My Ssd Mods

fordmanau

Hey guys,

Thought I'd show you what I have done with my SSD. Unfortunately I can't afford an old 6 car power base(well I can but the missus would kill me). So here is what I have done. I'm hoping the new one that comes out can improve it to a new level, but what I got at the moment is good enough.

Here's an overview of the track.

overview.JPG

My power supplies.

Powers the power base.

mainpower.JPG

Powers the lane changers(though 3 are disconnected as i'm making a new bridge)

2ndpowersupply.JPG

lanechange.JPG

Next image shows the power taps on the left, controller splits on the right

powercontroller.JPG

My track is about 24m long. It sucks when you come off the otherside. So I decided to make driver stations. They use RCA's and so far only had a couple problems with them. First off I bought s#!t RCA connectors and after a months racing they gave in. So bought new more expensive ones and they work a treat. I can control a car from any of the 4 stations around the track. It's awesome as My friends and I can be scatted around the track.

controller1.JPG

controller2.JPG

controller3.JPG

controller4.JPG

When u program a car into slot 1, you have to make sure no other controller is plugged into that. That's my only problem. As you can see I only have the 4 car power base but I have bought the controllers and have the infrastructure set up for 6 cars.

It works awesome and would recommend it to everyone.

Wade

Hi Wade,

looks like an awesome setup. I see you're using the sports lap timer, but do you have any plans to setup a digital lap timer. I've got a similar setup albeit much smaller, but don't have any way of doing digital car timing. Waiting for the new scalextric powerbase is like waiting for the second coming.

cheers

BT

Hi Wade,

looks like an awesome setup. I see you're using the sports lap timer, but do you have any plans to setup a digital lap timer. I've got a similar setup albeit much smaller, but don't have any way of doing digital car timing. Waiting for the new scalextric powerbase is like waiting for the second coming.

cheers

BT

Hey BT

Yeah running the sports lap timer. Before investing in one of these my friends and I would use a stopwatch which was no way accurate. The sports timer does the job down to a 10th of a second. Just got to make sure your in the same lane when ya cross the timer. Good enough for me. I too am holding out for the new power base. Read somewhere that release date is in Feb but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Wade

Fantastic job on those driver stations, it's not until I saw you pictures that it fell in to place with what is possible - it all makes sense now. Perhaps one day when I get around to it I'll pester you for some further information on how you configured those stations.

Cheers

Mark

Very impressive, great layout, great scenery & and excellent wiring and you certainly have invested heaps.

I know what the Mrs reckons but given what you have invested already and the layout itself a 6 car PB with PB Pro-SH & a RichG Laptower would really take your track to a higher level.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

What I really need is a way to pick up a signal from the 4 car PB or the digital lap counter so that I can do timing on the computer using software available these days. Anyone care to send details of component board changes and serial port connections?

BT

No port on either. Not even sensors on the 4 car powerbase.

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

• 1 year later...

Hi Wade - not sure if you will see this as the topic pretty old but if you read this, can you drop me an email please as I would love to know a bit more about how to make the driver stations using the digital power base as shown. I'm an electronic waste of space so whilst I can see the idea from the pics, I can't work out exactly how it works.

Thanks

Wayne

tacklepro@xtra.co.nz

"Don't trust everything you read online" - W. Shakespeare