Sign in to follow this  
robbieracer

1/24 Drag Car

Hello i am just new to this exciting sport and i need some help on how to build motors and what the rules and regulations are for 1/24 scale drag racing ive been to a few web site and have found some usefull info but need some more help if any one knows anything i would be really interested to learn about it. Thanks heaps

Robbie Racer

hey mate good to see some new people to the hobby this link is to the slot forum site and its contains a variety of info but this link will take you straight to the drag slot classes and ask in the drag category on more. bare in mind that this is a world wide forum and that the classes will vary her in oz slightly and the regs will be slightly different. any futher questions ask and i can see what i can do

SLOT FORUM PORTAL

SLOT FORUM DRAG CLASSES

cheers grand

Thank you very much for that i just would like to know where u can get diagrams on how to build engines like because ive pulled mine apard its a 16D and there are these 2 u shaped bits that hold the magnets away from the armature but i have no idea how to get them back in lol ive tried so many ways but have no idea and i cant find any diagrams showing me which way to put them in.

Thank you very much for that i just would like to know where u can get diagrams on how to build engines like because ive pulled mine apard its a 16D and there are these 2 u shaped bits that hold the magnets away from the armature but i have no idea how to get them back in lol ive tried so many ways but have no idea and i cant find any diagrams showing me which way to put them in.

sorry cant help with that one u would be better off buying a new engine around $20

Robbieracer, Paul "Plucka" on this forum is the man to talk to about drag slots.

Hey Plucka, this one is right up your alley.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

Right! lol

This stuff i know inside out, upside down, backwards and forwards

those clips are a bugger to get back in but they will go in, you just need to "convince" them back in.

If you bend them you can wrap masking tape around your armature and then place the magnets back in until they hit the stop towards the can bearing/oilit end and use superglue to hold them into place.

Now as for a supergas motor, that all depends on the kind of car you have and how heavy it is.

We have run lexan body cars with speed fx motors without a problem and they can actually be too quick for the class (we have a couple here in Sydney that run .93 to .95s.

Now if you have a model kit (hard body) then because they weight a little more you can run a worked Super 16D motor or a mild group 12 motor (mild as in simple circuit group 12 as the drag ones will be miles too fast).

You need to consider the tyre size (width and height) and what axle diameter and what gear ratio your running as to what motor you will run.

Do you race at Mobile?

Hope this helps.

Any other questions post away.

Ill see if i can take photos and post up regarding the motors.

Plucka

Thanks for the quick reply Plucka.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

wow um thanks heaps plucka that helps heaps um i was thinking of building a car from scratch what do u think the best chasie is to use and i would like to run a lexan body as i have one at home of my dads real suger gas car its a mazda rx7 series 4. um i have a couple 16D spare motors as i already have a couple circut cars but i am unsure of what axle size and what width of tyres i need. what size gears that i would need for super gas. Im going to go down to mobile hopefully next tuesday cuz thats the day i have off.

I really appreciate your help thank you

Ok to fit the Mazda body you will need to use a WRP or JDS.

The sidewinder WRP is a good chassis for what you are planning to do.

3/32 stuff is the best way to go about it as its less rolling resistance on the car.

The 16d may be a little slow if it is only a 16D, you will need a super 16d at least.

a set of .300 wide tyres are all you need at well (the bigger tyres look good but hurt cars performance and consistancy).

If running a super 16d a 12tooth pinion and 56tooth gear would be a good place to start.

If you can get down on a friday that is their race nights and talk to a Tony (short guy, turns up late, tell him plucka said hi lol)

Mobile should have most of the stuff except possibly the chassis.

We build, paint and race drag slot cars (its my chosen sport).

I can post some pics of cars or like i said, talk to a few of the racers on Friday and they can tell you if my work is good or not.