My First Track Build

s13

Hey all im new to these forums. have started building a track in the back shed. Just your basic old scalextric set nothing fancy. Most of this track is about 30 years old.

i have got it setup with a separate transformer for each lane.

total rack length 14m

with power being supplied at 3 locations.

i have got 2 drivers stations and can drive either lane from both stations

its mounted on hinges on the wall so it can fold down out of the way.

the track is still getting tweaked a little but i think this is how the final design will be.

currently building an IR lap counting system and plan to copper tape the track when i find where to get the stuff.

only got a couple of cars atm but will build the collection.

i built the top section with the new drift cars in mind bit of wd40 spray on the track makes for lots of sliding fun :)

now just planning on how i'm going to do the scenery. as can be seen in the last picture ( the wire) im planning on building a mountain on the top with an overhang over the track.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

S13,

That is an awsome use of space and the track layout in my opinion would be great to run on. Nice long straights and it looks as though you dont have any R1 turns which in my opinion makes for better racing and less offs.

As for the copper tape try...

https://www.theleadlightworkshop.com.au/cat...gue-foilscopper

Others may know of other suppliers (or local suppliers). Just make sure you clean all the wd40 off with alcohol or similar before you apply the tape.

My brothers and my first track started out using 30 year old scalextric track. It works as good as any!

Keep up the good work and keep pics flowing. By the way, good to see your shed is being transformed into boys toys room as well

Dave

Welcome. Congrats on the track. Nice to see someone else still running the plastic fantastic. :)

Looks like a fun and fast track. Particularly like the mountain end.

Only concern for me would be the Xovers. Depends on the style of racing, but they do promote carnage. You might want to look at moving the one that goes under the mountain. Cars deslot there it looks like it might take some hard work to get them back.

Other than that. Enjoy!

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

the only bad part of the track is the banked corner i have behind the hill if your not going full speed can cause problems on very low cars... so might need to buy some new banked corners or redesign that end.

the tunnel is deceptive i only have the tunnel openings on 1 end the back end is completely open so makes it very easy to get cars if they crash... and unfortunately to keep the track even need to have the crossover there.

and yes its a very fast track coming under the tunnel full speed into a banked corner then into about a 5m straight the cars get a hell of a lot of speed then into a crossover sometimes gets messy. i might need to build a catch net at the end to stop from breaking cars as they go flying.

thanks for the info on the copper tape. what size did you guys use ?

the wife calls my shed the man cave :-) a place where i disappear for hours.

when i built the track all i wanted was speed with a few curves which can be seen in the final result no sharp corners :)

after a bit of thought i got rid of the banked corner. get a lot less de-slots now much more enjoyable.

dont know if you guys have ever seen it i though of a good idea to make a bridge over the track like the big Bridgestone tyre. bought a wheel barrow wheel and cut it in half. im going to use it for the infrared timing lights.

• 2 weeks later...

time for an update

5.jpg

started to plaster the mountain now. the info on this site was helpful found this plaster gauze just wet and put over frame :D

6.jpg

7.jpg

tyre bridge (used a wheelbarrow wheel tyre)

8.jpg

9.jpg

the tyre bridge also contains the IR leds for the lap counting system when i finish it.

10.jpg

ive now added side bits to track for the whole mountain good for sliding non mag cars

11.jpg

nice neat wiring job. have 3 power taps 2 power supplies and 2 driver stations ( can drive either lane from each station

12.jpg

Looking good mate!

You can't beat fast & flowy for layout, my uncle had like 5 tracks in a big shed over about 15 years & the best one he ever had for racing & fun was just a huge figure 8, with each corner not bein constant radius so it wasn't boring. It was pretty simple but it provided the best racin he ever had...

Anyway it's nice to see some more tracks in Perth especially... good stuff!

I Miss Brocky...

Looking good mate!

You can't beat fast & flowy for layout, my uncle had like 5 tracks in a big shed over about 15 years & the best one he ever had for racing & fun was just a huge figure 8, with each corner not bein constant radius so it wasn't boring. It was pretty simple but it provided the best racin he ever had...

Anyway it's nice to see some more tracks in Perth especially... good stuff!

Ahh someone else that understands real racing, nice one Silver....

• 3 months later...
got the timing system working tonight.... so much better now i can see lap times improving. ended up going with the ultimate racer timing software. works well and is easy to setup... the guide in the workshop section made it a breeze.

Hi there just a tip dont lock your track down as it may cause it to ripple and lift up in the heat. Especially with the extremes of temperature that we get here in WA.Looking good! ,Syd

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Hey been a while since i updated.

i ended up nailing the track down... because the track was quite old it was allready a bit buckled so by nailing it down i could get it straight . the shed gets very hot and very cold and didnt have any ill effects from nailing it down... any places it bucled i justed added a few more nails :huh:

ive put grass down in most areas.

finished plastering the mountain.

extended the mountain a little bit. now the R1 curve is flat rather than part of the downward curve.. a lot less de-slots now.

also allowed for a pit lane that goes under the track

still to do

paint mountain

setup track lighting

build pits

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

• 2 years later...

not much has changed on this track just maintenance and buying a few new cars. thinking about going to digital to liven things up a bit more but for now this gets me by. daughter is 2 now and whenever she sees the shed points at it and says "cars" i think i have her hooked :-P

so i made her a little podium to stand on when playing. couple of milk crates a wooden frame and a bag of cement to keep it sturdy. it passed the wife's safety testing so all good.

stand.JPG

Scalex Classic responds well to being nailed or even glued down if you cut off the locking tabs, push them together, then nail/screw/glue or whatever to the table top. It works even better if you solder wire jumpers to each electrical connection underneath before gluing down. Even beter if you can get some MIB or new old stock before you start. This IMHO is the best plastic track ever made if handled correctly from new.

Cliffy