Digital Scalextric 4 Car Power Base

lone racer

A couple of weeks ago i was running a car round the track the car suddenly stoped green light on power base was flashing turned power off at wall , light was still flashing for about a minute then went out. Turned power back on which reset power base light stayed on ran car again car, stopped again in same spot power base light was flashing again this time when power turned off light keept flashing a lot longer then went out. When power turned back on there was no power to base, power base seems to be dead have tried base and transformer on other track transformer good base still dead. No signs of burning any ideas on the cause of this, can power base be fixed or do i have to get a new one ? and has anybody else had this problem ?.

A couple of weeks ago i was running a car round the track the car suddenly stoped green light on power base was flashing turned power off at wall , light was still flashing for about a minute then went out. Turned power back on which reset power base light stayed on ran car again car, stopped again in same spot power base light was flashing again this time when power turned off light keept flashing a lot longer then went out. When power turned back on there was no power to base, power base seems to be dead have tried base and transformer on other track transformer good base still dead. No signs of burning any ideas on the cause of this, can power base be fixed or do i have to get a new one ? and has anybody else had this problem ?.

Hey mate,

Just to fill in the other forum members I was at said event when this problem happened. Lone racer had already told me about how the power would stay on when turned off.

We were racing and having a good time at that. We decided to chip a car of his with the f1 style chip. Ran it around the track with the top off all good. Put the top on and this is when we had the problem. Took the top off the car and it looks like where the connections to the guide made contact with the back of the solder joint to the lights. Took the car, power supply and 4 car power base back to mine and tried the power base. No good. Put my 4 car power base back in and tested the car. All good. Then I shorted between where the wire of the guide and the solder of the lights are and blew the chip(just to the side that caused the problem). Thought this would happen but wanted to show him that the car chip should blow before the power base(yes I know I owe him a new chip).

Been thinking about your problem this week mate and today I pulled apart my power base. As in the post above there is 2 fuses that could be the problem. By the looks of things one is .5amp and a 5amp. Might be worth checking on yours. They are surface mounted so don't know how hard they are to come by. Will have to do some research.

If you can unplug your power base and leave it with the missus and I will pick it up tomorrow. Or drop it around tonight. Whatever you want mate. I'll chuck the multimeter over the fuse and see whether it's open(bad) or short(good). Hopefully it's just a fuse.

Let me know what you want to do.

Wade

Hey mate,

Just to fill in the other forum members I was at said event when this problem happened. Lone racer had already told me about how the power would stay on when turned off.

We were racing and having a good time at that. We decided to chip a car of his with the f1 style chip. Ran it around the track with the top off all good. Put the top on and this is when we had the problem. Took the top off the car and it looks like where the connections to the guide made contact with the back of the solder joint to the lights. Took the car, power supply and 4 car power base back to mine and tried the power base. No good. Put my 4 car power base back in and tested the car. All good. Then I shorted between where the wire of the guide and the solder of the lights are and blew the chip(just to the side that caused the problem). Thought this would happen but wanted to show him that the car chip should blow before the power base(yes I know I owe him a new chip).

Been thinking about your problem this week mate and today I pulled apart my power base. As in the post above there is 2 fuses that could be the problem. By the looks of things one is .5amp and a 5amp. Might be worth checking on yours. They are surface mounted so don't know how hard they are to come by. Will have to do some research.

If you can unplug your power base and leave it with the missus and I will pick it up tomorrow. Or drop it around tonight. Whatever you want mate. I'll chuck the multimeter over the fuse and see whether it's open(bad) or short(good). Hopefully it's just a fuse.

Let me know what you want to do.

Wade

solder fuse wire across the contacts if you have a blown fuse, it will still act as a fuse

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

there will be a tiny fuse in the PB, its not worth repairing if you can't do it your self though, you can buy these on line for @ $20

Where abouts did you see these online. Cant seem to find them.

there are a couple of shops on ebay that you can get them for $20 au delivered. pm me if you want a name

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

theres nothing wrong it's most likely that a bit of dirt got into a slot it happens to me quite alot and i just get a knitting neadle and go though the slots

thanks

raikkonenwhincupfan

f1 is the best and olso v8s and nascar

• 3 months later...

hey folks, new to this forum and digital racing. Always had loads of scalextric and now the kids are old enough its getting used more and more. Recently decided that digital looked fun but due to the cost have built my conversion kit indvidually from ebay. I have chipped some of my older cars and everything works............... almost. I bought 2 corner lane change from model zone, but one flips across after the car has passed, the other works fine, my led emistter is about 5-8mm behind the guide (cant get any closer) but it moves across what seems like a millisecond after the car has passed. I will take it back and see what they say. It works great untill I run 2 cars, then after a short run, everything stops and the green light on the powerbase flashes, sometimes faster than others. I switch off the power and the light goes out, switch on again and it will all run, but only for a short period with the 2 cars before it all goes pete tong again.l I can run as long as I like with only one car, it does not matter which car or controller combo I use, it keeps going. but 2 cars has its knickers in a knot. I have tried running both cars staying to each lane with no changing, or bot in one lane veery combo I can think of but it still trips out within 2 or 3 laps of a short circuit. does anyone have any ideas? do I need to shell out for another powerbase? Thanks Adam

Try tightening the track connections where the lane changer track piece fits. If its a curved LC try make sure the plug is pushed in where the sensor track piece joins. Good luck.

Welcome to Auslot :)

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com