Vacuum Molding Cars

-=OffTheRicta=-

Howdy,

I would like to vacuum mold some of my own cars.

I can make a vacuum chamber no worries, but I wanted to know a few other things like... what thickness and type plastic sheets should I be looking for.

And how warm/hot should I make it before I place over and vacuum?

Best way to warm sheets?

I am wanting to biuld cars from my sons matchbox collection.

Most of them appear to be a very good size for HO.

Am I dreaming? Is this something many have tried and few succeeded?

Cheers.

A small toaster oven makes a great heat souce for what you want to do.

A small vac box can be made from wood OR electronics project box (die cast) can be used with some holes drilled into the top.

The Matchbox cars will need some filling in around the wheels so the plastic will not be draw into this area.

A good souce of Clear plastic is from binder covers.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Phil is correct.

Many years ago whilst involved in making RC Lexan Bodies and Other Pieces, we looked at a praticular and Very expensive, BUT Fantastic German machine.

From My experience, Making smaller Single Bodies/parts from Lexan should Not be Too difficult. When the Object gets Bigger (large sheet size), Heating IS a problem.

Unlike other materials, like Styrene and PET , as examples, Lexan, has a Very small window of 'Plasticity' and requires a higher temperature to acheive this State.

We ended up installing Ceramic heaters in Our somewhat Crude machine.

PVC, PET etc, were Far easier to Pull than Lexan, so acheiving Good EVEN Heat IS Desirable!

We Also found that keeping the Lexan Sheets Free of Moisture in Storage was also Very desirable, along with 'Pre-Heating' of the sheets, as it Avoided 'Micro Bubbles forming In the material and Well Prepped Sheets Made Great 'Pulls' and were Very Clear and Crisp.

Moist sheets were Less 'Clear'

We made a simple Cabinet that let us place sheets flat, with a Fan Heater keeping the Box WARM.

Be prepared to have quite a few 'Errors' !!,..lol,..Damn satisfying when you Do 'Get it Right' though !!

:)