Best Tracks We've Raced Or Driven On

Guest jazzbell

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shane

Here's is a drawing of a favourite track I raced on back in the late 70's. I don't think there are any actual pictures of this track in existence.

It was 8 lane 234 feet per lap with steeply banked corner up the left end of the circuit

The fastest group 12 powered womps would lap in the high 7's - low 8 seconds and from a vague memory group 7 open cars were in the mid 3's to low 4 second mark. It was made from particle board with gloss finish in purple with orange fencing very 70's in style. It was designed and built by Kym Axton in 1977 for then AMR owner Len DeBrenni. Unfortunately it was dismantled using a chainsaw when the last owner had to vacate the building it was in.

I think its now under Mt Wingfield :)

AMRlayoutdrwng.jpg

Cheers Alan

Was that the track that used to be upstairs in the Ilford Building at the Southern end of Morphett St in the city? If so, that's the first 'real' track I cut my teeth on and ended up with a G12 Wompy. Still have the remains of it here somewhere...

Always wondered what happened to that track. The rumour at the time was it went interstate.

Tim

Don't listen to what I'm saying... just understand what I mean.

Was that the track that used to be upstairs in the Ilford Building at the Southern end of Morphett St in the city? If so, that's the first 'real' track I cut my teeth on and ended up with a G12 Wompy. Still have the remains of it here somewhere...

Always wondered what happened to that track. The rumour at the time was it went interstate.

Tim

Hi Tim

yep thats it though it was Pulteney street almost opposite the Earl of Aberdeen , now the Coopers Ale House

It went to the dump, at least that's what Len told me a couple of years ago. That drawing is a scan from an original plan that Len sent me a while back

I've got plans to make a 4 lane replica of this track this year, though it will be a lot shorter and tighter than the original. about 1/3 the size

I too still have my old womp (or clubman as the class was renamed) In fact I drag it out now and again when some of the southcity boys have a Monaro Cup night. Now plafit fox powered for the smaller tracks we race on.

BRK1234 and Suttle raced then too, we're all southcity racers now .

I've also still got the SACDA championship points score book at home from 1979, I'll have a look see if I can spot your name in it.

Nice to see some of us are still active in the hobby.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Guy's

Lets get some imput on the best tracks we've all driven on.Would be good to see the difference on people's

choice of tracks.

My choice of tracks, is our track at thunderbird,followed by extreme trax in NSW,then the tracks at mobile raceways VIC.

I like em big and fast :)

Have'nt driven on home tracks,so let me hear about them.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

We've got a few good ones over here , home tracks built like shop ones

lets see some Perth photo's

regards shane a

team thunderbird

They're all posted on the track website on this Forom under W.A. Tracks

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Hi Tim

yep thats it though it was Pulteney street almost opposite the Earl of Aberdeen , now the Coopers Ale House

It went to the dump, at least that's what Len told me a couple of years ago.

I too still have my old womp (or clubman as the class was renamed) In fact I drag it out now and again when some of the southcity boys have a Monaro Cup night. Now plafit fox powered for the smaller tracks we race on.

BRK1234 and Suttle raced then too, we're all southcity racers.

I've got plans to make a 4 lane replica of this track this year, though it will be a lot shorter and tighter than the original. about 1/3 the size

I've also still got the SACDA championship points score book at home from 1979, I'll have a look see if I can spot your name in it.

Nice to see some of us are still active in the hobby.

Cheers Alan

Cheers Alan

Cheers Alan,

Yes, Pulteney St... that's the one. Building became Muirden Business College (or something like that) later. Not sure if you'll see my name in the '79 points... maybe tho. But I recon Neil or Trevor Jones might be. Trevor used my car a fair bit for a while at one stage around that time when I had bugger all money to race, but my car still left his for dead :)

Shame about that track. It was damn fast along the back and into the bank. Did myself some damage there :) Have never seen a photo of it either, and that drawing is the fist time I have been sure of the layout in recent years.

My mate Paul W races with you guys at Southcity... I might have helped influence him in getting back into slot cars by showing him my flexi's

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Twinturbo440

Hi Again Tim

Yep I know Paul, Paulslots on here. If you raced flexis would you be Tim S who raced at Redline Raceway in the nineties?

sorry if I've hijacked the thread a bit Shane but its amazing how small the degree's of seperation are here in ol' sleepy hollow.

Alan

Hard to beat the small layout at Hornsby.

Terry

You've never been to the Pretzel, have you? Even against all the commercials (and I REALLY like fast, un-controllable bullets) The Pretzel would have to take the cake. After that, the purple mile at Ultimo and Gazza's rally track are equal second.

Edited by slots

Stu

Old racers race harder

Hi Again Tim

Yep I know Paul, Paulslots on here. If you raced flexis would you be Tim S who raced at Redline Raceway in the nineties?

sorry if I've hijacked the thread a bit Shane but its amazing how small the degree's of seperation are here in ol' sleepy hollow.

Alan

Tim S

did you wing G15 at the 1993 or 4 adam miller?

i hope all of your racing is enjoyed

slot on!

:)

www.slotcaraustralia.com

Guest jazzbell
Hi Again Tim

Alan

Alan,

Dos'nt matter about the hijack.

It's been a great response in the 24 hours since the thread was started.Even with the degree of seperation.

I was only a little fella in the times you were talking about.Anyway ,a bit of Adelaide history for me :)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Hi Again Tim

Alan

Tim S

did you wing G15 at the 1993 or 4 adam miller?

No... I'm not Tim S, I'm Tim I. I didn't really do much of note back then. I was just a little fella, but had a lot of fun. I started building a flexi but never finished and ran it. It was an expensive hobby as a school kid... then started work and got into the 1:1s. These flexis I have now are reasonably recent additions, picked up in the last 3 or 4 years when my kids got interested.

I never raced at Redline either. The week I finally called in there was the week afte it closed :) Where is that king now? Last I heard from Bob C about 4 years ago it was in storage and they were going to give it to someone who had the space to set it up.

Tim

Guest jazzbell

I never raced at Redline either. The week I finally called in there was the week afte it closed :D Where is that king now? Last I heard from Bob C about 4 years ago it was in storage and they were going to give it to someone who had the space to set it up.

Tim

Tim,

The blue King is in storage in a container at thunderbird race way.Just waiting for a big new

place to car home.I'ts just to big for our location.

0n day i hope the beast will be unleashed :)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

"The snake" looks like a track I would enjoy,thanks

Would you believe that it is sitting in pieces in a garage because there is nowhere to set it up!

What a waste! :) When I last saw it, it was sitting at XLR8 Raceways in Bibra Lake, but when they closed down, the three big tracks they had went onto eBay, and Bill wanted to buy the Snake, but ended up being outside his budget.

Cheers

Richard

the king is in a container behind thunderbirds last i heard

What the Redline Raceway track used to look like, about 2001.

Looking down the main straight, with two cars on the finger (the blurred objects ;))

RedlineRaceway.jpg

The OPENS (Group 7) single lap record was 1.8 seconds a laps, when the track closed.

Internationally, they are now down to 1.4 second laps.

Regards,

Dennis

The blue King is in storage in a container at thunderbird race way.Just waiting for a big new

place to car home.I'ts just to big for our location.

0ne day i hope the beast will be unleashed ;)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Shane, you will like driving on the king. :D

If and when you guys start putting it back together, I would love to help.

I was there when it was originally built, and my main task was to get it wired.

I was also there when Bob C and a few others took it apart. ;)

I hope it does get put back together, as it was a good track.

Dennis

Sorry, but I seem to be hogging this topic at the moment.

Anyway, here is a track that I run 1/24th SCALE cars on.

BillH.jpg

The owner has a SCALE meeting every November, where we race vintage 1/24 cars.

The cars I used last November were a Cox Lotus 40 and a Cox La Cucaracha ;)

Track is a private track located in Blackwood, SA.

We think it is an old 'Southern Models' track, built in the late 60's.

Regards,

Dennis

Guest jazzbell
Sorry, but I seem to be hogging this topic at the moment.

Anyway, here is a track that I run 1/24th SCALE cars on.

BillH.jpg

The owner has a SCALE meeting every November, where we race vintage 1/24 cars.

The cars I used last November were a Cox Lotus 40 and a Cox La Cucaracha :D

Track is a private track located in Blackwood, SA.

We think it is an old 'Southern Models' track, built in the late 60's.

Regards,

Dennis

Thats a great looking 8 lane track up at Blackwood,i've followed the big meeting you guys race every

year on the forums.Decent looking size track. ;)

Another thing,one day the King will be up and running again.When time can only tell??

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Guest jazzbell
I quite enjoyed this one ;)

newtrack.jpg

Also any 2 lane blacktop (or greytop)

Next time i'm in sydeney ,ill be dropping in for a drive for sure.

Nice looking track :(

regards shane a

team thunderbird