Race Line

glengtl1

Just wanted to get a feel for opinions out there and ideas .

The only form of race line change i have used is the scaley in to out lane change which although a good idea is limited in terms of track design ,So alot of us yearn for actual racing lines which will be possible with Scorpius but im wondering does it actually make that much of a difference to lap times or is more related to the car and its set up,and or the driver. does it work better with more than two lanes ?

cheers

Glen

Edited by glengtl1

www.gtlslotcaraccessories.com

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to get a feel for opinions out there and ideas .

The only form of race line change i have used is the scaley in to out lane change which although a good idea is limited in terms of track design ,So alot of us yearn for actual racing lines which will be possible with Scorpius but im wondering does it actually make that much of a difference to lap times or is more related to the car and its set up,and or the driver. does it work better with more than two lanes ?

cheers

Glen

It will certainly make a difference to lap times which is why you would go with the timber option and scorpius.

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

I believe Rick is edging ever closer to D day but race line is not as i see it the big bonus with Scorpius but my question was a little ahead of time i guess but im not sure if on a slot car track you can obtain a real advantage as the inside lane will always be the fastest way around the

track.Obviously the mathematics say relating back to 1/1 racing it should provide and advantage but i am dubvious as to once scaled down that the amount of braking for the inside lane as opposed to the outside lane is really not that much different which still makes the inside lane

quicker. As with most things everyone has a different view and i was just inerested to see others thoughts.

Cheers

Glen

glengtl1,

I have rarely found that the inside lane is the fastest. I think this is a bit of a common misconception. Particularly on my track (4 lane), the inside lane is what everyone avoids due to the R1 turns. Which is why I think it is funny analogue guys worry about equal lane lengths.

It depends really on where the corner is and what it leads in to. For example, if a sharpish corner has a long straight after it, you are most likely to get the better run by being in the outside lane so you can achieve as smooth (and fast) an exit as possible. This is basically what the advantage of having the best racing line. Slot cars still run on the same theory as 1:1, in that the straightest line (usually outer radii) provides the fastest way around the track

Dave

glengtl1,

I have rarely found that the inside lane is the fastest. I think this is a bit of a common misconception. Particularly on my track (4 lane), the inside lane is what everyone avoids due to the R1 turns. Which is why I think it is funny analogue guys worry about equal lane lengths.

It depends really on where the corner is and what it leads in to. For example, if a sharpish corner has a long straight after it, you are most likely to get the better run by being in the outside lane so you can achieve as smooth (and fast) an exit as possible. This is basically what the advantage of having the best racing line. Slot cars still run on the same theory as 1:1, in that the straightest line (usually outer radii) provides the fastest way around the track

Dave

Thats possibly so if you are racing on two lanes but with multipul lanes its normally the middle lanes that are the fastest, thats why when building a track its a good idea to put in a bridge or at least try and make all lanes even.

Bill

Hi Guys,

Most of the info is on the other forum. Scorpius development for the best part is complete and fully operational. In final stages of testing before production, you can never do too much testing. Put it this way, the factory in Malaysia has all the parts in from the States and the production run has been fully paid for in advance. Stay tuned.

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Sounds great Rick...Staying tuned like never before!

Bill - agreed about middle lanes...the fastest way around my four lane track is second from the outside....with inside lane about 1 second slower due to all those R1s

Dave

I agree with not worrying about lane length to much with digi as i think its up to the driver to get the car in the lane that gives the fastest and easiest way around the track , My main reason for asking is if put into my track it will amount to a tidy some of lcs and lane brains and a

a fair old wack of time which is not a dramma if the benfit in racing is a noticeable one .

cheers

Glen

Edited by glengtl1

Check out Cambers track plans. Its a best line track but best line is not on every opportunity, this allowing more passing and less hardware/assembly time.

Cheers Rick i have seen Cambers track and it is going to be a top track to race on . I will have to work out where i really need overtaking points and where i could do with out them,trust me to be such a podantic old bugger. I have already ordered 8 or 9 lane brains / cant remember so i will have to see how we go with them.

As its a street race track it really is not such a flowing track as Cambers ,so it really lends itself to have a thorough best/raceline should be able to tweek it when i drop the routed sections in i think.

It depends on the size of the track too. Smaller means less time between LCs, so a semi best line track might work out better.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

More is better !Been Thinking over a coffee and it should work out no drammas ,As im still using plastic track it clouds your mind

a little as to the freedom you get when you use a router

Im pretty sure i can control two flippers with one brain if i remeber from other posts.

Cheers Glen

• 4 weeks later...

I've finished with the slots on my track and have spent about a week thinking of where to put the lane change slots, I've tried to position them to not give any lane a advantage but to use as a device to overtake, I'll think about it a bit more and once I test and find a lane has a advantage through a section and if is the inside lane then I'll most likely give the outside lane a wall or fence to support that cars lane....still thinking, didn't think this would be the hardest part of building a track.

Im pretty sure i can control two flippers with one brain if i remember from other posts.

Cheers Glen

Correct 2 flippers. So in a best line type track (single lanechangers) you enough electronics leftover to have a bi-directional track, by creating a flipper mechanism and solenoid at the exit, you can race the opposite direction, ie the exit flipper becomes the entry and vice versa. The result is the exit flipper also moves for you, and polarises + or - accordingly. No dead spots in the exit area, and race the track both ways without swapping track polarity.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys .

Good to be back into slot cars, in the process of building a new track i hoped to achieve a racing line which i think i have but as usual i would make some changes to increase the race line using lane changes

I one thing i would have liked to do is make the 4 lane back to 2 lane section enter from the opposite side of the track making the lane changers at the top of the hill an addvantage

One thing i did achieve though is if you hold the lane change button you end up off line for 3/4 of a lap

Good to read up about scorpius system ive always wanted to do a routered track and it sounds sensational haven't found anything on flippers yet what would you make them from or would you have to use scalex or similar. Very exciting stuff anyway.

tried to post some pics on the track page with no luck and little skill with a pc so hopefully the link works

http://www.youtube.com/user/wooduck1

Dave