Sign in to follow this  
rick1776

Toy Cars With Tobacco Sponshopship

Asking for help from any forum member.

Does anyone have a toy car, slot car, or any type of model car that they purchased in Australia prior to 1 April 1992 that had tobacco sponsorship as part of its livery. Now this can not be a car that you painted or modified to have the tobacco livery on it. It must have been purchased with the tobacco livery already on it and it must have been purchased in Australia.

Anyone out there that can help?

And yes there is areason for all this.

cheers

rick1776

I do the Tony Longhurst benson and hedges ford sierra 1:43 scale i think

also i have a few f1 cars from the S.A GP in 1986 88 and 89 such as the Mansell ferrari that has marlboro logos on it

the f1 cars are made by onyx

Edited by Obsidith

Untitled-1.jpg

rick - off topic - but i sent you a pm on slotforum -

i need Jules email asap to get him some info on one of his projects in the next couple of hours

pm me back on slotforum please if you can provide

much appreciated!

Ron

Asking for help from any forum member.

Does anyone have a toy car, slot car, or any type of model car that they purchased in Australia prior to 1 April 1992 that had tobacco sponsorship as part of its livery. Now this can not be a car that you painted or modified to have the tobacco livery on it. It must have been purchased with the tobacco livery already on it and it must have been purchased in Australia.

Anyone out there that can help?

And yes there is areason for all this.

I still have quite a few 1/43 resin kits built that came with the decals supplied if thats any help

Thanks guys. Looking for any toy cars that had tobacco signage on it that was sold in Australia prior to 1992. It sets a precedent. If I get a favourable response from the minister it opens up certain liveries for potential future cars. Its work in progress. :lol:

cheers

rick1776

And I also remembered that I had multiple Matchbox style cars with Marlboro sponsorship and even a Lotus with JPS on it.

Hello,

i have a JPS 77'F1 slot car it was my dads and he had it before i was born i belive (1982)

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

You doing some Lobbying? You need to call for letter writers, post the address of the Minister you want to contact, put a proforma Word file on as many slot lists and forums as you can, write something we can relate to. You need as many letters as you can, it's a numbers game when you lobby....

I have a John Player Special F1 by Scalextric (although I couldn't find a number on the body) and a Slot it Porsche with Rothmans Tampo that comes with a sticker over it, you peel off...

Cliffy,

In my opinion there is no way youre going to successfully lobby a polly about tobacco, just no way known. It would be political suicide. Can you imagine the media and opposition. They would have a field day with it. The Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act of 1992 does however have exemptions that you can apply for. What I have to do is convince the Minister that this is not some clandestine attempt to ram ciggys down kids mouths so to speak. And I need to do this very quietly without fuss.

cheers

rick1776

My thought's too, but hey, no harm in trying. All the things need are a PG rating. Of course the legislation involved would be horrendous. But that's what gov't is for, red tape, they love it...

But it'd be a bit like repealing Helmet laws.... or pulling your own teeth with a pair of pliers.... <_<

Come to think of it, that's what it's like whenever you deal with Gov't in this country anyway....

How about alcohol sponsorship?? Why do so some current diecast models have alcohol sponsorship yet we cant get Scalextric to bring out any V8 Supercars with alcohol sponsorship?? ie the Jim Beam car which was replaced by the Jeld Wen car....

Number one....Scaly make toys for kids. That is their core market space. Just because some adults choose to also buy the toys doesnt change this fact. There is nothing illegal about alcohol but its not the look or image Scaly are looking for.

I mean, Mattel could market Jim Beam Barbie and Kentuky Bourban Ken dolls but is this the corporate toy image they want to go with? I suspect it would hurt sales. Id be surprised if "adult" sales accounted for more than 0.1% of all Scaly sales. All you'd need is for one of those "Today Tonight" shows to do a "shame shame shame" story on alcohol sponsored scaly slot cars and kids and I dare say sales would drop dead overnight.

cheers

rick1776

Your right but cant they start a market for 18+ ??? and have them sold at certain stores and not toy stores??

Number one....Scaly make toys for kids. That is their core market space. Just because some adults choose to also buy the toys doesnt change this fact. There is nothing illegal about alcohol but its not the look or image Scaly are looking for.

I mean, Mattel could market Jim Beam Barbie and Kentuky Bourban Ken dolls but is this the corporate toy image they want to go with? I suspect it would hurt sales. Id be surprised if "adult" sales accounted for more than 0.1% of all Scaly sales. All you'd need is for one of those "Today Tonight" shows to do a "shame shame shame" story on alcohol sponsored scaly slot cars and kids and I dare say sales would drop dead overnight.

Rick,

Wouldn't it be easier to "commission" patto to knock up the required booze and fag decals that you and the rest of us want so we can do up some schmick looking cars aftermarket? And if you're dealing with government then your talking time, a long time......

(Anyone know of any knotch back 'stangs that had heavy fag advertising? I think I'm onto Rick's mission... :lol: )

Normal people worry me

Shhh keep that to yourself Triggy. Ya letting the cat out of the bag mate.

Scaly V8SC,

If I told you how much it costs to get a car to market youd shite yourself. If you think you can get change from 50K your dreaming. And 50K would be absolute rock bottom. Something decent is closer to 80K. Its all about the bottom line mate. Why would I root around at great expense to maybe sell an extra 100 cars. Set up a different distribution setup etc just to sell an extra 100 cars? Bottom line wins.

Edited by rick1776

cheers

rick1776

i would like to know the ratio of the age groups of under 18's to over 18's of who buy the V8's

Shhh keep that to yourself Triggy. Ya letting the cat out of the bag mate.

Scaly V8SC,

If I told you how much it costs to get a car to market youd shite yourself. If you think you can get change from 50K your dreaming. And 50K would be absolute rock bottom. Something decent is closer to 80K. Its all about the bottom line mate. Why would I root around at great expense to maybe sell an extra 100 cars. Set up a different distribution setup etc just to sell an extra 100 cars? Bottom line wins.

When I was a kid, I had a Corgi JPS Lotus just like this:

http://www.h-spot.net/corgi/lotus72d.jpg

Would have been 1/43 I think.

I also had a 1/18 version like the one here:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/841195

That crossbrace doodad sitting in the cockpit was for doing wheel changes.

There's a chance one or both are still in storage _somewhere_ in my dad's shed. I'd forgotten all about them until I read this.

Russ