issues and the race concluded well.

I suppose my car just arrives in the mail sometime.

Where can I easily find the specs on the top five cars?

regards

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

If I built myself a simple rally track using my mix of Ninco and SCX off-road and snow track parts (I have about 50 feet of them lying about in boxes); would these give a reasonable test-bed for tuning cars?

Would I need to paint/glue grit, grub, flock or slime on/add other obstables to the track to make a decent test situation?

Just thinking, it would give myself, munter if he re-enters, and any other local lads SOMETHING to test "muddies" on for the event.

A quick wipe over with GP Thinners then prime with Zinsser B-I-N then apply 1 coat of Dulux Suede (available in 250ml sample pots) all from Bunnings up at sulphur city. Plenty of R1 curves :P

Rout a good one and being part of Australia you could nominte your track for the next proxy. :)

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

I agree with Alan about limiting the era. Yes we all know that the Fly Porsche is THE CAR to beat. It would be a shame to have a field of them!

Totally agree with limiting the era. The Healey I entered this year had it's origins in 1959 and was competing in this series against some car designs 35 years younger, wider and lower. However while there will always be an obvious winning choice of car in any group I would also hope there will be enough people out there with the gumption to throw in cars that will add to the spice of the field, is it really all about winning?. I guess this now harks back across to the NZ Proxy thread about why people enter proxies, as a kid one of my favourite books was "Speed Six" by Bruce Carter where a Speed Six Le Mans Bentley from 1930 was entered once again into Le mans in the 1950s and against the technologically charged, apparently unbeatable, cars of the day it somehow won . For me these series are about the fun of choosing, building and entering, preferably with something a little bit less obvious. But hey I'll enter come what may.....

TBH, I have enjoyed the rally proxy more so then I did the last few previous Down Under Proxy (GZmini, this is not an indication on this years event. That seems to be smooth so far, fingers crossed). Why? Because things such as u'beaut motors and gumball tyres have been basically negated.

Anyhow, If the powers to be decide so, I am more then happy to be involved with Lenny and Triggy to help the series along.

Cheers

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

I still support your idea. The real race is the greatest motorsport adventure left on earth.

• 1 month later...

gday proxy ralliers :)

I was wondering what limitations are placed on potential tracks used for rounds?

I assume there would be a preferred voltage? and a computer aided trimming system would be mandatory?safety barrier to protect cars?

are there any other track requirements for consideration?

The Rally proxy race was originally intended for tracks that were too small and tight for the DUPR cars.

Most of the tracks now are purpose built one or two lane rally tracks with tight corners. Good timing gear is a priority as the races are run over fixed laps with the stage times being recorded to 1/100 .

Check last years tracks to get a good idea of the type of tracks.

For those (like me) who didn't make the podium this year or got upset over the odd DNF or broken/dislodged part bare a thought for these blokes. Some great footage as well.

Dale , if I put my track up for proxy ,Im hoping that nobody is going to tell me what voltage Im going to run as what is good for one track naturally isnt the same for every other track put up. Most of the tracks will have barriers anyway and care is taken when you have someone elses cars :D . Timing is a crucial point .Most of us are running SRM or Utimate racer. Maybe if your a newby puting your track for the first time you should tell every body the set up with the layout and timing. You have to have a good timing set up.

We will have to watch what is run if the older cars are chosen as some of you may have seen with the SCX proxy ,it really should have been called the SCX Rally Targa due to some of the cars entered. So if its a rally ,keep it Rally cars and if it's Targa so be it .The other thing is if you put your track up there's is only one driver ,the owner ,there can be as many marshalls as you want but the owner is the person who knows the track the best. I know its a long day if not 2 days but as I stated the owner is the person who put his track up so he or she (just being politically correct) must do the driving.

I feel that the way every body is going WRC has run its course or maybe it was just a one horse race. I'm not worried what we run as long as we keep the Rally side of racing going. Tyres and motors I believe is up to the individual as there is enough info from previous rallies now to set up a car. Lets watch the width of the tyres ,if there straight from manufacturer and we know that you can bet that they will be a bit over but it doesnt look like a F1 car let it go. Lets not forget that a lot of the purpose built rally tracks like mine ,Mels and Gazza's (plenty of trees ,rocks,narrow sections) will only catch out those who dare to go over board.

I enjoyed doing the the last Rally Proxy as well as the SCX Rally Proxy. I enjoy seeing every ones setups and cars chosen. Its also interesting to see what works on my track and what doesnt. Mel ,love the vid,not bad for a sick bloke :P . Do this from your bed side while poor Janette is slaving over you :) .

Cheers Craig

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.