Holden Torana (slr5000)

SlotsofCars

Hi all

I was so ecstatic when I found out that Scalextric had announced that they will be producing the L34. There seemed to be a long wait, but they finally arrive just before Christmas.

I immediately went to work on converting one into a red SLR5000. I finished the project in record time with the final touches going on this afternoon and thought I would share some photos of the work and final product. I hope you enjoy the images.

I made a drop tank from some thin tin soldered together and used some flattened tin wire for the straps.

DSC_5746_small.jpg

After stripping the paint from the car I gave it a hit of undercoat and then started work building the bonnet scoop from styrene and paddle pop sticks.

DSC_5731_small.jpg

DSC_5734_small.jpg

I then finished the scoop giving it a fine coat with some modelling putty, sanded it all back and gave it another hit of undercoat. After some fine wet and dry it was then ready for the top coat.

DSC_5752_small.jpg

To finish off, I then created decals using my printer, made some exhaust tips out of aluminium tubing, removed the paint from the headlights to make them clear, removed the roll cage, raised the rear a little and added some fatter rear tyres to make it look more like a road going car.

Here are some images of the finished project...

DSC_5779_small.jpg

DSC_5813_small.jpg

DSC_5815_small.jpg

Cheers Rick

aah well, forget about my meagre effort at sorting out the wheels.

Slotsa - what do you do for an encore, . . . . maybe wave a hat and an XU1 pops out, lands on the floor, wheelies straight to the track, grabs the controller and self-drives for a lap record.....

as the Italians say "spettacolare magnifico"

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Wow! But the colour's wrong. The one in my life was dark gold. Spectacular all the same.

I had a feeling there'd be a few adaptations with this li'l car. No wonder people are buying them by the 3s and 5s!

Chsers

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Can a Holden expert confirm something. I thought the LH SLR had square lights and the L34 had the round ones fitted?

Yes the LH SL/R did have rectangular headlamps and the L34 production option round.

The owner of this SL/R saw the L34 at the motor show and changed his headlamps to round because he preferred the look. Remember how HQ owners changed to Statesman fronts. Same thing.

If red wasn't faster why are Ducati's, Ferrari's and fire engines mainly that colour. <_<

ps. You have done an absolutely brilliant job. The paint scheme is LX isn't it?

Edited by Bulsara

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

Wow! But the colour's wrong. The one in my life was dark gold. Spectacular all the same.

I had a feeling there'd be a few adaptations with this li'l car. No wonder people are buying them by the 3s and 5s!

Chsers

Embs

But red goes faster Embs!!!

Narh.... It's dragged down by the weight of people's stares as it passes. Or maybe that's the weight of expectations.

Edited by Ember

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hey Slotsofcars,

I got into this hobby for some fun and relaxation,

now my blood is boiling, I'm as frustrated as hell 'cause I want one (actually several).

Think I'll swing over to the Blue Ovals and then I wont be as greedy.

Well done fella. (I could have a couple down to you in 3 hours to start some more <_<:):o)

Flip

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Fantastic job Rick!

Love the drop tank and scoop!

Looks like this one saw a hard life and has just had a respray...your paint lines are too crisp to be from the factory!!! <_<

Excellent job!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

• 9 months later...