Sign in to follow this  
slotbaker

Monogram Daytona Cobra

Has anyone got any suggestions on tuning the Mono Daytona to handle?

I've got one of these rolly polly things, and it's ok in the straight, but a bit of a dud in the bendy bits.

I'm using it on a non-magent track, which could be part of the problem, but I think it could be made to handle better than it does.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car, it just don't handle to my liking.

It could be my driving that needs a bit more tuning as well.

;)

Steve K.

Try this link from HRW.

It wasn't the first time I've read that either removing the spare wheel or cutting it down can really help so it might solve the problem.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Another way would be the same trick we use on our Ninco classics. Get some flat lead and glue or silicone to the underside of the car.

You can test first by using blue tac to stick it to the bottom in various positions until you are happy with the result. You may have to rough the surface of the lead if it does'nt stick at first.

It really transforms the cars handling.

Thanks guys.

It runs smoothly straight out of the box, but it's just a bit tippy in the corners.

I'm leaning towards the purist side, and a bit reluctant to cut any holes in the interior, but taking the wheel out all together would make it more drivable, and it's a reversible mod if desired.

Sticking some lead down low is on the cards as well.

Thanks again.

:(

Steve K.

I have started to set up my Cobra for routed tracks. First thing was to cut away the webbing around where the chassis sits in the body to lower the body about 1mm and allow a bit of movement. The chassis was also cut away arounf the inner gaurds by the same amount for the same reason. The ribs on the inteior at the rear were removed. All this allowed the body to sit lowre by about 1mm and it also allowed the chassis to "Float" a little. I then sanded the bottom of the interior as thin as possible so that sheet lead could be put under the interior.I now have a reasonable handling Cobra that still looks standard. Next is to remove the spare wheel and lighten it as much as possible. I also chaged the motor pinion for a 9 tooth.

I will keep you informed as thing progress. I want to make this car comparible with the Ninco's.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg